Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

Guest lillian1969

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom taught me to crochet using crochet thread when I was about 8..She crocheted by looking at something. I later learned to read instructions and taught her how to read patterns. I had an aunt, Mom's side, who use to crohcet a lot and I was always interested in what she was working on. My Grandmother on my Mom's side crocheted well into her 80s. And I taught both of my daughters to crochet. It is just in the family.

:manyheart:hook:manyheart

My Aunt Dorothy was my inspiration. I loved watching her crochet & really loved the blankets she would make. She taught me how to make a granny square when I was 8 (I still have the original G hook) & I've been crocheting ever since. She's also the reason I met my wonderful husband (she bought me my 1st computer-DH & I met online in a Yahoo chat room:manyheart) and has been an incredible influence on my life. When DH & I moved in together I went from being single with no kids to being an instant mom to DH's 2 kids. Both my Mom & Aunt Dorothy were my parenting role models. Aunt D taught me how important it was to be a kid, too .... to play a game even though you're exhausted, to laugh at farts even though they're not polite, to make macaroni necklaces using your expensive macaroni, to crochet long chains & braid them together to make belts that clash with everything.....in a nutshell, she taught me how to enjoy these amazing little people that have taken my heart. Everyone should have an Aunt Dorothy. :hug

(PS She's still crocheting her heart out. She entered Michael's fastest knitter & crocheter this past weekend-and won them both. After winning, they offered her a job-teaching crochet:hook)

:dragonfly My mom taught me when I was 7. I made chains for weeks! When I was eighteen she taught me thread crochet, I have been hooked ever since. We crochet together every friday night. We keep each other motivated to finishing our projects. Her mom taught her, and so on and so on. I tried to teach one of my neices last year, but she lost interest. I hope that someday she will want to try again. I don't have any daughters and my son loves what I do, but doesn't want to learn, LOL :dragonfly

my grandmother started me on crochet when I was little, she said it ws to help me calm my bad temper LOL to this day when I feel stressed out or when I am happy or whatever feeling or mood I am in I simply crochet

Lynda:c9

You all have such wonderful stories, here is mine:

October '04 started a very cold winter and around Halloween we already had snow on the ground, my son was walking around with nothing on his neck.....

A friend from New Jersey came up to visit and she brought her WIP, I was instantly intrigued.

She tried to teach me but I could not quite get it and after she left I frogged my little bit of work to restart the scarf.

To my surprise I had forgotten how to do the slip knot to start the chain

:eek I was horrified.

My son and a couple of friends came over as I was bugging out with frustration :think

One of the girls said, "I have a learn crochet stitches cd"

She brought it over and that is how I learned.....

Now with the internet and all the help I get from you lovely people here at C'Ville the rest is history. :clap

I have since bought the "Crochet Made Easy" cd as well as the "Knitting Made Easy" cd.... although I have not opened that one yet....Crochet is keeping my quite busy.

Cindy :hook

• 5 months later...

I have to say, not "who" but "what", and the answer is the Internet. I learned to crochet decades ago, when I was 10 years old, but never made anything much because of the paucity of patterns. It was only when I got into surfing about 4 years ago (when we got free internet access at work) that I began crocheting like a fanatic . The strange thing is that I never follow patterns to the letter, I just need ideas as a starting point.

Teenage rebellion, actually...My mother attempted to teach me to knit, with disastrous results <g>. She wasn't into crocheting at all, in fact, she considered it to be an inferior craft--something my aunt's housekeeper did. So, of course, I took to it like a duck to water <LOL>. The ironic part is that I now knit, too, although I am way better at crocheting.

Honestly? I just couldn't get the hang of Knitting and my neighbors niece, who was my age, came to visit her one summer...this girl patiently taught me how to do a chain stitch and scs...then I was off and running on my own...!

My now deceased grandmother. Who was my Mom's mother. She taught me the love of crochet and how to crochet. My Mom knew too.

Also , how to sew and quilt. and hand emboridery when I was like 8.

My grandmother has been dead around 6 years. I still miss her so much. PINKROSES

When I was about 12 I went to a church group and we had to learn to crochet for one of our badges.....everyone else learned real fast but since I was a lefty I couldn't get the hang of it.....I was finally able to teach myself and finished a very long scarf for my best friend....I didnt crochet for a few yrs after that... I took it up again when I was 18 and pregnant with my first kid have been crocheting non stop ever since

My great aunt Vance was my inspiration. Watching her ever since I could remember, I wanted to do that, and finally at the age of 7 she set me down with my very first crochet hook. She still tells me how natural I came to this, as if i was born with hook in hand. She also taught me to knit, sew, needlepoint, and embroidery. My aunt is 88 yrs old now and in bad health. She is no longer able to do the crafts she loved for so many years. However every time I speak to her she has to hear what I've been making, or if I have met anymore crochet friends online and are they doing anything interesting. My 21 yr old daughter is taking up crocheting now, and is finishing an afghan that aunt Vance started.

My grandma used to crochet and so did my mum but neither of them taught me. I loved doing all kinds of crafts from being a little kid and when i was in junior school (age 6-11) one of the dinner ladies held a lunch club in the winter when it was too cold to play outside. She taught me how to make a cartwheel? just a round doily. And I didnt really do much else for a while as i took up bobbin lace and did that for a couple of years after school. And then i went to high school and found painting and clay, and then i went to college and found jewellery, and now im back to crochet because my aunt broke her collarbone and cant knit anymore so she gave me all her old yarn. This was about 6 months ago :)

I had done a handful of small projects here and there over the last several years. (simple afghans, hooded baby blankets, etc) But never really delved into trying different stitches, yarns, projects, etc. Then, in recent months my sister (who is a master at crochet) had done some awesome projects that inspired me, and also Frann/citygirl. Her and I post on another (unrelated) forum and after reading about/seeing all her great endeavors, I was inspired to explore the art deeper. I'm so excited to be making the fun things I've been working on. I'd really like to try and tackle freeform but scared to!

Nobody, really. I got a book and taught myself almost 25 years ago. One thing I've always been good at....learning. :hook I'm STILL learning, and I love it! :D:yes

I started crocheting because my mother encouraged me to. So I took a class, and after that I was on my own figuring it out. :D

When I was with my aunt a couple years later though, I started getting more creative and trying different stuff and liking it more. :D

Id have to say My grandmother (dads mom )because she tought me how to crochet when i was about 10 she started me on afghans I made my very first finished afghan 2 years ago and gave it to her for christmas she was so proud of me ! I am making her another one this christmas in hand dyed wool! Just your basic granny square but I'm sure she will love it! :) My great grandmother on my moms side also crochet I never met her but its obvious where my crocheting skills come into play :) I also have 2 aunts and 2 13 year old cousins who crochet :) its a family thing i guess you could say!

My FATHER IN LAW inspired me to start crocheting! He started crocheting like 15 years ago when he was haveing eye problems and could only see things right up next to his face. It gave him something to do. Then his eyes got fixed but he just kept on. He made 13" dolls and sold them at flea markets, he made me a gorgeous thread tablecloth, he can do anything!!!! And here I was knitting, and I was growing to hate it, it worked up sooooooo slow and having to hold all your stitches on your needles. What a pain! I loved how in crochet you are just working in each stitch. It is so freeing and fun and works up so quick. I am SO happy and I will never go back to knitting again.

this is kinda funny, my grandmother taught me how to crochet, b/c her mother (who i am named after) made her promise to teach me..... my great grandmother was HUGE on crocheting, my grandmother is mainly a knitter, but she kept her promise to her mother and when i was 11 taught me how to crochet..... now her only sadness is that I find knitting frustrating and haven't been able to master it... she says it's ok, that i'm alot like great grandma anyway, so it's only fitting that I'm happiest with a hook in my hand

Actually, my mom. (Hurray for all smart moms who know how to get their kids out of their way by teaching them nifty stuff!) I was 6 years old and had the mumps and was driving her crazy and not staying in bed long enough, so, neck swollen and all, she bought me oodles of wonderfully colorful yarn, a hook and taught me. . .and that was it for me!

Any moms with hyper and inquisitive kids, take a HINT, it really works!

Take care! :)

Cloty

Archived