Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

First thing you ever crocheted? A mile-long chain when I was 8, then a ripple afghan for my Mom when I was 16.

Strangest place you have crocheted? High school! In class!

Fave thing to make? I guess afghans - love to see them being used by my kids.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet, hope to do Project Linus.

Fave yarn? I'm sooooo boring - I actually love WW.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Just fell in love with the Q hook, but generally like metal, the bigger the better!

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Circle sweater from CrochetMe last winter. Got 'er done and wear it.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? People who just decide to 'make a sweater' or whatever and then do it. without a pattern. I could maybe do a plain scarf or a baby 'ghan, but beyond that, I NEED written directions!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing you ever crocheted?a simple hat in blue varigated yarn and tie strings

Strangest place you have crocheted? I cant think of anyplace strange

Fave thing to make? most anything

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?Yes, prayer shawl

Fave yarn? regular yarn Ive tried some of the new things but my eyes cant seem to see the stitches

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?G or H, I like the aluminum Bates but I really really DONT like the Boye plastic ones

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?anything I crochet with thread is hard to me

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? hmmm not yet

• 2 weeks later...

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A scarf.

Strangest place you have crocheted? At the doctors while she removed something from my ankle.

Fave thing to make? Pullovers.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Cat blankets.

Fave yarn? Was Lion Brand Imagine. Now I have to find a new one. lol

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye. I like to work in the H thru J range.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Mittens. I was trying to do them in the round in the same style as knitted mittens.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Pineapple crochet.

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? Granny squares pink, white and blue when i was 10

Strangest place you have crocheted? pretty much anywhere I go, but no place really "strange"

Fave thing to make? afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? have made some critter blankies and that is about it so far, am looking into getting more involved in charities now

Fave yarn? Simply Soft and TLC they are really soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye definately and really no certain size

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? single crochet graph afghan for my dad, didn't really enjoy it much, but that behind me I would probably try another

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? just some patterns the way they are written I have to go over them a couple times for it to sink in

Caffiendess

First thing you ever crocheted?

Some holiday garland to wrap the banister leading up to my apartment.

Strangest place you have crocheted?

I crochet and knit on the city bus all the time.

Fave thing to make?

Stuffed toys, amigurumi.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

I'm making some hats and scarves for the mitten tree at my library (this is the second year I've done this, and plan on making it a habit), I've also made an afghan for a church festival for their craft booth, and plan on doing one for next year. I also plan on making a bunch of little stuffed animals for the festival, to use as prizes for the kids' games.

Fave yarn?

Ummm, yarn.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

I use aluminum, only because I can't afford the wonderful handmade wood hooks I see. I don't have a favorite size, but my preferred brand is Bates.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

The lion cub hat I made for a friend, only because I had to learn and utilize the loop stitch, which I've decided I don't particularly care for.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

Right now, I'm in the process of learning tunisian crochet (which I've had problems with in the past, but have now progressed) and I've dabbled in broomstick lace recently, which baffles me. Am planning on trying hairpin lace, as soon as my loom comes in the mail, so we'll see if that is going to go well or be a true baffling experience for me. (I guess we'll all know if a post shows up in the trade section for a hairpin lace loom and how to booklet, right?)

• 2 weeks later...

First thing you ever crocheted? A big long chain that went nowehere, and made nothing. I was 7 at the time. Lol.

Strangest place you have crocheted? Bathroom

Fave thing to make? Hmmm. I guess scarves because they are easy and work up quickly.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Serve meals at a homeless shelter in CT

Fave yarn? Right now, it's Lion Brand Homespun. That's subject to change though.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye, no doubt.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A shawl pattern that CrochetCatskills gave me last night. It's not that hard, I'm just a dummy. Lol.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Edging & finishing.

First thing you ever crocheted? dish cloths... that's what I started practicing with.

Strangest place you have crocheted? On the toilet. That's what you call obsessive. :lol

Fave thing to make? baby stuff and purses

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Yes. I've done afghans, and right now I'm working on preemie caps and blankets.

Fave yarn? I don't really have a favorite. Caron's Simply Soft, I guess, since that's what I seem to use the most.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? My favorite hook sizes are G H and I. Don't know why, but I use those more than any others. I'm not picky about the maker, but I like my wooden hooks better than any others.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? fingerless gloves from a vintage (1860's) pattern. It was a pain in the patootie to figure out the archaic terms.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not really, anymore. I used to have a hard time with picot stitches for some reason, but not anymore.

Good questions, btw!

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted?1/2 a blanket I think I overwhelmed myself...1st thing I completed was a heart pillow in hot pink with white ruffles.

Strangest place you have crocheted? I dont really think I have done it in too crazy of a place just at home. Maybe in the barracks in Japan.

Fave thing to make?I love to make things for babies, and Care Bears.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?I have done a whole box, and I mean BOX of hats and matching booties for a hospital

Fave yarn? Any that catches my eye.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?Bates, and size H, I use it for things that call for a different size most of the time

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?Socks

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?the heel of the socks thats as far as I got.

First thing you ever crocheted? :hook Pillow

Strangest place you have crocheted? On the Floor :think

Fave thing to make? Shawls

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Red Scarf Project / Scarves

Fave yarn? Caron's Simply Soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Size N,G,F,I / Boye

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Stuffed Animal

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? There's always something, but it's great places like these that get you through it. :manyheart

My aunt taught me to do Granny Squares when I was 5. Then we sewed tehm together to make a small Lapghan

Bathtub.

Fave thing to make?

I love making Ripple Afghans.

Yes, Animals, Toys and Afghans for our local Fire Station for them to hand out to victims of fire or accidents. They use the toys to help calm and sooth small children.

Fave yarn?

Probably any that I'm using at the time. I always fall in love with what I'm working with

Boye but no fav size

Christining Gown

Can't read graphs for nothing!

First thing you ever crocheted? Baby blanket, alternating rows of single and double

Strangest place you have crocheted? Bus shelter in the rain

Fave thing to make? Don't have one yet. but I really like broomstick lace

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Sort of. Not for a specific charity, but I make infant and preemie items to donate to the hospital where my son was born

Fave yarn? Homespun or boucle

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I like them all, just depnds on what i am doing and what fiber I am working with

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Thread crochet baby bonnet, but now that I know that pattern I love it and have made more

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Not yet, but I am very persistent when I want something to work!

• 2 weeks later...

1. First thing you ever crocheted?
  2. Strangest place you have crocheted?
  3. Fave thing to make?
  4. Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?
  5. Fave yarn?
  6. Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?
  7. Hardest thing you ever crocheted?
  8. Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

1a. The first thing I ever crocheted is the amazing winged afghan.

2a. A hotel room in Salt Lake City because I was so out of sorts that I *needed* to do something and I chose crochet. OK, it's not all that strange but it was unusual for me since I had to go out and buy a hook & yarn to do it.

3a. Square thing - particularly with Tunisian stitches.

4a. I've not done any charity work but would like to at some point.

5a. Favorite yarn is a tossup .. but it would be Cascade 220 and plain cotton.

6a. I really like the Bates hooks much better than the Boye and my favorite is probably a G size.

7a. Hardest .. anything circular.

8a. Circles and Granny Squares stump the heck out of me.

Answers to questions

First thing you ever crocheted? Scarf

Strangest place you have crocheted? When I was getting my leg tattooed, and though not really strange, but I've been known to take my crochet in the restaurants with me.

Fave thing to make? If I had to choose I'd say Paradise Doll Outfits or afghans.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I have donated afghans and small items to needy children's Xmas parties for gifts

Fave yarn? anything that is a shade of purple

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye, size H or I

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Not really hard, but very time consuming, the San Francisco Frock I won best of show for.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Haven't found anything yet, but still have a lot of years left in me to find something.

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

A baby afghan for my son (when I was still pregnant). It was terrible!

I haven't crocheted any strange places--yet!

Fave thing to make?

I love making 6'' granny squares--hate hiding ends and sewing them together.

Do you do charity stuff?

Yes, I crochet hats, scarves, and mittens for a friend who collects them for people in the area so they can stay warm in the winter:wgrin

Fave yarn?

bernat satin

My size F Clover Soft touch hook. It is actually 4mm so I think most would actually consider it a G hook--but it says F, I swear :think

A baby afghan that had some mistakes in the pattern, which means I had to rip it apart a total of 8(!!) times, but it was worth it in the end!

There are many things, but I know I can always ask someone for help!

The biggest granny square in history. (and ugliest) I started it when I was 12 and finally ended it when I was 17 yrs old. I used every color under the sun whatever I could get my hands on... worsted weight, baby, sport etc... When I was done it was big enough for my parents king size waterbed and touched the ground on all sides ..

I crocheted in a hot tub while in labor

Fave thing to make?

Dishcloths

Do you do charity stuff?

Yes, I crochet caps, afghans, and crutch covers.

Fave yarn?

Red Heart

My size G Boye (its purple)

An angel for the tree top it was made of thread..but was a misprint and called for a size H hook, back b'fore the 'ville I didn't have any way to get help .. but finally figured out after a nice older lady at Ames overheard my conversation and explained that it had to be a misprint asked me the thread size and recommended a steel hook size 8. I had a minor problems here and there but finally got it done.

Any pattern that says not to join the previous row (in a circle) I always end up joining it or else I can't find my start point (even when using a marker) I swear it seems to move.

:manyheart

Kidge

Answer these questions:

A lap blanket. I did it all in single crochet back loops only because it was the only stitch I knew and the top half was much wider than the bottom.

McDonald's Playland

Fave thing to make?

Purses

Haven't yet

Fave yarn?

I love Bernat handicrafter simply because the colours are so great

I use Bates hooks and I like using an I or an H they feel the best on my hands and aren't too cumbersome.

Sitting Pretty Dress by Coats and Clark

The evil bullion stitch

First thing you ever crocheted? Brown and yellow granny square

Strangest place you have crocheted? walking up and down the halls at my kids' school (hall monitor)

Fave thing to make? right now, purses. Tomorrow, who knows?

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Preemie hats/caps, baby blankets

Fave yarn? I have to say plain old red Heart

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Aluminum, J

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?thread bookmarks( too tiny)

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? why I can't stop?!!!!!!!

First thing you ever crocheted? A yarn Christmas doily, for my mom

Strangest place you have crocheted? Everywhere!

Fave thing to make? Christmas ornaments

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet, plan to tho!

Fave yarn? TLC Lustre right now.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye any size

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? anything stuffed, not so good at sewing it together

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? nope

Answer these questions:

A potholder straight out of the "Learn How book"

CCU intensive care unit while DH was there for a week. He'd act up if I wasn't around. :lol - A cardiac surgeon/fellow said I "Was very talented and would make a great surgeon", while one of the nurses called me "Madame DeFarge" (out of A Tale of 2 Cities, the lady who knitted by the guillotine). :P They all loved their afghans. :lol

Fave thing to make?

Afghans

Afghans mainly. Also scarves and if I ever learn to knit, hats.

Fave yarn?

Wool-ease. Love the stuff, can't always afford it. I use Red Heart Supersavers the most, however.

My handcarved wooden hook size N - Jatoba wood, from Turn of the Century. I also have a set of aluminum and plastic hooks as well.

Doilies.

Not really, but I've been hooking :P for 25 years.

First thing you ever crocheted? Afghan

Strangest place you have crocheted? Baseball Game

Fave thing to make? Afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Crochet for Hospice, Chemo Caps for Premies, anything for the "ville" members, just ask!!

Fave yarn? Staple Yarn: Caron's Simply Soft / Novelty: Barroco

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Aluminum, H, Boye

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Sweater, I am still learning how to make clothing, so sweaters are hard for me. I can do hats, scarves, wraps, shawls, halters, leggings, wristlets, Ballet skirts & shrugs, etc., but multi piece items I really have to consentrate on.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Some of the slang used here at the "Ville", i.e. frogging, CAL etc.

Answer these questions:

a blanket for my sisters puppy

subway station/work

Fave thing to make?

ripple blankets/afghans

not yet

Fave yarn?

so far bernat softee chunky

boye h

dollies...using thread

how ppl come up with freeform patterns...i need stuff written down...

A wrap around for my mother, it actually came out perfect, the second was a scarf that came out horribly crooked.

LOL the bathroom!!!

Fave thing to make?

Squares right now.

not yet, would like to though someday

Fave yarn?

Worsted

Alluminum H hook Boye

anything with Thread.

THREAD!! I love it, but can't use it, my fingers just can't handle such small needle and thread.........i wish i could some of the angels i have seen in thread are just GORGEOUS!! And my mother is always bugging me for doilies!!

A very simple scarf (blue, shell-pattern) for my sister - and she did wear it!

History class, elementary school...

Fave thing to make?

Doilies and edgings

Fave yarn?

Brand doesn't matter - but it must be 100% natural. Otherwise, I really love thread, the finer the better - #60-100!

Inox, steel, 0.6 (European size)

A very complicated doily, with a vintage pattern - thousands of picots and roses.

Posting photos to this website. Perhaps I should get a camera...:think

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Answer these questions:

potholder

Jimmy Buffet concert!

Fave thing to make?

Dolls& baby stuff

toys for tots and baby clothes

Fave yarn?

All of it!:devil

H Bates

king size afghan!

not really

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? An afghan for my niece

Strangest place you have crocheted? At work..SHHHHH!

Fave thing to make? Ripple afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Starting to do charity squares

Fave yarn? I'm into varigated and I recieved a homespun scaf that has me in a tizzy

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye size H

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? A X-mas tree ornament

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Decrease

Archived