Post a picture of your grip style

jimbo

twas just going through this thread once again and thought i'd bounce it back up. Its soooo fascinating to see the different grip styles and its really helpful to see how the fingers arrange themselves. I've used this thread alot to come up with my hook shapes.

Any other grips we're missing???

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a cam, but I am a classic pencil grip gal :hook It's awesome to see how many other grips there are, very cool thread.

I would be ahshamed to show you guys how I crochet, it's ridiculous!! I crochet holding my hook and yarn in the same hand and yarn over as if I were knitting. My other hand simply holds the material. At one point during every stitch, my hand is completely off of my hook and it is flying through the air being held simply by the loop.:blush

This sounds like me too - I think it might be 'cos I was taught to knit first when I was little, and when I decided to try crochet (self taught) that's just how the hook felt comfortable - it is what I was used to.

I was quite ashamed of my grip :blush . Had myself convinced there was a "proper" way to do it and mine was wrong. End result is good so I don't think it really matters how I get there, so I'm gonna stop trying other grips now - I like it my way!!!

Gah! Everytime I think to myself, "I need to photo my hands for that cool thread of Jimbo's," the camera is out of juice. I have a hard time describing my grip and would love to show it instead.

I'm going to get the husband to rev up that camera.

• 1 month later...

(Disclaimer, I have grubby hands from working in my garden all summer!)

The first picture is my grip, the "overhand" grip. Doesn't look dainty and graceful but it works for me.

The second picture I posted because I wonder if ANYONE holds their hook this way. This is the way Maggie Righetti demonstrates in her book "Crocheting in Plain English". She states that you must NEVER hold your hand over the hook - the way I do. I can barely even make my hand hold the hook the way she says....no way could I actually crochet that way!

crochetgrip.jpg

crochetgrip2.jpg

This thread is hilarious!!! I taught my daughters to crochet and they each hold their hooks differently from me..I hold mine like a pencil..will have to take a snapshot.:hook

Me too! I was beginning to feel all alone after looking at a few others here. So glad to have company it was the way I was taught and felt so natural. :clap

Oh, I have to add another observation here:

Several years ago I was at a CGOA convention here in Atlanta which was attended by Lily Chin. (If anyone here hasn't heard of her, she is a renowned crocheting/knitting expert and has won a title as "Fastest Crocheter") I sat behind Lily during one of the presentations and watched her crochet and I was dazzled to say the least. The woman's hands were a blur, I mean she was TEARING IT UP! :)

Anyway, Lily uses the "knife" grip like I do and I read an interview with her where she swears that is why she is able to crochet so fast.

Fascinating, Jennifer!

What's interesting is that i have been experimenting with different grip shapes for my hooks, based alot on this very thread. And one of the experimental hooks that i thought would work well didn't seem to fit most of the other grips you see here. Long story long.. i tried your grip on it and it seems to fit. Amazing.

Please pm me.... i'll give it to you.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...
I hold mine like that as well.

Taken from the "Post a picture of your Grip Style" thread.

I think this is the "rolling grip" that i've recently been hearing about, that requires little or no wrist movement. Its all fingers from what i'm told.

Is that correct, you Rolling Grippers?

I'd really like to know cause I've done a hook with a kinda hourglass shape that i think would be killer for this kind of grip.

Jimbo

so, Happy, tell me about it. Does your grip minimize wrist movement and maximize finger motion? Do you get sore from crocheting? In your wrist or fingers?

AND do you call your grip a "rolling grip"?

• 2 months later...

quote=funkyreporter;377871]A Choked Toothbrush:irk ... you call my grip style a Choked Toothbrush? And how did you come to this conclusion? The Encyclopedia of Crochet Grip Styles, Volume 3, calls this the Choked Toothbrush - not to be confused with the Stabbing Knife????:grumpy

Fine. Choked Toothbrush it is. :ccompute

:rofl:rofl:rofl:roflyou r to funny luv to read your replies:yes

• 3 weeks later...

wow, I love this thread! I hold mine like Shella's pic as well. I thought I was doing it wrong (because my grandmother was holding hers like a pencil and I saw someone else teaching someone that way too) but I am so much more comfortable holding it like that and I got faster and the thread doesn't get tangled. It does the other way. :) YEA! I am not weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up since the photos here are sooooo interesting.

Amazing how many different grip styles there REALLY are! Makes "overhand" and "underhand" seem like pretty general descriptions, eh?

• 3 years later...
1134074574_0151981254_m.jpg

Kinda pencil, kinda I quit smoking right before learning to crochet..

I hold my hook like a pencil, but the yarn in my left hand exactly the same as ankhesenamun. First time I see someone else holding their yarn like me.

Great to see this thread back in circulation. There are SO many different grip styles, as you can see if you go back through and look at the photos. I started the thread to get a better idea of how to style my hook grips. I began making hooks with just a thumb rest because it seemed to me that most crochetiers use the overhand (toothbrush) grip, then modified it to the current thumb/forefinger rest which is intended to be more comfortable for both overhand and underhand grips. Even so, and as you can see, it's next to impossible to make a hook that will make EVERY hand happy.

Thanks, Kriekie, for bringing the thread back!

Archived