The Bob and Vicky project.

lily

I have two things to talk about here....

FIRST: hate the idea that I'm in here asking for help without having had time yet to contribute to others. I have already responded to the newest request here, and will be sending a few squares... and I have fully intended to be in this particular forum a lot, just not until the christmas crunch was over.

My life didn't allow it to happen this way, and I feel like a jerk for even posting here. we'll get to that in a moment.

now on to the request.

I live in a small town, population 1549. Seven people in this tiny town are currently battling cancer. This is not counting those who are in remission.

Two of these people happen to be husband and wife. she is in the hospital right now recovering from her first surgery, and waiting to be healthy enough for the chemo, and he is on his second round of chemo.

These people are very active in the community, and I was very inspired by the whole 'comfortghan' concept, so I made up flyers and sent them around to everyone and every place I could think of, looking for crocheters and knitters to make these folks a comfortghan apiece.

so far I have had 4 people respond. 1 is a crocheter, the other 3, knitters.I was actually amazed there were so many. I have exhausted my resources and can only hope that more people will come out of the woodwork and help with this, from the town. I sincerely hope there are more yarn junkies in this town than there are people with cancer.

but I doubt it. something in the water, I think. I've never been to a place where cancer is so common that it doesn't surprise folks to hear yet another person has it.

What I'm really wishing for is to make this project an ongoing thing in the community, possibly even turning it into a teaching group in order to get more people crocheting, and get a comfortghan made for every person in this town who is fighting cancer or any other yucky thing. Perhaps even start a project linus chapter.... but that is for way, way later. (PL has been something I've been really really looking forward to getting involved with since I started crocheting.... this is probably where this sudden compulsion to blanket half the town has come from)

Right now I'm feeling overwhelmed because I am afraid we won't be able to get them done fast enough. I mentioned this concern to one of the volunteers and she said

"you know, I heard from a friend of mine that online groups usually put requests out and that might help. It's too bad none of us are in any of those groups"

so then I felt like a jerk, which is why I've decided to ignore the 'jerk-ness' of posting this in the first place, I'm sucking it up and asking for help.

thank you for reading so far and letting me vent.

My request is for 7 inch or smaller squares, made with Caron SS. pattern, hook, color, doesn't matter. if you have a 5 or 6 inch square, that's fine too. I just don't care, as long as it is a Caron SS square.

My hope is to get these two comfortghans finished and then, at the joining party, discover that we have extra squares to start another one, of course at a slower pace, for one of the other cancer victims here, and get a real group started, for teaching, mentoring, and charity.

I would be honored and grateful for any help from crochetville. Even if you can't send a square or two, Any advice you can send to my PM box would be appreciated.

as for sending the squares. Easier for me to post the address of our local library here, rather than PMing anyone interested with my address. I'll be so busy in the next few weeks, i don't know if I'll have time to. this is probably my last post until next year.

here is the address.

Brigham Memorial Library

ATTN: Casey RE: Afghan project

131 Plain Street

Sharon, WI 53585

thank you in advance for any advice or squares, but thank you most of all to anyone who reads this post. Words cannot really convey how much it means to me to have a place where I can get all of this off my chest and tell my fears and hopes about this project.

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sissie, Caron SS is a brand, it is Caron Simply Soft. They carry it at my Walmart and Michaels', it's inexpensive and soft.I'm just going to make some squares and send them, the original poster may not be able to check back right away to answer us about still needing them.

I just bought some Caron Simply Soft Brites (a dark pink color and a purple) would those be ok to make up a couple of squares? I would be really proud to send you a couple (non-fancy) squares, being that I am a relatively new crocheter. I just don't want to send a shocking pink square when she is looking for more "normal" colors....

So sad to hear about this cancer-filled town......

Tina

I've recieved squares from emergizer and grannytme. Thank you so much!!

Yes, I have been very busy, Sorry to not get back here sooner. I had another afghan I was getting finished for a friend, plus my heinous potholder project that should have been done at Christmas.... and trying to organize Knitters and Crocheters together for this project has been a nightmare.

Any color will do. Bright, light, black, white, etc. Whatever tickles your fancy or you have lying around begging to be used.

And I'll take as many as you want to send. The project will be an ongoing one, and it's not fair to ask for to many. But any you want to send I will gladly take and use. after the initial 2 afghans I will probably be doing it on my own, just because. And as of yesterday there are 7 more people on my list.

I think a cutoff date of Feb 1st would be fair, though, because there are so many other people here who could also use squares. After that date I will still be doing it, but I'll have this thread closed because I will have had a good running start at what I'm trying to accomplish.

thank you all again so much!!!

Hi, Casey --

I just did two squares for you in Caron SS plum wine left over from another project -- it's awfully darn pink but you did say that it didn't matter. If I can find the rest of the navy blue SS, I'll work 'em up and put whatever I get done in the mail to you on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Elissa

• 3 weeks later...

Archived