Get to Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 2

Where do you keep your hooks? Right now they're in a clearish purple plastic box with a lid. I'm hoping to crochet a holder for them.

Do you block stuff? I haven't made anything that's needed blocked yet. I'm currently working on some squares in a mohair blend that will need blocked when I'm done.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Sometimes.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? The biggest thing was an afghan for my brother. The smallest........probably a cat toy.

Where do you keep your WIPs? Usually on the coffee table within reach. I try not to have too many WIPs. Currently I only have two but that may change shortly.

Do you make things for yourself? Not so much. So far I've made myself a purse, and two scarves.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you keep your hooks? In a jewelry travel case my mom gave me for that purpose...and in a pencil case near my bed...and in the car glove compartment...oh, and I there are one or two in a plastic bag in the back seat of the car... and in the junk, I mean special drawer I have for the purpose of placing crochet hooks I find around the house - in my craft project bag...in my computer bag...with the project I am working on.......etc......

Do you block stuff? I have blocked items - usually as a result of guilt :blush after reading an expert crocheter's advice...(I feel freed from this after reading the board). I now will block only when absolutely necessary!

Do you dream "in crochet"? Not yet.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? An afghan for my brother and sister-in-law.

Smallest? A doily I just finished with a size 7 steel hook that was supposed to be 4 inches and ended up 2 1/2. (I'm glad you didn't ask if we always check gauge.)

Where do you keep your WIPs? In the basket near the couch...and the one in the spare bedroom... in the basket by my bed...in my craft bag...in the car.... (see question #1 - I think I need to join that UFO group)

Do you make things for yourself? I begin to make things for myself. I do finish making some things for others.

Where do you keep your hooks? I have 2 quilted crochet hook cases that I mostly keep my hooks in. I also have a wooden box I got on ebay that I put them in. They also can be found in my purse and in whatever tote bag I'm using. I wish I were more organized. :(

Do you block stuff?Nope. I only blocked once. It was a sunflower doily that I made for my mom. If I make it again, I'll just make the flowers larger so I won't have to block.

Do you dream "in crochet"?Sometimes!

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest was a table runner for my mom and one for a friend. Smallest was baby bootie pins for another friend's baby shower.

Where do you keep your WIPs?In a basket next to my bed.

Do you make things for yourself? I am beginning to make more things for myself.

Let me say right up front that I had to open this thread just because someone named "BabeVigoda" started it. "BabeVigoda." How cool is that?

Ok, here's mine:

Where do you keep your hooks? I have a hook set in it's own box from my college days (sizes E - K). I have a set of large size Crystalites in their own plastic pouch (sizes L - P). I have a set of steel hooks also in their own plasic pouch. I have several other loose hooks that I keep in a tapestry eyeglass case. Finally, I have a really cool pink pencil case that I stole from my 5 yo daughter that I put hooks in when I'm on the go. Wow - long answer!

Do you block stuff? Haven't yet - although I'm working on a felted bag that I may have to.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Well, it's not my preference :wink, but I do have dreams about crochet projects and yarn!

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest? Gy-normous fisherman afghan done holding 3 strands of ww yarn done in panels. The smallest is Vanessa, my first (and only) bear made of thread.

Where do you keep your WIPs? In a basket next to my crochet chair.

Do you make things for yourself? OMG - it's just occuring to me that I've never in all my 20+ years EVER made anything for myself! Jinkies!

I should clarify - that'd be 20+ years of crocheting, not of life! Sigh. :grandma

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you keep your hooks? I have a set in the plastic case they came in, but it's breaking so I need to find or make a new case. I also have a small canvas bag for the other hooks or on the go stuff.

Do you block stuff? I haven't yet

Do you dream "in crochet"? No.

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? An afghan all in single crochet (back loops only) out of Homespun yarn. It's been over 3 years and I'm still going on it!

Smallest? A small scarf for a stuffed Classic Piglet that was my college boyfriend's. It was a "study" for his scarf (an enormous scarf that reaches to his knees when wrapped twice around his neck).

Where do you keep your WIPs? In a large canvas bag that says "Tax Slayer" on it - my future MIL works for the IRS. She gives me lots of things for my crocheting!

Do you make things for yourself? Yes. The latest was a halter top I'll have to post pictures of. :)

The biggest thing I ever crocheted was a pineapple table cloth. During the Gulf War my son was only 18 when he went. I spent my days and nights on the sofa watching for any information and news. I became addicted.

Mary

I keep my hooks in a small make up bag. I have a extra set hidden under a chair. I misplaced my hooks once and went out and bought another set. Was going to take them back, but the trauma of ever going through that again, made me keep a extra set.

Mary

Where do you keep your hooks?

In a plastic pencil case

Do you block stuff?

I haven't made anything large or complicated enough to warrant doing so.

Do you dream "in crochet"?

Not yet.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest?

I started doing a stuffed snake but I got bored and frogged it. I think the smallest was a cat toy.

Where do you keep your WIPs?

I have a caster-wheeled cart with two large drawers that stuff gets stashed in. All my craft projects are in there.

Do you make things for yourself?

Yep.

Hooks: In a zippered crochet hook case

Blocking: If the yarn/pattern requires it

Dream: not yet

Biggest: Full-size afghan with a shell stitch

Smallest: An experimental flower in thread that drove me nuts

WIP: In a large, over-sized, bright, floral tapestry bag

Myself: Not until recently :hook

Get to Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 2

Where do you keep your hooks?when I go out they are in a cosmetic bag at home I have them in a pretty glass jar that I made a cozy for.

Do you block stuff?once for a doily

Do you dream "in crochet"?yes I always go to sleep thinking what I'm going to make and in what color and what hook.

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest?baby afghan and the smallest

a thread angel.

Where do you keep your WIPs?in my room in a project bag

Do you make things for yourself? yes, a kerchief and a hat

Right now I'm still using a little pink pouch (cotton cloth, not crochet) I made for my grandma before she died. I found it while we were going through some of her personal effects last year, and brought it home. I've been using it for my hooks and other tools since. I was recently given two afghan hooks by Crochet Smartcat, though, and they don't fit. They've been laying at the bottom of my big wicker crochet basket. Once there's an empty Lay's Stacks can available, I will transfer my larger hooks to that.

Do you block stuff?

I've never really needed to. I would if ever I made something that would really be nicer if I did.

I've had a few dreams where I was crocheting, and I've experienced crochet deja vu. I also have a zillion crochet ideas a day and daydream about them often.

Hmm. That's hard. To be honest, I've... er... :blushnever completed a full afghan, so probably a large poncho I made for my mom, which was about the size of a medium afghan. Smallest is very hard because I've made lots of small things. Probably one of the scunchies I made years ago as beginnner.

Depends on the size and amount of yarn. The WIPs I'm working hardest on, especially if they're small, stay in my big wicker crochet basket. Other wips usually end up in bags all over the place or on our very oversized foot stool (it's about four feet long and two feet wide) which we've always used as a coffee table.

Yes. I love to make prototypes and they're usually things I'm interested in. Of course I make things for others, too, but I admit I've probably made more things for myself over the years. Usually they're just small accessories, though.

Where do you keep your hooks? I've got a little zippered case just for my hooks. Duplicate hooks are kept in a coffee cup in the "junk room".

Do you block stuff? I've never blocked any of my crocheted items.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Probably, I know that I sometimes daydream "in crochet".

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest is a WIP. I'm making a multi-colored spread for our queen-sized bed from yarn sitting in my stash. Smallest would have to be some little angels I made one year for Christmas. I attached each one to a little bell and tied them to everyone's presents.

Where do you keep your WIPs? Beside and behind my chair.

Do you make things for yourself? I wish I did, but I seem to keep giving things away.

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

Where do you keep your hooks? plastic three drawer container, container that came with my lamp, Crochet Legacy hook case, quilted hook case - yes, I have them all over the place. LOL

Do you block stuff? Nope. Uh, only once - for the CYCA course, it said to block, so I did

Do you dream "in crochet"? lol, hmm. Not that I remember.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest, king size afghan. Smallest, fridgies - pumpkin and clover

Where do you keep your WIPs? plastic grocery bags or on the sofa

Do you make things for yourself? rarely

My answers below:

Where do you keep your hooks? In special crochet/knitting zip pouch that is inscribed with the motto: Knitting Forever, Housework Whenever.

Do you block stuff? Not all of the time.

Do you dream "in crochet"? No, but often times I cannot sleep because I am trying to work out a crochet pattern. Does that count???

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest thing I ever crocheted - a 25 foot (yes, 25 feet!) giant squid. Smallest - my chicken nuggets (about 2" high).

Where do you keep your WIPs? In bins.

Do you make things for yourself? That's relative with the stuff I make...:laughroll

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

In cases, and the lose ones are rubber banded together in my tote.

Do you block stuff?

No, never had to.

Of course!

Afghan for the biggest...and a bookmark for the smallest

Well...I have some stuff in plastic bags behind the little sofa in the DR, and some in my closet, and in the attic...we won't go up there!

I have made three afghans for myself(the family)

Where do you keep your hooks? In a large tote bag and several on my pc riser thingy

Do you block stuff? Only when playing basketball... not yet,I will however soo I believe

Do you dream "in crochet"? Nope

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Huge afghans and a baby bib in #10 thread

Where do you keep your WIPs? It might be easier to say where I DON'T keep them

Do you make things for yourself? Haven't yet..but Im sure I will oneday

Where do you keep your hooks? In a hook case, in the diaper bag, in whatever skein of yarn I happen to be using at the time, on the top shelf of my yarn closet, in the top drawer of the filing cabinet & on top of it, and in my yarn tote. Yes, I have that many hooks.:hook

Do you block stuff? No. Never made anything that needed it.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Er, well, I did a couple of days ago have a dream that I went to B&N and found lots of crochet magazines, and they were all on sale...

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest--baby blanket for Linda, my younger daughter. I just don't have the attention span for blankets, usually. Smallest would have to be some Barbie clothes.

Where do you keep your WIPs? The dining room table, my yarn closet, the closet across from the yarn closet, my yarn bag, sometimes the couch...

Do you make things for yourself? Rarely. I only make small stuff, see, and I am not a small woman.

In a mardi gras cup on a shelf in my bedroom.

Do you block stuff?

I block stuff that I make with thread. I've yet to need to block anything I've made with yarn.

Not that I can remember, but I'm sure I have.

biggest-I just put together the biggest granny square blanket ever. I was in an exchange, so I think that's fair that I claim that since I made the same number of squares, I just didn't make all of the ones in my blanket. It was 25 12'' squares and I crocheted them together, so it is HUGE! Smallest would be a bookmark I've made and I love it!

My current project is always on or beside the couch. Others that are put away for a while are in a cheese box (the size of a hat box) in my bedroom. I also have a knitted wip (been learning forever now) in a coffee table in my bedroom.

Sometimes, but usually I just make gifts!

I love reading through these ... so many kindred spirits here :)

Where do you keep your hooks? If they aren't currently in use, in a case on my desk; if they are, they're with the project I'm using them for.

Do you block stuff? Yep, I block almost everything I make. It makes it look nicer IMO and I give everything away so looking nice counts.

Do you dream "in crochet"? No, thank God. Like others I've had dreams where I was crocheting, though.

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest, an afghan I made for my son (he's 6'6.5", so it had to be big!); smallest, snowflakes.

Where do you keep your WIPs? Every now and then I see nifty, sturdy fabric tote bags on a really really great sale -- and I buy them. I probably have a dozen in various sizes from medium to big enough to hold an afghan, and various fabrics from utilitarian twill to beautiful tapestry. Whatever is being actively worked on is in a bag beside me at my desk/in the car/on the couch/in the kitchen, and whatever isn't is hung on pegs in the closet in the spare room.

Do you make things for yourself? I made myself a scarf one year to test out some yarn and see how it worked up; otherwise, no. But this year I'm going to make myself Serafina's Shawl, I swear I am, and I'm also eyeing a pattern for a sweater/shrug that I'd love to have if I ever find a truly decadent yarn on a truly super sale ...

Lani

In a zippered pencil pouch...the kind kids have in their school binders.

Do you block stuff?

Only if absolutely necessary!

No

Biggest, a king size afghan...smallest, snowflakes.

Tied in plastic store bags and tote bags.

Sometimes, but I like making things for others.

I have them in my WIP bag but the pencil case sounds like the way to go.

Do you block stuff?

Haven't had to yet...:eek

I do have yarn dreams:hook

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest?

I've made a number of large blankets. Small...baby blankets, small drawstring bag.

Where do you keep your WIP's?

I have a bag I got from Michael's for knitting projects, not all that happy with it, tho:think

I'd say it's pretty even between me, the kids and friends. If it doesn't come out *quite right*, I will keep it.

:manyheart

Justine

Where do you keep your hooks? WIP keep their hooks with them and the rest go in a zippered hook keeper.

Do you block stuff? Thread stuff when it needs it.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Nope.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest is probably my current afghan project, to cover the top of a full bed. Smallest, a mini granny square (just the first round).

Where do you keep your WIPs? In plastic grocery bags so they stay clean while I'm at school.

Do you make things for yourself? I'm keeping many of my doilies, but dishcloths and other things are usually given away.

I made a quilted hook holder...it sits in my basket by the recliner

Do you block stuff?

I blocked a doily

I have been itchin to make a halter and I constantly daydream about the finished product...it is 80% done and then I have to make a cute (fabric) skirt & hairbows to go along with it

Biggest: an afghan for my husband....it took 13 skeins of LionBrand Homespun...it is 9 feet by 6 feet worked with a K hook all DC

Smallest: (other than swatches) a preemie hat for my first practice hat

I have a gorgeous basket by my recliner...it has 5 WIP in it right now

I made a lacy skull cap and am working on a sweater. I also made potholders and doilies (out of yarn) for my kitchen

Where do you keep your hooks? I bought a nylon bag with lots of slots for the hooks.

Do you block stuff? Not yet.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Not yet, but I'm new to the madness.

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest-I'm about to finish up the 63 squares afghan. Smallest-I made preemie hats and booties (and will never make booties again).

Where do you keep your WIPs? I have a couple of tote bags for the less serious projects. For my main project I have a basket with a fabric liner that lets me see everything I need. All are kept on a shelf in my closet to protect them from cats.

Do you make things for yourself? I sure keep trying... but then another person will have a baby or I'll think of a gift I need rightaway! So this 63-squares afghan will be all mine and go on the end of my bed in the summer. (Maybe I'll need to make a winter afghan as well)

Where do you keep your hooks? pencil case, when I tidy up. Otherwise, usually on my desk or stuffed in a random ball of yarn

Do you block stuff? depends on what it is.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Doesnt everyone?

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest finished project-a BIG poncho Smallest-little bumblebees and flies

Where do you keep your WIPs? Wherever they land, lol

Do you make things for yourself? Nope, not usually

Archived