The cat peed on all my yarn

and I am considering throttling it! I am not sure which of the evil critters it was, but I am pretty sure I know the culprit. It got about 8+ skeins, se:eek veral partial ones,... and the kicker, it ruined the baby blanket I was making and a large queen size throw I was making. I am heartsick at the hours lost and I just had myself a good crying jag. And it peed on my crochet bible, the 63 squares book. WAAAA!!!

How frustrating! All is not lost though =) Wash the blankets with a good dose of vinegar and that should take care of the smell, and hopefully they won't be stained!

Then I have to say this, if you think you know which kitty did it, take him to the vet for a checkup asap to rule out a UTI. If this kitty doesn't usually pee outside the box, it's a good indication of illness. Sometimes kitties pee out of spite, but more often it's done when they have something wrong and you might not notice it otherwise so always pay attention when a kitty goes outside the box. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, really, but I learned the hard way about this one! I've had two kitties with this problem, one we caught very early but the other nearly died and I am *still* paying the vet bills nearly 8 months later!

Sending good thoughts to you, your kitty and your yarn!

Oh gosh! And there I was complaining about my dog messing with only one skein of yarn. Is your cat a male? Is he neutered?

There is stuff you can buy...I think it's called Natures Miracle (serious brain freeze today) at pet stores which does a great job removing pet odors.

I agree, if this isn't a male marking, the cat needs to see a vet.

Vinegar will work to remove the smell, so will any of several products you can get at the pet store (and some of them remove stains too) ... and I definitely agree, get kitty to a vet. If the box is clean and this isn't a kitten who's not quite littertrained yet ... have him or her checked out.

Oh I feel your pain!

My cat peed on a huge bag of just purchased yarn (big clearance sale...I went nuts...) which I found out when I stuck my hand in the bag to pull out a skein :yuck

I was able to salvage it. Take the wrappers off the skeins and stick each skein in the leg of a pantyhose (tie a knot between each skein). That will keep them from unraveling in the wash. Soak them in the washing machine adding a good dose of Nature's Miracle, then let the machine finish the cycle. I washed them a 2nd time using oxyclean in the wash as good measure. I did run them through the dryer (still in their stocking sausage casings...) but be sure they are 100% dry in the middle before packing them away. I had my mom give them a sniff test to be safe, she has a bionic nose :lol

Good luck!

I agree that Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution are great.

I luckily have not had a pee incident, but last night, my problem-child cat got into my yarn and chewed some Wool-Ease. Grrrrr. He always kneads my work in progress if I leave it out. I am planning to get something like covered baskets, plastic tubs or a rolling organizer to put my yarn in to prevent access.

Good luck with rescuing your work.

I think I love you all! I thought it was beyond saving! But my project for tomorrow will be to try all this! Thank you all so much!

I have 3 cats, 2 mine, 1 a cat sit. The male is neutered and I don't think it is him. The cat sit is a kitten, but seems to be trained and I think she is fixed, too. The one I think it is is female and fixed, but she has been acting up since the new one came over, just a few days ago. I caught her pooping twice and she peed once yesterday, too. I think she is just being spiteful and I am ready to kill her!

The one I think it is is female and fixed, but she has been acting up since the new one came over, just a few days ago. I caught her pooping twice and she peed once yesterday, too. I think she is just being spiteful and I am ready to kill her!

Isn't it wonderful how such cute, fuzzy creatures are able to trigger homicidal impulses in you? :devil

I'd say take her to the vet anyway, just to be safe. If it is behavioral the vet should have some good advice for you. Something a little less drastic than sudden death, at any rate. :blush

I feel for you, though. My 2 indoor cats started marking when my little female was living out on the porch. They only peed on my new library chairs and I finally had to put them up on their sides so the rotten things wouldn't #!$$ all over them on a daily basis. Cats. Fun creatures, huh? :huh

The one I think it is is female and fixed, but she has been acting up since the new one came over, just a few days ago. I caught her pooping twice and she peed once yesterday, too.
As long as she's deemed healthy by the vet, something you might want to think about is an extra litterbox. She may be going outside the box because she doesn't want to share with the "interloper".

:hug I hope the yarn and the blanket you were working on are salvageable!

Edited to add: I've been reading a really great book called Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss that has a lot of advice on understanding why cats drive us so nuts sometimes and how to work with cat problems. It's been pretty helpful so far. Here's an Amazon link if you want to read about it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140288546/qid=1134150198/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-7908138-5290224?s=books&v=glance&n=283155 I got my copy out of the library, though--shouldn't be too hard to find...

I am going to find that book! She has never been like this before! We have a vet appointment for Monday so hopefully something will be resolved. We have 3 seperate litter boxes so that isn't the problem. I think she is just a spoiled little queen bee!!!

Extra litterboxes are a must with that many cats and a visitor to boot! Your kitty is pissed, therefore she pisses on your treasures. Putting out a box just for her may be a solution, and all the cleaning suggestions are the same as I used in the same situation. Currently I have 3 cats, 3 halfgrown kittens and 4 little kittens just underfoot!

Best of luck

I am going to find that book! She has never been like this before! We have a vet appointment for Monday so hopefully something will be resolved. We have 3 seperate litter boxes so that isn't the problem. I think she is just a spoiled little queen bee!!!

:lol I had a male cat who would pee on my suitcases whenever I traveled.

I had to pack and put my suitcases out in the hall.

Another male I had actually pooped on my pillow ehile I was sleeping! Long story short: he didn't like where I put his litterbox.

Love those kitties!

She has her very own box and I have been watching like a hawk and none of them are using it! I think Miss Kitty Pants is just having attitude!! She was fine until our visitor, who I can't get rid of for 2 months!!! AARRGGHH!!

I use to have a cat that peed on things when she was upset with me . And my kids would leave towels in the bathroom floor and they would get it. I would run them through the washer first with nothing but water . Then was with vineger and laundry detergent and they would be fine . The smell would be gone. I tried doing the washing and all that first and it would not get the smell out . Do a pre wash with no soap just the water. Good luck

I'm so glad I read this! We have...are ya ready for this...5 cats and 4 kittens. Needless to say, cat urine is a problem here! The kittens are only 6 weeks old! hmmm...maybe I'll have to mop my floor with vinegar, wash out my shower with it, wash all the towels, etc. I've been throwing everything out!!! :eek Does it work on dog urine? My mom's min pin pees on her bed all the time and she can't seem to get rid of the smell.

She might not like that 'visitor'. My cat went in her box fine until I got another cat. Then, what I call the 'Pee for All' began. Mert (Mercedes) would pee on the floor in my room (right by all my crochet books on the shelf). Then, Oreo would pee over there cuz he was a dumb-dumb. (And because she was peeing there.) Then, she would pee on top of his pee. We had to tear up the carpet it was so bad, nothing would get the smell out. Even the floor boards underneath had to be cut out and replaced, it soaked into the floorboard. It was all because she didn't want to share her territory with another cat. I agree with the person who said to keep the visiting kitty in another room. Do you have a basement with a door or something? Good luck!

She has her very own box and I have been watching like a hawk and none of them are using it! I think Miss Kitty Pants is just having attitude!! She was fine until our visitor, who I can't get rid of for 2 months!!! AARRGGHH!!

She might not like that 'visitor'. My cat went in her box fine until I got another cat. Then, what I call the 'Pee for All' began. Mert (Mercedes) would pee on the floor in my room (right by all my crochet books on the shelf). Then, Oreo would pee over there cuz he was a dumb-dumb. (And because she was peeing there.) Then, she would pee on top of his pee. We had to tear up the carpet it was so bad, nothing would get the smell out. Even the floor boards underneath had to be cut out and replaced, it soaked into the floorboard. It was all because she didn't want to share her territory with another cat. I agree with the person who said to keep the visiting kitty in another room. Do you have a basement with a door or something? Good luck!

Unfortunately for me, we don't really have a place to lock her away! We live in military housing,... older SMALL stuff and the only room really is the laundry room. But if I keep her there, I don't have any place else for the litter boxes of the other 2!! I REALLY don't want those boxes in the bathroom or the kitchen!

I think I love you all! I thought it was beyond saving! But my project for tomorrow will be to try all this! Thank you all so much!

I have 3 cats, 2 mine, 1 a cat sit. The male is neutered and I don't think it is him. The cat sit is a kitten, but seems to be trained and I think she is fixed, too. The one I think it is is female and fixed, but she has been acting up since the new one came over, just a few days ago. I caught her pooping twice and she peed once yesterday, too. I think she is just being spiteful and I am ready to kill her!

We have a cat who is 4 who only does this to the clothes left on the floor in the laundry room, she doesn't do it anymore because we thought it was the dog marking it until we caught her at it, now she doesn't do it as she will get sprayed with some stuff that she hates! But older cats can do it if they are angry about something...as for yarn, I have to have them sealed when out and about or at night or it is the maze from hell trying to unravel it all from everywhere....