'Nother Newbie

Guest Dianabow1

Guest Dianabow1

Just found your website from Crochet bythehook's site. Beautiful work there! I really like what I see here and am eager to explore! I've not belonged to a board like this before so please forgive me when I ask what will seem to be ignorant questions in the future...will try to keep them to a minimum.

I learned to crochet when I was little but didn't really pick it up again until the past few years. I'm 43 so I have a lot to catch up on. Both my children are now married so I find I have a little more time on my hands--and SO many more ideas I want to try out. I am currently learning the Tunisian stitch by making dishcloths. I also love making small thread items--I'm afraid to take on some of the huge projects but like making bookmarks & such. I want to make a bunch of snowflakes to give to the kids for next year's Christmas tree plus my daughter asked for her to make me some garland with stars. I usually only have 3 or 4 projects going at one time and am amazed by those who can keep track of more than that. I keep telling myself to stay off the computer to give myself more time to crochet but am really bad about getting caught up in groups & pattern searches.

Crochet is my first love in crafting but I also sew (made my daughter's wedding dress & coat as well as all her prom/homecoming dresses). Recently, I've also been learning basket weaving and hubby & I are going to embark on making a few together. Our family loves the out of doors and, when the weather is a bit warmer (it's sleeting/snowing/raining in our part of West Virginia currently) we enjoy camping & fishing.

I work at a VA medical center as a coding compliance coordinator and love sharing craft ideas with my co-workers--they're the ones who finally got me to try basket weaving. I also enjoy talking with the patients when I get the chance. They have some great stories to tell. I recently sent off for information on the Library of Congress' Veterans' History project and am eager to start interviewing some of them. Going to start with family members and add others as I have time. This will work in well with genealogy research...so many things to do, so little time! Lately, I've also been involved in transcribing ship logs from the ship my husband was on when he was in the Navy (USS Orleck). That has been very interesting. I also love to read and can't wait until February 1--the new JD Robb is due out.

Hope I wasn't too long winded but I do tend to ramble a bit. I look forward to hearing from you!

Hi!

welcome to Crochetville!

I'll soon be 43 but have little ones, middles, and a teen too.

I started learning Tunisian a couple of months ago, and my first project was a dishcloth - need to get some more patterns and try again.

Your history work sounds very interesting. :))

I look forward to seeing you on the boards!

Archived