The cat peed on all my yarn

There is stuff you can buy...I think it's called Natures Miracle (serious brain freeze today) at pet stores which does a great job

I second Nature's Miracle!! That stuff is the BEST and you could certainly use it on your yarn and WIPs. You can even buy it by the gallon, so you could really good everything a great dousing.

Sorry that happened to you. :(

I second Nature's Miracle!! That stuff is the BEST and you could certainly use it on your yarn and WIPs. You can even buy it by the gallon, so you could really good everything a great dousing.

Sorry that happened to you. :(

As breeder/owners/handlers of show dogs, we buy it by the gallon, esp when training puppies to go outside...

If you don't have room to put the visiting kitty have you got a cage you could use to keep it in ? Or i would give in and use the bathroom for the time hes there to put the litter trays in it would be easier to keep clean and separate from your Queen kitty. What about your yard do you have a shed or garage you could use? If not do you know if your neighbours or a good friend would take him off your hands for the rest of the time his owner is away? I have a friend who is very into cats at her worst she had 15 and she couldnt keep up with all the cleaning cause of health problems. So myself and 3 friends had to clean the house and pull up the carpet and take it to the dump. Wow the stench !Anyway we helped her find new homes for most of the and i helped her with her cleaning for a while till she was able to cope herself. Her remaining cat of the origional 15 is 17 years old now and still going strong. So good luck finding your solution.

You poor Dear you :hug And I complained about my chihuahua Poco marking on my Gingerbread boy because I made him wear an elf suit for a pic ;) Maybe you just need to keep all your yarn and books in some of those huge ziploc bags they have.

If you don't have room to put the visiting kitty have you got a cage you could use to keep it in ? Or i would give in and use the bathroom for the time hes there to put the litter trays in it would be easier to keep clean and separate from your Queen kitty. What about your yard do you have a shed or garage you could use? If not do you know if your neighbours or a good friend would take him off your hands for the rest of the time his owner is away? I have a friend who is very into cats at her worst she had 15 and she couldnt keep up with all the cleaning cause of health problems. So myself and 3 friends had to clean the house and pull up the carpet and take it to the dump. Wow the stench !Anyway we helped her find new homes for most of the and i helped her with her cleaning for a while till she was able to cope herself. Her remaining cat of the origional 15 is 17 years old now and still going strong. So good luck finding your solution.

That's the problem, I was the only one who could take it! We live in military housing and most of the families left and went back home when their spouses deployed! So I am the only one left who could take it for the 2 months! It was the last gift her hubby gave her before he deployed and her only other option was the pound and I am too big a softie. I have locked up the new kitty and it hasn't made a difference. I just caught her peeing again. She has been cleared by the vet, too!

Get to your local pet store and buy a bottle of FeliAway Spray. Spray this on your yarn basket, box, and it will repel your kitty. It is made of Feline Face Pheremones, and it removes the kitty's urge to pee on inappropriate things.

I did this when my older cat started tinkling in corners after the kitten's arrival, it works like a charm but is liquid gold $30.00 bucks for a small bottle....

Good luck!

From the home of four furry monsters....

Robin in MI

Oh that's the pitts....that's why I fear cats! When my BIL moved in with my sister before they were married her cat peed on all his stuff - needless to say - the cat still ruled the roost until he warmed up to my BIL. Sorry to hear about this!!!

Sam's has a product called OdeBan. I have used it for years when my Mom was in a nursing home. It really removes the oder and does not leave a bad feeling or smell behind.

• 9 months later...

Just read this thread after searching for yarn organizer. That is just so funny about the cat pee. Luckily, mine have never done that on yarn. I did have an elderly cat pee and *ahem* other things all over the laundry in the laundry room. Luckily, not a very long trip to the washing machine, as it was right there. I feel for anyone that has put their hands into "wet" yarn!! Almost as bad as having to constantly scoop and toss partially digested critters (the cats hunt).

Kiki, I know how upset you must be (I know I would be!) but try not to blame the kitty too much. . . they really don't do this out of "spite", they do it when they feel threatened or stressed, and very often it's the arrival of a new cat like your visitor that's the cause.

They go on your stuff, your bed etc. because it smells of you and makes them feel secure when they mingle their scent with yours. . . I know that at the moment you feel like strangling her, but if you possibly can, try to give her extra attention and reassurance, maybe even an old sweater or something of yours with your scent on that she can cuddle up with. Don't pet and fuss with the new kitten in her presence :) and as others have said, keep them apart as much as you possibly can. She really isn't being bad or spiteful, though I know it must feel like it when you think your hours of work have been ruined. :hug I do hope the remedies people have suggested work to save your blankets.

From what I saw, this happened almost a year ago and I am so sorry that it happened.

Well anyway, we had a cat that would pee everywhere.

She had peed on my daughters brand new sleeping bag and I was desperate to save it, so I looked around and read that Borax takes out pet odors.

So I decided to try it and it worked! She would even pee on the laundry and it worked on the clothes too, so I use it all of the time now.

(We no longer have her, she accidentally got outside when one of the kids opened the front door and didn't pay any attention, it's been a month and she hasn't returned)

I also hope you were able to salvage your works from the experience.

I cat sat once a few yrs back for a friend of mine. She had 2 fixed female cats, I had 1 fixed female cat. THAT was an experience. Her cats were Nerys and Cally, mine was Shaman. Nerys was VERY neurotic, Cally quite laid back and my shaman was...ummm.... territorial and bossy, not to mention for a cat she was a female dog ;) . Poor Nerys ended up pretty much LIVING on top of my refrigerator. If she got down to go potty, you'd start hearing the "Jaws" the movie sound track.

Shaman would start stalking her and would chase her back up to the top of the refrigerator. It was both sad and funny at the same time (yea, I am warped).

After they went back home, Shaman was still quite possessive of me. If I was around other cats, and came home w/ the smell, she'd get "ticked". Her health was good, but at those times if she could get to my clothes she would pee on them. She is also the only female cat that I have ever owned who marked like a male (raised her tail and focused it on me).

I miss her and her shenanigans (she passed june 19th of 2005 :( ) Got to love 'em though, they DO have personalities...lol

Sandy

Wow, I'm glad there are some good suggestions, and boy, will I be keeping them in mind! I have one skein that someone spilled pop on, so will be trying the nylon thing.

<<I think she is just being spiteful and I am ready to kill her!

I had a male cat several years ago who got into my box of pattern magazines and used them as a litterbox, even though his was clean, and available. We were on a week vacation at that time, and my brother was checking in on the animals daily. I think Scooter was just, as you said, being spiteful!

Unfortunately, the top few mags were unsalvageable, but the rest were fine.

Sally

oh boy i know this feeling my husband has a dog that loves my yarn. I work at night and he just waits until i leave for work and away he goes. Once i came home ahd he had gotten into a bag of new yarn and it was all over the living room. and of course you know i had to sit and untangle every bit of it. i couldnt throw an new skein of yarn away. and yes he also went in my work bag where i keep all my hooks and boy was i glad to find Natures Miracle.

By the way the dog is on probation one more time i find him in the yarn andhe is gone!!!!

I had a cat who was the best cat ever..... until I got another cat. Then they had what I called a 'Pee for All'. It was not funny, though. She would pee (because she didn't like the other cat in her territory); then the other cat (a stupid male, the stupidest cat I ever owned...) would pee on top of her pee!! :angry I tried getting them separate litter boxes, giving them both extra attention, taking them to the vets... nothing worked. We had to give them both away and ripped up the carpet and the floorboards underneath were saturated with pee. We had to cut out the floorboards and redo them, too. (Fortunately my husband is a carpenter...) Ugh.... We don't live there anymore, but I remember it like it was yesterday...

Oh, I remember she would go into my closet and peed on a couple pairs of my shoes, too. :thair I had to throw them both away. I had to keep my closet door closed and my yarn up.

Tina

I think I love you all! I thought it was beyond saving! But my project for tomorrow will be to try all this! Thank you all so much!

I have 3 cats, 2 mine, 1 a cat sit. The male is neutered and I don't think it is him. The cat sit is a kitten, but seems to be trained and I think she is fixed, too. The one I think it is is female and fixed, but she has been acting up since the new one came over, just a few days ago. I caught her pooping twice and she peed once yesterday, too. I think she is just being spiteful and I am ready to kill her!

I didn't realise when I posted my earlier reply that this thread is really from last year -- oops! But I keep reading people saying: "I think he/she was being spiteful".

Please, everyone, when a pet who previously was clean and doesn't have any medical problems starts peeing in inappropriate places, it is not "spite". It's because they're stressed, anxious and insecure. This is why they often seek out your clothes, shoes, bedding or even your stash :eek -- because it smells of you and mingling their smell with yours makes them feel more secure.

It's often caused by the introduction of another pet, you going on vacation etc. For an indoor cat, it could even be as simple as the pet spotting another cat or animal roaming your yard. Being angry and scolding them or treating them as naughty or spiteful is only going to make things worse. By all means protect the area with repellent sprays, etc. but the only real solution is to lower the stress and make the pet feel secure again.

Smiles,

• 13 years later...

I know this post is a few years old and already has lots of suggestions, but just in case anyone still needs another solution, I felt compelled to post. I used to rescue cats and ended up with quite a few sprayers. Out of desperation, I accidentally found something that worked called "Stop Cat Spraying".

Everyone I have recommended this to since I discovered this trick has been amazed at how well it works. You should definitely check it out, we don't even buy Odorban and the likes any longer :)

Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and for a decent price as well.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.
My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Stop Cat Spraying" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

To be honest, I don't know too much more about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a description of it with a long review as well.

No I have not been paid for this post nor do I make any commissions off of it. I really just want to help you guys out. I hope you don't mind.

I'm based in Sweden, by the way, so you should be able to get it too.

Good luck with the odor! It really lowers your quality of life, doesn't it?