Military Crocheters

It's the uniform! It'll get you every time!!

Do you find that when they have the Marines out for Toys for Tots you just HAVE to donate something? I just LOVE the commercial for Toys for Tots where the little kid goes up to the marine and asks if he is Santa Claus. :cry:cry:cry

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a sucker for any military charity! I just signed up to be a blanketeer for Soldier's Angels. But having been around the military since I was 17, either by being in myself or a wife, I am just drawn to it all. My best friend is a Marine so I have a soft spot for them, too!

It is amazing, isn't it? I am living in military housing that is 30+ miles away from main post and I kind of miss being on post. I got used to seeing road marching soldiers while standing at the bus stop with the older boys!

I know what you mean... I miss driving into work each morning and seeing the guys and girls out there doing their run in formation.... I miss a lot of little things about not being a real part of it, right now, at least....

It's the uniform! It'll get you every time!!

totally! there was an army chaplain voluntereing as a bell ringer for the salvation army. i had to let my boy give him money twice...... just drawn to the uniform..haha

I know what you mean... I miss driving into work each morning and seeing the guys and girls out there doing their run in formation.... I miss a lot of little things about not being a real part of it, right now, at least....

My husband thinks I am a little weird, but I actually enjoy shining boots. But it works well for him, since he is lousy at it! I actually get jealous sometimes that he still wears the uniform!!

totally! there was an army chaplain voluntereing as a bell ringer for the salvation army. i had to let my boy give him money twice...... just drawn to the uniform..haha

I know what you mean! The soldiers from our post set up a collection point in the mall last weekend and I had to help out. They were doing a little event for little kids and it was so sweet!!

I know we can't ask for prayers..but since ya'll are military families..I know you will understand. On Saturday, we had an Airman (he was an aircraft maintance tech) he fell off a KC-10. If you know what those are..you know he's in pretty bad shape. He is recently married, less than one month. His family made it here from Texas..but with the holidays, you know money is tight for everyone. So...from one military wife to another..please keep this family in your thoughts and dare I say prayers? They sure could use it. Thanks

Donna

It doesn't look good and hasn't since Saturday. We don't get "official" updates until around lunchtime...but prayers and thoughts are sure needed right now. I don't have alot of money, who in the military does? But, I'm going to donate alittle to the fund we have set up today..just in case. From the Travis Community, thank you for your thoughts.

Donna

I wish there was something I could do. I used to be stationed not far from Travis and spent some time there visiting AF friends. But my thoughts will definately be there.

I just received an update on the young Airman I spoke of, and I'm sad to say he passed away. With his injuries, it was expected, just not so soon. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, I know his new wife and family could use all they can get right now. We have a large fundraiser set up for this afternoon, we had to move it because of his death, to help the family out with the cost of traveling, etc. And since his wife is part of our Medical Group, I'm working with our Spouses Group to get some donations. I just can not imagine what she is going through.

Thank you again.

Donna

Oh, God! I am so sorry. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I can't imagine either the situation the young wife finds herself in.

I also remember that women on active duty who had babies overseas had a special exception. Normally civilians can't fly the free military planes, but in the case of a sick newborn who needed to be flown to Walter Reed for Neonatal Intensive Care, the military defined the newborn as being a part of the active duty mother for the first 6 weeks. It was a rather nice way to get around the regs.

Another memory: remember when being pregnant could pretty much guarantee you'd get out if you requested it? When you were pregnant, did you ever have someone offer to buy your urine so they could pass a pregnancy test and request to be let out of their enlistment contract?

I was on active duty when I had my first and third. For the first in 1980, I wore civvies and I got 6 weeks of convalescent leave. I was a reservist when I had my 2nd in 1984 and by then the maternity uniform was out, but only the Class A. I'm not sure when the maternity BDU came out. It wasn't out when I had my 3rd child in 1986 and I only received 4 weeks of leave for that birth. I remember the Army moving the leave back to 6 weeks soon after that. I was pissed as I had to take accumulated leave after the 4 they gave me were up.

Reading these posts sure bring back memories.:D

Madelyn

I also remember that women on active duty who had babies overseas had a special exception. Normally civilians can't fly the free military planes, but in the case of a sick newborn who needed to be flown to Walter Reed for Neonatal Intensive Care, the military defined the newborn as being a part of the active duty mother for the first 6 weeks. It was a rather nice way to get around the regs.

Another memory: remember when being pregnant could pretty much guarantee you'd get out if you requested it? When you were pregnant, did you ever have someone offer to buy your urine so they could pass a pregnancy test and request to be let out of their enlistment contract?

I just got out 2 years ago when I was preggers and someone offered me $500 for my pee. I thought it was crazy!!!

Yep, if you were expecting you were counseled on your options, one of which was an honorable discharge. Now as for anyone asking me personally to supply them with positive pee, nope. No one would dare ask me that. :blush

Madelyn

The same girl was trying to get out on pregnancy before they Whiz Quizzed her and found out she has an X hound. Needless to say, I walked from that little transaction!

donna honey i am so very sorry to hear about this young mans death. how incredibly sad that is to hear about. am not a military wife or mother, but can certainly include this poor young mans wife and his parents and the rest of his family. in my prayers prayers are being said for them all and will keep them going as long as his wife and family needs them . sending some your way too sweetie. please if ya get the chance to talk to them, give them my condolences in their loss. terribly sad and such a shame for him to die at such a young age :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :ohdear:ohdear:ohdear:ohdear:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug to you darling. please let us know how they are doing:manyheart

Donna... I am sosorry to hear about the airman's death.

I am glad to hear that your base is steping up and tryign to help out. That's one thing about the military families, they always pull together in times of crisis...

My thoughs are with you and his family.

This is an awesome thread. I hope everybody takes the time to read through it even if they have no military connection.

Donna, now I understand an earlier comment you made somewhere else. Take care of you as well as the family you are helping. My thoughts are with you all.

The number of military connections amazes me. Mine are fewer and foreign, my Dad was in the British Army, he served in Borneo, Brunei, East Germany and Malaysia as well as few other places and he was a reserve for years and years. He told me he was asked to join the SAS but I think he was teasing me! My oldest brother was in the Army as well for 10 years. I nearly enlisted because I wanted to be a dreaded Physical Training Instructor but got into boys and parties instead!

That said, I always get teary-eyed when I think of anybody serving their country in a totally unselfish way, especially when I think of the hardships they and their families endure.

My dh is active duty, we are at our first duty station and so far we have really enjoyed it. Keeps me sane once and a while to just think on stitches. With the 82nd, DH is always ready to go and we have been fortunate that he hasn't had to deploy yet. We had a few close calls, but we have been blessed so far.

All in all it has been good for us. I think we will stay in for a while. Hubby is looking to go ti flight school. So we might be moving again to Fort Rucker.

This is an awesome thread. I hope everybody takes the time to read through it even if they have no military connection.

Donna, now I understand an earlier comment you made somewhere else. Take care of you as well as the family you are helping. My thoughts are with you all.

The number of military connections amazes me. Mine are fewer and foreign, my Dad was in the British Army, he served in Borneo, Brunei, East Germany and Malaysia as well as few other places and he was a reserve for years and years. He told me he was asked to join the SAS but I think he was teasing me! My oldest brother was in the Army as well for 10 years. I nearly enlisted because I wanted to be a dreaded Physical Training Instructor but got into boys and parties instead!

That said, I always get teary-eyed when I think of anybody serving their country in a totally unselfish way, especially when I think of the hardships they and their families endure.

Oh, no! Not the dreaded PT Instructor! Seriously, the best thing I ever did was being a soldier! I loved it! SAS, huh?! I spent most of my years in Army intelligence!

My dh is active duty, we are at our first duty station and so far we have really enjoyed it. Keeps me sane once and a while to just think on stitches. With the 82nd, DH is always ready to go and we have been fortunate that he hasn't had to deploy yet. We had a few close calls, but we have been blessed so far.

All in all it has been good for us. I think we will stay in for a while. Hubby is looking to go ti flight school. So we might be moving again to Fort Rucker.

My husband has only been in for about 6 years (I did 14), and he was in the same place for 5 of them. Now we are at Fort Drum and I love it. It is near my home and since he is deploying in 3 weeks, perfect for the kids!!

Archived