Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

Guest lillian1969

My mom was my inspiration to start crocheting. I always saw her make all this cute stuff and I wanted to make stuff, too! :D It's been really good for our relationship, too. Now, instead of locking myself in my room I actually spend time w/ her crocheting. Well...not as much lately but...yea... :P

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My aunt crochets and taught me to chain when I was younger. But I never had the interest to learn anymore since then. But last year I had a Michael's gift card and went to buy some soap making supplies, but that didn't make up all of my gift card. So I bought a teach yourself crochet kit. So in short... probably my aunt, but I sort of fell into it on my own later in life. :)

I have cousin in Chile and when I had my daughter she sent me all these beautiful sweaters she knitted with crochet trims. I was totally blown away. She did them all without patterns. I knew how to crochet then, but not very well. I started back up and now I can't stop.

Great Aunts seem to feature quite a lot, and I'm no exception. My great aunt made me a bubble gum pink dress for my favourite doll when I was about 6, and then tried to teach me. She wasn't successful, so Dad eventually got me going with it. The aunt, Gladys, who has since died, was always happy to see me crochet, and kept going herself until she died. She certainly wasn't your stereotypical crocheting old lady - she rode a motorbike (with dog in the basket) until very late, lived in a beach house all year 'round, and was considered a rebel. I think that's what inspired me, more than the crochet itself. I wanted to be like her.

Jaki

I learned to crochet from my cousin's wife and her friend during a girls' weekend vacation. We had my cousin's two young children with us and when they rested, we crocheted. I loved it from the moment I held the hook and was soon crocheting up a storm, though I was never able to get together with them for crocheting again. I learned more from books because we didn't have "online" then. LOL Yes, I'm old. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

My one grandmother crocheted and the other knitted. One summer I was bored & kind of lonely and found a beautiful afghan that my grandmother crocheted when I was in grade school and many doll clothes (I never did play with dolls, but I certainly have a lot of home made clothes). Looking at them, I realized the time it took along with the love, and really saw the beauty. I decided to teach myself how to do it. When I finished my first afghan, it wasn't perfect but I thought it was pretty. It disappeared. I found it a few months later when I went to my fiance's daughter's room. She had it on her bed. She thought it was too pretty to just be in a bag, so she took it and uses it. She says it cheers her up when I am not around. She thinks it is perfect. I wish that I would have appreciated all of my homemade gifts at her age. Since then I have been hooked and always working on something. Now I have someone to work with.

I didn't know anyone who crocheted when I first started. My family and friends didn't do it. A neighbor taught me chain stitch and sc and then I learned all the other basics from books. I just taught my mom and sister how to crochet the borders around those little flannel baby blankets. I've been their inspiration!:D

Guest Crafterlady46

My Mother taught me. She was a smart talented lovely person. She was beautiful inside and out. She was patient, giving, kind and very smart.

Priscilla

I had a babysitter when I was younger who knitted. I watched her with fascination, and she promised to make a dress for my Barbie. She never made it. A couple of years later, my grandfather promised to make me a seashell necklace. He never made it. I still think of those promises every few months, though I'm 20 now :P

So a few months ago, I promised myself I'd make something pretty for me. I was determined to not let that be a broken promise, so I picked up a cheap "teach yourself to crochet" booklet, found a pattern I wanted to make (alternating windowpanes scarf on crochetme), and have been at it ever since. :hook

I ,leaned young . I was 12 so it was 30 years ago. All of my life I had watched my mother and grandmothers crochet and knit. In fact my mother had a yarn store which slowly turned into a craft store over the years. My mother had tried to teach me severaL times when i was growing up but couldn't . ( I didn't hold my hook right lol).

My Grand mother finally said how I held the hook didn't matter as long as what i was making looked the same in the end as everyone elses.

I guess she is who inspired me with most because she gave me the freedom to simply be me while expressing myself .

Be blessed

Mickie

my grandmother, most definately. Before she lost her eyesight, she could make anything she could imagine. Her doilies are legendary in the family, and she used the thinnest yarn. Amazing :)

I do not think she ever knitted clothes, but she knitted socks. Thick warm socks. I swore by them in winter time :)

My inspiration was my Grandma (Dad's Mom). She made such beautiful, lacy things like doilies. Most of what she did was thread crochet. I was 1500 miles away and taught myself to crochet. I made the afghans because Grandma didn't.

My first major project was what turned out to be a 6 x 7.5 foot ripple afghan in pink, hot pink and white Dazzle yarns. Finished when I was 15. I didn't make another one that big until about 5 years ago.

Stephanie

My Aunt Sandy has crocheted forever. And just a couple weeks ago I said I wanted to learn, so she taught me. She keeps me going while I'm doing new things and trying out stuff. I remember when I was little and she made me Barbie outfits. I think that's when I first wanted to learn how to crochet.

I didn't know anyone who crocheted,so a magazine was my inspiration.

In a country-style decorating magazine ,I saw a traditional black/scrap Granny Square afghan thrown over the back of a couch and I just fell in love with all the use of color!

My grandmother taught me and the beautiful designs inspired me. Creative by nature I love to take something as simple as a piece of string and turn it into something beautiful.

I can't say that any one person did.....I didn't grow up seeing anyone in my family crochet. But once I got married I saw my SIL crocheting and I was curious. I got some books, yarn, and hooks and taught myself. And eventually taught my mom as well.

Tammy

:hook:woo

My grandmother "Mammy" inspired me. I can see her sitting in her big rocker with her yarn bag and needle. Dont remember her ever working with thread though. Maybe thats where I get working with yarn all the time...

I can remember my grandmother crocheting and knitting when i was a little girl. And she did such beautiful work. But when i was tending bar in a family run bar my boss used to sit and crochet when we weren't busy and i thought i'd like to try it. So i bought a kit and taught myself. And i've loved it ever since :) . Pixie

Both my Mom and my Grandma. Neithe of them really do too much of it anymore though - too busy these days. My Gram knits more than crochet, but when she does crochet, boy she makes some wonderful stuff! I have a doll that she made a gorgeous crochet dress and hat for a few years ago. She also made one for my sister. My Gram has always been a crafty lady, and I always loved visiting her when I was a kid and playing with the left over scraps of yarn and fabric etc. and watching her make things. And my mom was the one who first taught me to crochet, so we spent a lot of time together and it was happy times and forming a bond bewteen us that I loved most. Now that I am older and more into it, we swap patterns and make things for each other when we can. :)

My mom used to crochet when I was little but because I am left handed she had the hardest time teaching me. As most southpaws I had to teach myself. Back in high school I played around with simple squares but didn't get really interested until a few years ago when I met one of my closest friends. Until then I didn't know anyone my own age that did any kind of hand craft. Watching her crochet all of the bridesmaid flowers and fans, flower girl baskets and flowers, boutonnieres as well as her bouquet for her wedding:eek I thought I could at least crochet some booties. If it weren't for her I probably would have just given it up, but I am so glad that I didn't because now my two and half year old daughter wants to learn:hug it's one skill I can't wait to teach her.

Archived