Get to Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 2

Where do you keep your hooks? For now, in a pencil box. Once I get some nice ones I'll make a holder for them.

Do you block stuff? I've only had to block one thing, but when it's needed, yes (thank goodness I learned that from my mom!)

Do you dream "in crochet"? I have, yes

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Twin sized blanket; coaster (my first project ever)

Where do you keep your WIPs? In canvas bags or on top of my yarn tubs

Do you make things for yourself? not yet - I made a hat for myself but didn't like it on so I finally gave it away

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you keep your hooks?

I made myself a hook case, but it's a little small.

Do you block stuff?

I haven't yet.

Do you dream "in crochet"?

I have dreamt about crochet, but it's almost always brought on by new yarns in my stash.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest?

The largest thing is still in progress... a queen size blanket. The smallest would be flowers.

Where do you keep your WIPs?

In a box that I stick in the hall closet. I really want one of those storage ottomans so I can keep it close at hand.

Do you make things for yourself?

I have and I will again. :)) But I tend to make stuff for others more.

~Tricia

I keep my hooks in two cylindrical purses that were Lancome freebies (when you made a purchase) several years ago. I actually got them at two different times, and one is smaller than the other. Though I could put all my hooks in the larger one, I put my tiny steel hooks in the smaller purse and all my other sizes in the bigger purse. Then at a glance I know which bag to grab for a certain type hook.

I also have a Clover set of hooks in their own pouch. I believe there are 14 hooks in it altogether, a small measuring ruler, small scissors, and two needles. This is my favorite set of hooks, though I think the sizes are a bit "off".

Do you block stuff?

A little. Nothing fancy. Bookmarks and doilies I will either wet and gently shape. Sometimes I will use starch. But I don't have a blocking board or use pins or do it 'right'. :worried

Can't say I ever have. :no

Biggest thing I ever crocheted was a white granny-square afghan for my grandparents for a Christmas gift. It was my first big project and I was new enough that I didn't concern myself with gauge. This 'afghan' ended up big enough to spread across their king-size bed!

The smallest I've ever crocheted...probably a "Skein of Yarn" pin I designed. :)

Usually right next to me by my recliner or here by the computer, depending on its size.

:rotfl Does that answer your question? I can't recall...Oh, I did make a coaster for myself once...it's right here in front of me. I can't think of anything else I've ever actually KEPT!

Where do you keep your hooks? Moslty scartered within easy reach.

Do you block stuff? no

Do you dream "in crochet"? no

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Afgan, prayer rock pouch.

Where do you keep your WIPs? On my couch where I can get to them. Have one in the closet that I have decided is too hard to do right now.

Do you make things for yourself? Not yet

Where do you keep your hooks? In the containers they came in, also have an old zip up ouch that isnt big enough for all of my hooks.

Do you block stuff? Have never done that yet.

Do you dream "in crochet"? Lol, not that I remember.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? An afghan for a twin sized bed for a friend's son. Smallest? Coasters i think.

Where do you keep your WIPs? In the yarn tubs on top of the yarn.

Do you make things for yourself? I really dont think I ever have!

• 4 weeks later...

Where do you keep your hooks? In my hook case or next to my WIP

Do you block stuff? Not usually

Do you dream "in crochet"? All the time

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Probably a XL afghan Smallest? fridgies

Where do you keep your WIPs? In a basket next to the couch

Do you make things for yourself? Yes

In a large blue coffee mug with a cat paw print on the side, sitting on the desk by my laptop.

Do you block stuff?

When it's necessary.

No.

Biggest thing you ever crocheted? Smallest?

Biggest: Afghan. Smallest: Crochet thread snowflake.

In a large green Lion Brand tote bag.

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you keep your hooks? For my crochet hooks I keep my most used hooks in a square little clear plastic container that I keep by my bedside. Knitting needles I keep in a wine container that you give wine as gifts in.

Do you block stuff? Not usually

Do you dream "in crochet"? Have on occassion but usually when I'm stumped on a pattern I'm creating. It's how I solve blocks when I'm stumped.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Guardian Angel afghan for biggest and smallest is the HairGizmo pattern I created.

Where do you keep your WIPs? In cloth bags that I get at Michaels.

Do you make things for yourself? Yes, purses, a poncho, shawls

The ones I'm not using are in a toothbrush holder, the travel kind. I never used it for anything else. lol

The ones in use are usually stuffed in to the project.

Do you block stuff?

Not so far, never had the need.

Lately I have been a little. LOL

Probably an afghan for my bed, it was about full size.

Smallest was probably the bookmarks.

Everywhere. lol

I have a couple bags and tote bags I use and sometimes I just use a grocery bag.

Yup but not as much as I'd like.

Steel hooks are in an ugly fabric holder I bought from Herrschner's. LOL! My Lacis Rosewood hooks are in a padded fabric holder that ties with a ribbon. My Susan Bates are stored in the case they came in back in 1974! hahaha

Do you block stuff?

Thread doilies - yes.

No.

Hmmm ... afghans are large, but the "biggest" (based on number stitches and such when compared to thread and hook size) was a 23-inch doily.

The smallest is a tie between two doilies that I miniaturized:

http://www.spatulagraphics.com/albums/final2002fos/mini2JPG.html

http://www.spatulagraphics.com/albums/final2002fos/minipurplejpg.html

I only have one going at a time, and I have cloth bags that I rotate and use.

Sure! My latest ghan is all mine. hehehe

Where do you keep your hooks? In a Pringles can

Do you block stuff? I haven't made anything yet that's needed blocking

Do you dream "in crochet"? NO

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest is the afghan I just gave my son and daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. Smallest would have to be baby booties.

Where do you keep your WIPs? in a canvas tote bag, or if they're too big, in a plastic bin along with my yarn.

Do you make things for yourself? Yes

Where do you keep your hooks? I bought myself a Coach wristlet that matches my Coach bag and I keep them in there

Do you block stuff? Sometimes, if it is needed

Do you dream "in crochet"? I have been known to

Biggest think you ever crocheted? The Ribbon Candy Afghan Smallest? A Dishcloth

Where do you keep your WIPs? Tote bags or a basket or a little suitcase

Do you make things for yourself? Believe it or not, no

I keep my hooks in a pencil case, and a fabric hook holder I bought on Ebay.

Do you block stuff?

I haven't yet. To be honest, I really don't know how.

yes

A blanket, and a soap holder.

In shopping bags, next to my couch.

Occasionally, but not very often.

Where do you keep your hooks? A few years ago, my husband got me a little zipper case that I keep them in.

Do you block stuff? It depends a lot on the project.

Do you dream "in crochet"? No, that's never happened to me.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? The biggest would be a realy big afghan I made for a King size bed. The smallest would be a an outfit for a Calico Critters baby bunny rabbit.

Where do you keep your WIPs? In a big plastic beach toy basket.

Do you make things for yourself?I start to, but I always end up giving them to someone else.

Where do you keep your hooks? in my newly made crocheted hook case

Do you block stuff? no

Do you dream "in crochet"? yes

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? afghan (biggest) preemie booties (smallest)

Where do you keep your WIPs? usually only do one at time, but by the couch

Do you make things for yourself? only once.. the crocheted hook case

Where do you keep your hooks? In this yellow pencil case my mom got me from the dollar bin at Duane Reade.

Do you block stuff? Nope.

Do you dream "in crochet"? I dreamt once that I was making....something....for someone....or someone asked me to make them something...or....I dunno something crochet-y...weird.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Half a throw I'm in the process of making is the biggest yet. Smallest was a chapstick cozy thing.

Where do you keep your WIPs? In one of those hampers that have the wire going through that makes them stand up but you can fold them up again...yea one of those (um...I never used it as a hamper before I used it as a WIP holder....don't worry :P)

Do you make things for yourself? Nope.

Where do you keep your hooks? in a ziplock bag

Do you block stuff? not yet

Do you dream "in crochet"? I dont think so

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? a baby afghan (biggest) baby booties for preemies (smallest)

Where do you keep your WIPs? WIPs?

Do you make things for yourself? I will be attempting a shawl soon

Where do you keep your hooks? in a case that I got at Walmart, and the ones that don't fit are in the packaging from a 3-pack that I got

Do you block stuff? I've never been desperate enough, though I thought about blocking a few things

Do you dream "in crochet"? I don't dream that I'm crocheting, but if I'm sitting with nothing to do or bored at work I'll crochet in my mind.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? afghan (biggest), baby-size monster sock (smallest)

Where do you keep your WIPs? some of them are living in a rubbermaid tub or a shopping bag, and a few are living in my yarn-organizer. The ones I'm working on are generally on the end of the couch.

Do you make things for yourself? I make socks for myself, but that's about it... I made a scarf, and I'm making the 63 squares afghan for me (whenever I actually work on it!) I have more ideas for things for me though, so I'll start to benefit a little more.

Inside of a bag, on their orginal cards, and some in a "Vanna White holder",, lol

Do you block stuff?

no

I just did last night.. lol

King size blanket for my step sister

a beanie hat for my nephew

I try NOT to have of these. I like to finish one project before starting another one.

uummm...good question...no.. I usually end up giving it to a family member.

some are in a vase, others in a sectioned box with a different space for each size.

Do you block stuff?

yep, except afghans

haven't yet. does that mean I'm not a "real" crocheter? :heehee

afghan...yo yo

closets, bags, car, baskets, shelves...anywhere safe from cats.

yes, but I never finish them. The only stuff I finish goes to exchanges and others

Sara

Where do you keep your hooks? I have a basket by my recliner for my yarn hooks and knitting needles. That's where I keep them unless some small person borrows them

Do you block stuff? nope

Do you dream "in crochet"? Not dream exactly, but I design in my head sometimes

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? An afghan was the biggest - Easter bunny pins was the small

Where do you keep your WIPs? In various baskets and bags by my recliner

Do you make things for yourself? Once in a while. Just finished a Martha poncho and a shawl.

Cheryl

In a hook case, in my backpack.

Do you block stuff?

Not unless it needs it.

Always before bed, I think about "Whats next" :c9

Biggest: A mile-a-minute afghan I made for my 7 year old sister.

Smallest: Bookmark

They have their own small dresser :hook

I've only made myself a bag and a hook case, everything else went to new homes. :)

Do you block stuff?

I keep all of my hooks in a coral colored plastic pencil box that I got at Walmart for 99 cents. It also holds a small measuring tape, nail file, nail clippers, scissors, pencil, post-it notes and tapestry needles.

Yes I block most of the items I make unless it really doesn't seem to need it like the purses I made for my cousins daughters.

I do dream in crochet. Sometimes I go through pattern repeats of whatever project I was most recently working on, and sometimes I dream about making things that I want to make, but haven't yet started on.

So far the biggest thing I have made was a camouflaged ripple blanket for my son for Christmas and the smallest thing was snowflakes ornaments.

I use gift bags that people have given me and my family to store all of my WIP's. I find that they stand up well and the yarn stays inside of them when I am working. I have various sizes depending on the size of the project, and they have convenient handles for carrying around with me.

The only things I have made for myself were the very first projects that I did. I made a doily, which I discovered towards the end that I was making the stitches wrong, but it came out looking fine so I kept it, and I made myself a set of coasters. Everything else I have made has been given away to family so far as gifts.

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you keep your hooks? I have two zippered cases where I can cram in most of them. The rest are in a basket.

Do you block stuff? I think I've blocked only once, and it didn't "take."

Do you dream "in crochet"? No, but sometimes I'm thinking so much about a project that I can't sleep.

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? Biggest was a scrap-yarn granny square afghan that I made in college. The smallest are little flowers that I was making to put together into a scarf.

Where do you keep your WIPs? All over the place. Mostly in my office (I work at home) in containers, on shelves and in tote bags hanging on the doorknobs and on the floor. Oh, and in the living room in another tote bag I keep the one I'm actually working on at the moment. I'm also going to put one in the car so I can work on the baby hats whenever I find myself stuck somewhere.

Do you make things for yourself? I made a shawl 24 years ago and didn't make one other thing for myself until last year, when I made a doily, couple of fur scarves and some dishcloths and scrubbies. At the moment, I am working on a shawl that I am going to keep. I always say that and then I end up giving it away, but I won't give this away because my daughter gave me the yarn for Christmas, and it's beautiful, 100% wool. (I think it's so interesting that we all give everything away and keep almost nothing for ourselves.)

(Edited to include doily)

Where do you keep your hooks? In a crocheted case that I made

Do you block stuff? not really

Do you dream "in crochet"? i see yarn

Biggest think you ever crocheted? Smallest? hubby's scarf

Where do you keep your WIPs? in a box

Do you make things for yourself? no

Archived