my latest hook

jimbo

Here is a Madrona hook (K.5) i just finished carving. Madrona grows wild over on the coast and is a pretty hard wood. I'm thinking this shape might work for the steak knife grip style, and the toothbrush grip. I've also held it pencil style and it seems to feel ok that way too (but what do I know). And then it occurred to me, is it possible that that the trigger grippers might prefer something like this as well? Or??

th_madronahook002.jpg

I just *HAVE* to chime in here...

I received a hook that Jimbo carved for me today, and I have got to tell you - it's fabulous!! It's so smooth and pretty to look at - not to mention so so comfortable to hold. If any of you guys get sore hands from crocheting, definitely get in touch with Jimbo - you won't regret it!!

Just look at the beautiful hook I got:

th_100_0926.jpg

That one is just over 13mm... and I :manyheart it...

Here is a Madrona hook (K.5) i just finished carving. Madrona grows wild over on the coast and is a pretty hard wood. I'm thinking this shape might work for the steak knife grip style, and the toothbrush grip. I've also held it pencil style and it seems to feel ok that way too (but what do I know). And then it occurred to me, is it possible that that the trigger grippers might prefer something like this as well? Or??

th_madronahook002.jpg

Madronna trees are so pretty. They remind me of manzanita on steroids! That is awesome.

Do you sell your hooks? I just got my first wood hook recently and am amazed at how much less my hands hurt when I use it.

Very cool hook:hook

Beautiful craftsmanship. What an interesting choice of wood. I didn't understand the different "grip" descriptions, but does that have something to do with the hook being "in line"?

Thanks,

Kristin

Jim is referring to the way you hold you hook while you crochet, generally either "Pencil" or "Knife/Toothbrush" style. On generic hooks, it doesn't matter how you hold it, but, as he carves his hooks to fit your hand, it's helpful for him to know which grip you prefer.

Madronna trees are so pretty. They remind me of manzanita on steroids! That is awesome.

Do you sell your hooks? I just got my first wood hook recently and am amazed at how much less my hands hurt when I use it.

Very cool hook:hook

Thanks Quilty. Yes i sell the hooks i make. If you've an interest you can email me with details of what you'd like.

But i tell you what. That picture you have next to your user name is fabulous!! Please tell me more about it. Do you make THOSE for sale. Truly beautiful work!

WOW! That's amazing! I love it!!!

Thanks Donna. I'm so glad the idea came to me to make hooks. Its something i dearly love to do. And to be able to make them for folks who appreciate them is very gratifying.

Beautiful craftsmanship. What an interesting choice of wood. I didn't understand the different "grip" descriptions, but does that have something to do with the hook being "in line"?

Thanks,

Kristin

Thank you Kristin

I think Natalie explained it very well. The hooks are pretty much "in line" style, but what is different are the grips. I like to get an idea of the customer's grip style before i make them a hook. That way the hook will hopefully fit the user's hand well. I think what would really be great would be to get a picture of the customer's grip.... that would really help me customize the hooks.

I just *HAVE* to chime in here...

I received a hook that Jimbo carved for me today, and I have got to tell you - it's fabulous!! It's so smooth and pretty to look at - not to mention so so comfortable to hold. If any of you guys get sore hands from crocheting, definitely get in touch with Jimbo - you won't regret it!!

Just look at the beautiful hook I got:

th_100_0926.jpg

That one is just over 13mm... and I :manyheart it...

Thanks soo much Natalie. I know now that hook has found a good home. And its such a relief to know it got there ok, and that you like it! I plan to take your advice and make the shanks on the larger hooks a little longer. Can't wait till you try it out!

CrochetHook.jpg

Here is the hook Jim made for me. Ladys it feels so good. As well as beautiful.

:manyheart Cant wait to get it going today on my next project. But had to show you ladies what you are missing. And send Jim very BIG :ty . Great work Jim. :yay

Well, i have to admit i sharpen my knife at least once between hooks, and in some woods more than that. Tried the thin blade "Xacto" (sp?) brand knives and they're sharp but just don't have the feel a good ole razor sharp Buck pocket knife does. I also do a lot of sanding.. a WHOLE lot. But the major pleasure is in the whittling and polishing.

CrochetHook.jpg

Here is the hook Jim made for me. Ladys it feels so good. As well as beautiful.

:manyheart Cant wait to get it going today on my next project. But had to show you ladies what you are missing. And send Jim very BIG :ty . Great work Jim. :yay

Thanks Paula!! Looks just like it did when i sent it! Hope it works well for you. I really liked the texture of the bark on the handle of that one. I'm constantly amazed at how artistic those trees are and how pretty they are when the outer bark is removed. Even the bugs leave interesting little trails (so long as they're evicted by the time the customer gets their hook).

Hope it makes wonderful things for you!

I'm constantly amazed at how artistic those trees are and how pretty they are when the outer bark is removed. Even the bugs leave interesting little trails

Nature is by far one of the best artists ever.

Nature is by far one of the best artists ever.

I'd go further... i think It's THE best. I look at sticks and little logs and am amazed... but that's just a wee tiny part of what, when i really see it, just totally blows me away. Oh, you don't want to get me started....

And you know what's ironic... you're talking to a guy who cuts firewood, hunts, fishes, swills beer, oogles wimmen with the best of'em... and make crochet hooks (my fellow rednecks want to wear sacks over their heads when i'm around). Oh the irony of it all!

I'd go further... i think It's THE best. I look at sticks and little logs and am amazed... but that's just a wee tiny part of what, when i really see it, just totally blows me away. Oh, you don't want to get me started....

And you know what's ironic... you're talking to a guy who cuts firewood, hunts, fishes, swills beer, oogles wimmen with the best of'em... and make crochet hooks (my fellow rednecks want to wear sacks over their heads when i'm around). Oh the irony of it all!

LOL Well I do those things as well except for the beer part, I'm more of a wine person myself. I wouldn't put a sack over my head. I guess the difference being I am a woman who crochets?

Jimbo, do you have a store? Where can I buy some of your beautiful hooks?

Thanks,

Kristin

Hi Kristin.. well since i can't crochet my way our of a wet tote bag, yes i sell hooks. Email me and we'll talk turkey.

Jimbo...it's gorgeous! I received the one you sent me yesterday and it's amazing...I'm sorry I didn't think to snap a picture before I wrapped it up but I am in awe at the craftmanship...and for only $15! :ty Jim, :ty

....I'll hopefully be ordering at least one for myself come the new year....I can't wait for my girlfriend to open it up to see what she thinks of it!! :manyheart

~K

Jimbo...it's gorgeous! I received the one you sent me yesterday and it's amazing...I'm sorry I didn't think to snap a picture before I wrapped it up but I am in awe at the craftmanship...and for only $15! :ty Jim, :ty

....I'll hopefully be ordering at least one for myself come the new year....I can't wait for my girlfriend to open it up to see what she thinks of it!! :manyheart

~K

ah shoot Kelle! I was hoping you'd take it out for a little test spin. Well maybe your friend will let you give it a go, eh?

Hope she likes it!

Merry Christmas!

(oh, and i look forward to receiving your house plan portfolio... i bet you design some beauties!)

Archived