Who inspired you most to start crocheting?

Guest lillian1969

My grandma always crocheted doilies and she tried to teach me when i was a kid, but i didn't stick with it...i couldn't understand how to do it. after watching Harry Potter and things like that...i wanted to make scarves and that cute little cardigan that Luna wears in the 5th movie. that's when I got online and watched some videos and taught myself how to...still haven't made that cardigan yet...

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandma inspired me to learn how to crochet. She's been crocheting all her life. I said in high school that I wanted to learn how to crochet. High school came & went and now that I'm 25.....I finally sat down with my grandma 2 years ago wanting to learn. She taught me the basics (ch, sc, dc) and how to read patterns. Now I've made a total of 3 baby blankets, tons of dishcloths, baby hats (inspired by my nephew) and am branching out learning how to do different stitches and different patterns. She helps whenever I need her. She is the best! :manyheart

My Great Aunt Francis and My Great Aunt Alice. Aunt Francis was always crocheting, she made my sister and I dolls and clothes when were young. My Aunt Alice crocheted doily's. I still have a lot of the ones she made. My grandmother gave them to me when Aunt Alice passed away, she knew how much I loved them and watching Aunt Alice make them.:manyheart

I would have to say my great aunt. She used to make bed dolls, that were just beautiful. I want to make one of those for my little girl one day. I fell in love with crochet, but my first project wasn't the greatest.

Blessings,

Lynn

Ok, may sound strange but Laura Ingalls Wilder (the author) got me interested in crochetting...and all craft work in general...and cooking from scratch LOL...Actually she is my inspiration for a lot of things. I thank my mother for first bringing me her books. I have read her series of books more than a dozen times...I practially know all of them by heart. I have even visited Rocky Ridge Farm where she lived as a married women. I started quilting, crosstitching, knitting, crochetting, cooking from scratch, baking from her. She even inspired me to "make something from nothing"...meaning when you are in the kitchen or doing crafts or any other day to day thing, making something special or thinking of other ways to do things...(I don't know if that is understandable)..LOL, I remember even when I was living in Belize for a time, I didn't have many things for taking care of my house that I was used to (vaccum, car, washing machine, electricity--at times) and I would think, What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do...well I can tell you that I have beaten rugs clean many a times to get dust from them....ok..enough now.. yes I am very strange.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was truly inspired by everything my husbands grandmother did. She taught me to sew, cook, crochet, knit, plastic canvas, bake cakes and decorate them and she also taught me to do some quilting. There was not a thing this woman did not know how to do. I hope I am at least half the woman she was.....

Penny:c9

• 4 weeks later...

I use to watch my grandmother. It always facinated me how fast she could crochet, I remember how it almost put you into a trance watching her. Thank god she was so patient when she started teaching me. I don't know how she did it because im left handed and she was right handed but she never gave up on me. Everytime I pick up my crochet hook I think of her and smile. Sometimes I even dig out one of her old hooks and use it for one of my projects:)

• 3 weeks later...

My Aunt that lived right across the street. She taught me how to sew, knit, crochet, chalk pictures, water color, oil paint, ceramics, and quill. However now I just knit, crochet and sew. She is in a care facility now and I get up to see her quite often. She has alzhiemers. So I bring my knitting or crocheting along and sit and talk to her while I'm doing it. I feel it gives us both comfort because it ties us together.

My mom inspired me when i was about six or seven. she was always making angels and snowflakes for the christmas tree. she showed me how to chain and what i now know is the slip stitch and i went to free-forming clothes for my barbies. i recently picked it back up bout six months ago when i gave birth to my daughter because i wanted her to have something to last. i made her a blanket and as she grows i add more rows

My mom inspired me I watch her making many doilies and sweaters when I was four I was always amazed how things where made. But I did not learn from my mom but a teacher in school when I was nine and have not stop since. The teacher in school was very special to all us in class she taught the girls how to crochet and boys another craft of braiding long plastic strips for key chains or lanyards.

My daughter inspired me when I was pregnant with her. I wanted to give her something special, I wanted to wrap her in love, so I taught myself how tie little knots with yarn (the warmth of love in physical form) by reading books. I've been 'hooked' every since and find I am most inspired and do my best work when I am giving my knots of love away!

• 2 weeks later...

My grandmother is my inspiration. She passed away many years ago without knowing that I took up her love for crochet. When I first started a few years ago I was only going to crochet with yarn. I said I would never use thread and those small hooks. Well here I am using thread the most. I love making doilys. I have from size 00 to 10 of the steel hooks and just ordered 11 to 14. However they just emailed me to tell me 13 is out of stock. Love using thread like my granny. I dont do my mouth the way she used to do. I remember watching her move her mouth while crocheting. I only remember her using white thread. I have so many colors I have no room in my thread tubs. So I had to order more thread....LOL.

Avalee

My grandma was the one who taught me the basics of crocheting when I was younger. I tried to pick it up every once in a while when I was younger, but I could never figure out just how to hold the piece when it got too bIg to fit in my hand. Then in college over spring break, all my friends and roommates were gone, so I decided to pick it up again and make a blanket while watching all the seasons of The Office. Then it really flourished over Christmas break the next year, when again, I was alone at college, and I decided to make gifts for my family for Xmas. So I would say that hard, lonely times in college inspired ms to crochet. It helped open up a whole online community of crocehters that I hadn't even know about. And it got ms through some of (and hopefully the only) worst times of my life.

I must say it originally was my mother, but she never taught me to crochet. The lady who did teach me to crochet was my aunt. Although she could never read a pattern, she made some of the most beautiful items. I was able to teach myself to read a pattern.

My mom. She tried to teach me and I didn't "get it" at first. I started to pick it up again after I visited her and she made the comment that she wished I had picked up sewing or some other kind of hobby that we could share. (Definitely made me feel guilty even though it wasn't her intention!)

Now she has to deal with my calls when I can't figure things out. :D

My Campfire Leader taught me to make Granny Squares when I was in Jr. High school. Years later I invited her to a craft fair where I was selling a bunch of my crocheted wares and told her it was all because of her.

• 2 months later...

I can't say the Who, but a What! Someone made a beautiful crocheted afghan for my mom, which she put on my bed in the winter. It was just so pretty that it was my inspiration to be self-taught.

Archived