Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

Guest lillian1969

I was inspired most by my grandmother. She taught me when I was really young but I was a tomboy and I wasn't into crocheting at the time so I quickly forgot. Fast forward about 15 years and in the 6th month of my pregnancy, I decided I wanted to give something to my son that I had made myself. I hadn't crocheted at all since I was little so I didn't remember how. My grandmother had passed a few years before so I asked my aunt to show me. So I guess it was really a combination of the three of them.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom taught me when I was 7 years old. I've done it off and on for almost 21 years. I'm going to be 28 on July 23rd. I really got into it when she showed me a basic hat so we could make them and send them to a hospital NICU. I made 200 hats for that hospital. I was 14. in 2010 I picked it up again and started making baby things for charity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an aunt who crocheted CONSTANTLY and I used to love to watch her because she did it so fast and made it look graceful and loved all the things that she made.

My mother!! She crocheted all the time. I am left handed and she couldn't teach me. She died when I was almost 16. After I had my first child, my church was starting a crochet class. So I started it thinking that I could give it one more try! I learned quick and haven't looked back!!!!

My mother, grandmother, and godmother were all avid crocheters.

My mother would still like to crochet, but between eyesight issues and arthritis, it's very hard for her. She tended to work on smaller projects that she could produce more quickly, but she did make an afghan for each one of her grandchildren while she was still able to do it.

My grandmother and godmother both did many types of projects, from snowflakes to afghans to bedspreads. I have several sets of pillowcases that my grandmother embroidered and crocheted edging on, several afghans, including one ripple afghan that my grandmother made me when I was a baby that my dd now uses. She never met my grandmother, but she knows who made her favorite afghan! :manyheart

At the holidays, my tree is covered in mostly handmade ornaments from the three of them.

• 7 months later...

My grandmother. She used to crochet all the time. she used to make beautiful bathroom ensembles and sell them for so little money. I've reproduced her pattern, but I have spent at least 4 times as much as she used to charge making one reproduction. The price of thread has gone up so much!!!

On another forum I visit (non-crochet/craft related) there's a thread dedicated to knitting and cross-stitch. A few of the members started posting pictures of their finished crochet projects and I fell in love with them, especially the blankets and cushion covers. When I was about 9 I remember my mum's friend crocheting coasters and things and thought they looked really lovely. Using one hook instead of two knitting needles (which I was used to) always seemed complicated though so I never tried. But the ladies on the other forum and the beautiful things they created inspired me to watch some videos and give it a go. So I think it would have to be them!

I first was a knitter and last Christmas my parents got me a book on knit amigurumi which also had a few crochet patterns. They also got me a crochet hook so I could make those projects, I learned basic crochet from a YouTube video, and now I love to crochet even more than I love to knit!

I first learned to crochet basic stitches when I was a little girl. My grandmother taught me after I showed an interest. I picked it up a few times but nothing ever came of it until 2010 when I started crocheting to help me quit smoking and to do something with my time. I started selling some of my scarves and I found myself enjoying it more and more. I've taught myself so much because of the internet. I love have information at my fingertips. I truly admire the art and I'm amazed at all you can create.

My grandma taught me to crochet, and there is a bit of me that wants her to love the things I make/sell. I know she does, she's wonderful. My husband really inspires me to do my shop. He has a lot of faith in me and he is what keeps me working so hard.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom.

When I was a baby I would always play with the yarn and crochet, even pull out her work..... a lot of the time. Over the years I'd just sit and watch her crochet, and then one day I piped up and said "I can do that.".. And she asked me to show her, and so I did :D... only took about 5 minutes to explain how to read the patterns and what stitches matched to which letter combinations in the pattern :).

• 2 months later...

That was a difficult question.

I begin to crochet when i gone in 4 to 9th grade and something happened i think it was my fathers fault i couldnt continue on this funny thing :( but i begin again because i know it was very fun to make something to everyone who has birthday or gift to yourselfes.. so the thing was i will make somthing to my sister in law so i continue after that and now i will not stop. and my husband said to me he will i not stop to croch because it be so many lovely things .

My unborn granddaughter. I wanted to crochet her all kinds of stuff. I taught myself to crochet from youtube. Now she is almost 4 years old and I love love love to crochet! Now I also have two more grandchildren to crochet for!

Two people, one was a stranger and one was my mom.

I first tried crocheting about 14 years ago when I was 11 but I didn't get very far, I managed a chain I didn't even get as far as a SC.

Then a month ago I went somewhere and there was a crocheted prayer shawl. I instantly fell in love with it. But didn't think about doing it myself. Then a few weeks later I told mom I was wanting a new hobby and she instantly suggested crocheting.

So a stranger inspired me to crochet for charity and make prayer blankets/wraps, chemo caps, and NICU blankets; and my mom gave me the push to actually do it.

• 4 weeks later...

My Grandma's One grammy always crochet me doll clothing... my other crochet me a afghan that I still have today. whn i was born. i always loved crochet blankets and wantd to learn.. athou I did not learn till i was in my 20's.

Archived