Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

Guest lillian1969

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mom inspired me to begin to crochet when I was a teen! :bounce She made me practice on my finger and a pencil before she gave me my first hook! It was worth the wait, though, and I haven't stopped crocheting ever since (except when I hurt my arm and could crochet for almost nine months)!

my grandmother. she used to crochet any moment she had and she would make afghans so quickly. once she made me a vest and i wore it even with my pj's. i saw her a couple months ago and she gave me all her crochet patterns. she doesn't do it anymore because her eyesight has gone bad and she's lost the desire. i'll definitely make something from all the patterns she gave to me.

My big sister (Breger3) inspired me to start crocheting. Basically, as I'd always done as we were growing up, she told me to learn, so I did. I'd been knitting for years, and once she learned how to crochet, she decided that I had to start too. And so she and my friend LavenderBear taught me how to crochet a couple of years ago, and I've been crocheting ever since!

• 1 month later...

I was an only child with alot of time on my hands...my aunt taught me to knit & crochet when I was 6 or 7 (well over half a century ago...I am older than dirt!!!)...love all kinds of needlework thank to her!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was influenced by my bestfriend's co-worker who is really good at crocheting. When I saw her beautiful creations it made me want to try my hand at crocheting. So I went and looked for online tutorials and learned to crochet by myself. :hook

My freshman year of HS I worked as a receptionist at a Real Estate Agency (FC Tucker) and one of the ladies that worked part time with me was ALWAYS crocheting...and the CUTEST things too! So on a slow night I asked her to teach me how, not only did she teach me at work, but invited me to her house for pizza and crocheting. Ever since then I've loved it!

My Aunt inspired me to crochet. She actually started teaching me when I was 5. She used to babysit me and to keep me busy she gave me a hook and scrap yarn and taught me the basics. Soon we were doing Granny Squares. She made a small Afghan of my terrible loose, tight, wonky squares and kept it draped over her rocker till the day she died. When I went to get it it was gone. I'm still trying to find out which family member nicked it.

The thing I remember most about my Aunt though was that she was never without a crochet hook in her hand. Even when she was cooking in the kitchen she walked around with a hook in her hand so she could work a few stitches inbetween all the stirring and chopping.

I don't think it was any one person.... I've always been involved in some sort of craft or another since I was about 14... It was just a natural progression to learn to crochet, and I got hooked. No pun intended. lol

hi, Im new to the forum.....I taught myself to crochet about 5 months ago, I have always wanted to learn......My Mum died about 16 years ago so I decieded to ask one of the more senior ladies I know to show me how, she brought me a few small balls of wool and a hook, and showed me how! and there is no stopping me now! :)

Um, I was cold?:think

I was bored.

I needed something to do with my hands while my toddlers played...

I taught myself when the kids were little... but, I have "inspired" my daughter to crochet... I think... she crochets so I guess inspired her... maybe I need to ask her!:devil

I wanted to make a custom blanket for my pregnant friend, and I found crochetkim's free pattern. Little did I know back then that maybe I should have chosen something easier, without color changes and such. But I was ignorant, and I got it done after many months. :lol

The beauty of crochet was what inspired me to keep crocheting after the first blanket. And these days, it's the beautiful projects and loving people that I see at Crochetville that continue to inspire me. :manyheart

• 2 months later...

Both of my grandmothers crocheted and done other various crafts. Nosey as I am I would sit and watch until someone told me to come learn. They would often be irritated by my UFO's....I still keep a stock of UFO's....Grandma is probably fussin' at me from heaven.

When I was a little girl, we would go visit my grandmother on my Dad's side of the family. I would love looking at all the beautiful doilies, expecially the ones with pictures that were pinned to the back's of the chairs and the sofa. I had always thought my grandma made these.

Later when I grew up I learned that no, grandma didn't make them, it was Great Aunt Gertie. Everyone tells me that I get my talent from her, even though I taught myself to crochet. I never forgot those beautiful doilies and wished that I could make pretty things like that.

I didn't have anyone to show me, but over the years as I was growing up I would experiment and play around with the yarn and hook. It was always a tangled mess, but I kept picturing in my mind's eye what those doilies looked like. When I turned into my late twenties - early thirties, I decided to go to the store and buy what I needed, including a couple of books and some crochet magazines. But the one who influenced me and she didn't even know it, was my Great Aunt Gertie. She lived there with my grandmother all her life. She took her thread where ever she went and always sat quietly in a corner makeing no noise, just crocheting. kkkk

My grandmother inspired me, even though she wasn't able to teach me. She made those beautiful white doilies just by looking at a picture. I'm left-handed, though, so we only had one short lesson before she gave up. When I was about 12, I think, I bought a learn to book, an H hook, and a skein of yarn and taught myself. It's been an on again-off again love affair ever since.

i'm weird... i don't think i have an inspiration!

i just remember finding my mom's crochet hooks and asking her what they were and she decided to teach me how to use them. i had always wanted to learn knitting though, and i got that inspiration from a woman i saw knitting at the doctor's office and my mom got me a kit but i hate reading instructions (even when i was little!) so it never took until my mom sat me down and taught me.

you could say my mom inspired me to crochet, but when i think of it, really no one did. it was something she taught me to do so i could have a hobby and it's something i've just always done and will always do.

My mom and my great grandmother. My great grandmother did needle work and was always decorating hand towels and even the chairs on her dining room table have needwork on them (I have that dining room set now and just love it).

My mom taught me to crochet as a young girl and I wish she was here now to help me teach my children.

My mom *inspired* me how to crochet when I was nine, probably to keep me busy (and out of her hair :rock ) during wintertime in Massachusetts. She gave me a skein of hideous, scratchy, orange yarn to practice chains, sc's, and dc's, and wouldn't let me buy nice yarn until I finished with the entire skein. It was great incentive to learn quickly and in the end, I think I whipped through the skein in record time. Barbie and her friends had a lot of very ugly orange scarves, skirts, blankets, and rugs. And then they had a lot of very pretty purple scarves, skirts, blankets, and rugs. Eventually, I started making stuff for other dolls and even my sisters' dolls, and after a few years I learned to read patterns and greatly broadened my crochet horizons! :hook

Now I make myself purses and hats and scarves and fingerless gloves to match every coat I own (which is 3, so it's not TOO much stuff!), and I do projects for other people on demand. Unfortunately, the zeal that inspired me to zoom through that first skein has somewhat waned, and I have at least 7-10 partly-to-mostly finished items that haunt me everytime I want to start something new.

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend's mom when I was about 6 was a crocheter. I would just sit and watch her. She taught me to do a basic chain stitch. From there I would make these huge chains and then double and triple them back on each other and sew them together to make belts and such. My dad got tired of me leaving these chains all over the house so he taught me to turn and single crochet and to crochet circles. So when I think of who inspired me the most, it would be my dad.:manyheart

My Grandmother. She taught me the basics, and gave me a set of Boye needles,,,which I still use! I taught myself the more complex stitches,,,and how to read the symbol graphs.

Archived