i have a friend...

I have friend she crochets ,but she takes other peoples ideas and copies the pattern and sells the pattern of someone else's ideas and she also sells the finished products and say they were her own designs .I tried to tell her that is copy right infringement she does'nt care her atitude is everybody steals other people concepts so whats new . i tried to tell her if she gets caught she'll get sued .What should i do she won't listen to me. can you give me some advice please.

I hate to say it, but I think you have done all you can. You have made her aware of the fact she is infringing on copyrights & that it is illegal. Some people have a "who cares" attitude until they get caught. Several years ago, someone at a local craft fair was selling needlework images of Disney characters. Somehow Disney got wind of it, took her to court, & she was fined. So, you never know...

Alosha

You might like to try this:

next time she wants to show you something or talk about something she's made tell her you aren't interested and you won't encourage her to steal other people's work, which for some of those people is probably their livelihood. If she doesn't get the point ask her to think about the food she is taking right off somebody's table.

Sometimes you just have to hit people right over the head with a lump of 4 x 2 before they 'get' that they are doing anything wrong.

I hope she stops soon as being sued for copyright infringement is a very serious issue.

It might sound a little evil, but if you're really bothered by your friend's actions, why not contact the people she's stealing from and let them know what's going on?

Yep. She's not a friend. Report her to where it matters. If it's an e-bay thing, you can report her to e-bay. Otherwise, notify the owners of the patterns.

I have friend she takes other peoples ideas and copies the pattern and sells the pattern of someone else's ideas and she also sells the finished products and say they were her own designs .

Nicki

I have an honours degree in English Law, what your friend is doing sounds like the exact legal definition of copyright infringement. I do know that US copyright law is even harsher than English law.

Yvonne

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess that if your friend is being that blatant about it, she will be caught very soon, whether you decide to take action or not. I think you have already done the right thing by confronting her. I would suggest to follow your own heart and mind as to whether or not you feel you should take more action and turn her in. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Archived