Attaching fleece?

buggaboosmommy

Question

6 answers to this question

If you are attaching fleece, you could just trim the fleece to the desired size, either same as the afghan or leaving a "border" around. Since fleece does not fray, you could just do a "blanket" stitch by hand with a yarn that coordinates with the afghan. Any stitch would work you just want something to secure it to the afghan edges, you could even whipstitch it.

If you want to get incredibly fancy, you could run your sewing machine around the edge (about 1/4" seam) without thread. This would create holes that you could then crochet into, to put an edge on, which you could then crochet to the afghan top. The heavier duty the sewing machine needle, the bigger the hole and the easier to crochet into. I have done this with a dress and some other projects. You may need to use a smaller hook to pull the yarn through the holes, than you actually crochet with. A little time consuming, but worth the effort for the finished effect.

For those of you without sewing machines, you can go through with a small pair of scissors and make parallel slits at regular intervals along the edge, or if you have an awl (available at most craft and hardware stores) you can punch holes through the fleece. Sometimes a small thread hook will work also. Then continue with your yarn and hook.

NOTE: these techniques only work with fleece, because it does not fray or unravel at the edges. For other fabrics, you should bind or sew a hem to the edge of the fabric, before attaching to an afghan or other crocheted piece.

I have also thought about putting fleece on the back of an afghan.... I love the look of the BIG Granny afghans but I don't like sniggling under one because of the holes.... air gets thru and doesn't seem as warm as it would if it was a solid piece. I like the idea of a blanket stitch around the outside edge.... Would also be nice with a shell type edging crocheted around too...

Tina

If you do back your afghan, remember to join the two layers together in a similar way to a fabric Patchwork Quilt.

You can do it by using a firm thread, (which ties nicely) to tie the layers together, by going through the centres of each square (if in squares) or spread evenly about every 12 inches on a pattern done in rows, and tie in a firm knot on the back of the afghan.

Maybe you can look up the info on a Patchwork & Quilting site. I am sure there are plenty out there.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived