Guest lillian1969

Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

my grandmother used to knit and crochet when i was little and up until she passed away 4 years ago she taught me when i was little how to knit then i forgot all she showed me then when i worked at michaels a friend of mine crocheted and i used to sit and watch her she said she would teach me and away i went from there 12 years later.

I remember my grandmother taking some thread and magically creating a doll hat for me as I watched.....I couldn't have been more than 3 years old. She made hats and doilies at home while working as a milliner and teaching millinery at a trade school. As soon as I could hold the crochet hook, I tried to emulate her, but even now I don't think I'll ever have the patience or control that she had.

My co-worker would always bring her projects to work and I was fascinated with the finished projects. I asked her to teach me :)

My sweet grandma!! She helped my dad raise me and she taught me to crochet when I was 5 or 6. I wanted Barbie clothes and she told me I could make them myself and I was HOOKED! I spent most of my childhood sitting on the arm of her chair crocheting with her - the best memories ever!

For starting crochet and starting to knit I have found that both of my Gramma's inspired me. Gram she saw my fascination at a young age and taught me what I could handle but as a child my interest faded. When she was on her deathbed I saw that no one in the family crochets. I picked it up again in memory of her. Several months ago I found myself yearning to learn to knit so I taught myself some basics and then I found out that my Gramma knows how to knit so I will be carrying on her tradition as well. To me the spirit of the past lives on to future generations through my fingers and my hooks and needles. I can only hope that I can live up to such expectations. My Gram always used to tell us that once you learn something, you can never lose it. She was right and now I want to educate others in my family. I still want to learn how to embroider and quilt but those take time and space eventually I will but for now I raise my hook in salute to Gram who was patient and kind and giving. I also raise my needles to Gramma who though she wasn't in my life as much as Gram she still uses her needles (and hooks too) to show love and care to those around her. My inspiration: Gram Rake and Gramma Spencer I love you both

My great Grandma Nanny showed me how to crochet when I was a little girl. She and I would sit and crochet every afternoon together, and just talk about fun stuff. We would drink tea too. I'm smiling now just thinking about her and afternoon together. When she couldn't crochet any more she gave me all of her hooks. I still have them today and use them.

Thank Nanny for the great skill you gave me!!

my grandma was a nurse and a friend of hers came over one day and she taught me how to make a pair of blue mittens...i was 8 years old......

My grandmother when we lived for a short time with her before my mother and stepfather married. I was 4 years old, and because of Granny, I could crochet, knit a sweater, and embroider all the linens you needed before I started school. My Mammy (my other grandmother once Mother and Daddy married) followed in Grannie's footsteps by taking me with her every Sunday artermoon to her friend Millie's house where ladies met and knitted and crocheted all afternoon. I am so grateful to both of these beautiful ladies for what they taught me........and wish they were here now to see some of the works I create because of them!!

Count me in the "Grandma taught me to crochet" club. :hook

I was 8 years old, we (my mom, sister, and I) were living with her and "Grandpa" (I found out years later he wasn't my grandpa, but I didn't know it then and thought of him that way) in West Virginia. I hadn't seen her all that much before that - a few times, but not a lot. She did what I do now - crochet in the evenings, after all her chores were done, sitting on the couch with the TV on. Me, being the inquisitive (read: nosey) type, bugged her incessantly until she not only told me what she was doing but gave me a hook and a ball of yarn and taught me how.

I've done it ever since.

There have been times when I'll put my hooks away and not touch them for years, but they're always there waiting for me when the urge hits.

And it ALWAYS does. :hook

My daughter when she was in my tummy!!! Made her a coming home outfit.

I was orignally inspried by my aunt... But I put away my hook for awhile. When we came to Russia and I could not understand TV, I went out and bought a hook and some yarn and have been content ever since!

I learned to knit in Brownies (Girl Guides), it was a task for the leader as I'm left handed. My best friend taught me to crochet years ago and I picked it back up about 6 years ago.

My Aunt taught me to crochet. It all started when she got me involved in picking out colors for an afghan she was making me, and I guess I just showed an interest in it. That was about 20 years ago.

my mom inspired me indirectly, she was (and still is i guess) a very crafty person. When i was very young she used to cross-stitch, and then after that she used to paint wooden figures. my dad would cut out little people with his scroll saw (or whatever it's called lol) and then my mom would paint them...so i wanted to be crafty like my mom, but i didn't want to do exactly what she was doing i wanted my "own thing" so i started crocheting. my mom new the basics so she taught me that and then i taught myself from there.

No one inspired me. I learned it as an extra-curricular activity after school way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back then...:manyheart

A very beautiful woman named Roberta, who is not only one of my very fav. friends but is the mother of two amazing boys.

She not only taught me to crochet, but she tought me how to refelct all my energy and emotions into it as well.

She taught me at a really tough time and it was the best therapy I ever got.

My gram taught me when I was little, probalby about 7 or 8, because it was before we moved to PA. I played with it for a little while and then wandered off.

In college my roomate made me a wonderfull little pouch to cary stuff in. I remembered that I used to be able to do that, but couldn't remember any more.

Then several years latter I was going throug a low point in my life and I decided to pick it up again, and re-taught myself from books.

I guess you could say Gram taught me, Drea inspired me and I needed something to pull me out of some dark times to get me going again.

My Dad's cousin started teaching me crochet when I was 8... (My mom wanted me to learn how)... I got the (very)basics from her... Then a European lady in our park district taught me some... Ironically, I learned dc from her. (never did sc until much later)When we went overseas, my cousins who didn't speak English taught me more than both of them put together... in both knitting and crochet.

What was really cool for me is that neither cousin did anything the same... One used a long tail cast on method for knitting, one had traditional c/o. And for crochet, one cousin went through both loops of the beg chain, one went through one loop... SO I left with an all around basic knowledge of the different techniques used in both art forms. You should see the Aran sweater they made my for their brother... (the ingrate didn't want to keep it, so we ended up with it!!! )

My sister (right above me, orangetulipgarden, LOL) is currently getting me started! :)

My Grammy got me started when I was around 8 or 9. When I was 33 I inherited all of her leftover yarn, crochet hooks, etc.

I was surrounded by it with my Oma and then last year a dear friend of mine taught me a little bit on the basics and I got online and started teaching myself and bought myself some books to teach myself more indepth. I have Catresa to thank for where I am today with crochet.

My sister Niqita (Brenda) 100%