Which yarns would you like to try?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually, mohair is goat, which may or may not present a problem to people allergic to sheep's wool.

angora is another option, being from bunnies... :)

-jess

• 3 weeks later...

Silk and wool. I have some wool ordered from Smiley's and can't wait to try it and try felting. :knit

• 3 weeks later...

I want to try all of them, lol! But I especially would love to try the soy silk and bamboo yarns, as well some of those gorgeous handpainted yarns I've been seeing thanks to links posted on this forum. They just make me :drool:drool:drool I'm such a color junkie!

I also want to work with wool, have a couple of skeins of the Merino from knitpicks I'm looking forward to trying out. And last, but not least, I want to get my hands on some fisherman's wool so I can try my hand at dyeing...

Gosh, I could go on and on, but I better quit now! :devil

a silk or silk blend....

Filatura Di Crossa "Brilla" for a specific pattern....

geez. any of those wonderful yummy yarns I'm too cheap to splurge on. One day I will though...and then....watch out :hook

And really, any yarn I haven't tried before. I like that Bohemian Yarn out now.

• 1 month later...

Sirdar's Yo-Yo, ribbon yarn, and although this is kinda straying from topic, I'd love to try my hand at kool-aid dying some wool yarn.

I'd love to try angora (100% or blend), 100% wool to try my hand at fulling, Cotton Tots (have only used Peaches & Cream and Sugar N Cream for cotton), 100% silk (I have poly/silk blend, but the silk is raw), soy silk, bamboo, more mohair/mohair blends, more ribbon yarns (I've used Incredible, Choo-Choo and Tartelette~~yummy yarns!).

My LYS just got in Qiviut (Ki-VEE-yoot) yarn, which is made from the arctic musk ox. I noticed it in a locked display case and scoffed at it's $60+ per skein price. Then the shopkeeper made me feel it. I want it. I want it REALLL bad! :lol

Check it out here

A few skeins of this and a fancy glass hook or two and I'm all set. RAOK away, girls! Let me know if you need my addy.

:laughroll

I've only tried 100% WW acrylic (red heart, caron, etc), sugar and cream and some unnamed wool that's really scratchy so...yeah. I'd like to try anything.

I must admit, I normally don't like buying wool (it's the hippie in me) but noro has me drooling. I'd love to try anything and everything.

actually, mohair is goat, which may or may not present a problem to people allergic to sheep's wool.

angora is another option, being from bunnies... :)

-jess

:lol :lol i was wondering about that LOL i can use some angora, but not wool or mohair. weird huh? so now i know that all wolls are not really wool:lol :lol vicki

I would love to try some silks. But I really like the ribbon yarns I've seen. I do give them a squeeze when I see them at the stores. And then I rub them on my check. What can I say just love all yarns.

Blessings and hugs,

Mary

There was this cool ribbon yarn from a shop in San Francisco, but it's discontinued. :(

So I guess silk yarn is the other kind I've been wondering about.

• 3 months later...

I'm a beginning chochetter and fell in love immediately with the many wonderful yarns out there. I've purchases some fun fur and some ribbon yarn...I've made a couple of attempts at the fun fur, having trouble with the smaller hooks I had--I purchased a P and Q hook and made it to two rows, but had such a hard time seeing my stitches that I stopped...I'd still love to try this next, lol.

i made scarf for scarf swap using yarn purchased from knitpixie-wool/silk-himalaya

it was awful to work with imho

many slubs, thinning ,thick, strands, knots etc.

the silk was recycled and from what i could see there was everything in yarn silver-blue-brown-etc. i will not use yarn again.

i. e-mailed knitpixie and told them of my disappointment they said they would replace or refund money- i didn't want a refund etc. they called the yarn "rustic"

rustic to say the least for the money i spent it should have been perfect-

the scarf did turn out beautiful

joanne

Recycled silk is no fun! I suffered through making a scarf with it. It has no stretch or twist, so it's very hard to work with. There's also lots of little twigs and splinters spun with the silk that you have to watch out for.... on the other hand, it really is pretty when built up. *grin*

Ribbon yarn is surprisingly fun to crochet with!

My dream is to make a croched purse out of hand dyed rayon cord (also known as gimp or rat tail). But my dream is to afford cashmere. *drool* I'd also love to make an angora tam.

What kind did you use? I just made a scarf with Mango Moons recylced silk, and it was perfect!

Megan

My LYS just got in Qiviut (Ki-VEE-yoot) yarn, which is made from the arctic musk ox. I noticed it in a locked display case and scoffed at it's $60+ per skein price. Then the shopkeeper made me feel it. I want it. I want it REALLL bad! :lol

Check it out here

A few skeins of this and a fancy glass hook or two and I'm all set. RAOK away, girls! Let me know if you need my addy.

:laughroll

OOH, that looks yummy!! I'll treat us both, as soon as I win the $200 million Mega Millions lottery. Because I plan to. Win that is :)

Megan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived