Get To Know You - Crochet Questions - Part 1

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? Mesh vest in about 1969. I didn't do

the front correctly, so Millie, who was teaching me to crochet, did it up

before my eyes, said "see?" and then proceeded to rip it all out and

made me do it myself!!!!! :eek

Strangest place you have crocheted? In a canoe! :think

Fave thing to make? Afghans. :c9

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Yes, baby blankets, hats, sweater sets. :hug

Fave yarn? something soft; current favorite is Bernat Softee Chunky.:yay

Am doing an afghan for my nephew's wedding...:manyheart

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Size H, aluminum, Bates :yes

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Don't remember. Must have blocked it out completely! :(

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? LOL, I cannot finish a simple ripple afghan - I get so far on it and just get sick of it! Mental block or something.... :devil

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? The first thing I made was a freakishly long chain that I was incredibly proud of. :) After that I made tons of green and yellow granny squares. They are over 25 years old, but my mom still uses some of them as doilies under her houseplants and such.

Strangest place you have crocheted? At a boy scout camp out. It was freezing though, and my metal hook got really cold.

Fave thing to make? hats, at the moment

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I've just started some baby items for a local shelter.

Fave yarn? I'm currently partial to Caron Simply Soft

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I use the H and I a lot, but I don't think I have a particular favorite.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? It was a red, white, and blue patriotic themed afghan. I had to work in the sides of my single crochets and it was a pain.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I can't seem to get the filet crochet thing down. My patterns always come out crooked.

First thing you ever crocheted?

Granny Square, the stitches were so tight I could hardly get the hook back through them!:blush

Strangest place you have crocheted?

In my car

Fave thing to make?

Today? Baby blankets...

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what?

Whatever strikes my fancy... kid charities, babies

Fave yarn?

Cotton WW

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates?

Hmmm.... I think its my "K" hook, Boye

Hardest thing you ever crocheted?

Nothing too hard yet... working on my first stuffed animal

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you?

Keeping rows of DC straight... I can keep single and hdc straight, but the dc goes everywhich way on the ends...:blush

A scarf for my mom, it turned out pretty good.

probably in the car or while sitting in a waiting room at the hospital

Fave thing to make?

afghans

Haven't yet

Fave yarn?

Caron Simply Soft

I like Boye size I

My first afghan so far, I just started 63 squares

Thread crochet

• 1 month later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? A Mile-A-Minute afghan(ambitious, I know, for one who had never, ever even touched a hook)

Strangest place you have crocheted? at work during the kid's naptime. Strange because it's dark in the room, so I have to hover in the stream of light coming from the window on the door

Fave thing to make? Afghans :-) I just love to cuddle in them, and everyone loves to get them

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I do Project Linus stuff, I've crocheted blankets for troops, and I crochet baby blankets for our women's shelter

Fave yarn? Coats & Clarke

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Aluminum Boye I-Hook

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? a poncho for my sister. One of my first projects. I think I just made it harder than it was, somehow

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I'll never figure out how increasing and decreasing actually creates ripples in ripple afghans. When you first start out making a ripple afghan, it looks like it's going to be a twisted, jumbled mess, yet as you continue working it all comes out beautifully.

• 1 month later...

An afghan- I did it in sc since that was the only stitch I knew. Halfway through the thing, I discovered you have to crochet BOTH loops on the stitch, so I changed to do that. Then I learned increasing when my afghan grew twice the size I started (I worked the last stitch twice) and so I learned decreasing. That "thing" took 3 years to finish and looked like a diamond- I donated it.

On my kayak, while on the lake. It was really calm, I had some old Red Heart and a hook in my purse, so I just took a break... :manyheart

Fave thing to make?

I like purses or bags and baby stuff

I tend to make things and if I dont have a person in mind or within 3 months, I donate it.

Fave yarn?

Bernat eyelash yarn to make fuzzy flip flops (LUV IT) and I want to try the Lion Brand chenille yarn

Boyle! I like G but I keep losing it!!:eek

A parrot pencil topper- it came out the size of the pencil, odd colors, it was BAD! :devil

Making socks.... I think I use the wrong weight of yarn, my gauge is off BIG TIME! Putting snaps onto clothing. Mine are always off and my boyfriend puts them on backwards!

First thing you ever crocheted? A cell phone cozy from a kit for kids I bought at Kmart for $7.00

Strangest place you have crocheted? In line, today, at the customer service desk at Walmart.

Fave thing to make? So far, ripple afghans are my favorite patterns.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Not yet, but I will!

Fave yarn? I like working with Caron Simply Soft - it's nice to touch and affordable

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? My Mom's old aluminum Boye size G. It's got some weight to it and slides through the yarn like buttah.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? The stupid blankety-blank diagonal baby blanket I'm working on right now (only b/c I screwed it up and had to rip out half a skein of yarn)

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Filet crochet. Aieee!

First thing you ever crocheted? Golf Club Covers for my dad - at his request - was I insane! Brown and cream (yuck) and in the round with tassels on top. They were ugly, but he said he loved them - what a dad!

Strangest place you have crocheted? No strange places - airport, plane, bed, living room.

Fave thing to make? Anything that is quick. But, I am kind of getting into tote bags - don't know why - have a ton of them, but always want more.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Only for RAOK's. Hopefully, next year I can send some squares when others ask for them.

Fave yarn? Simply soft, anything easy to work with.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Aluminum. Size H & G.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Fun Fur scarves - how does anyone work with that stuff to a pattern. I am doing just simple double crochet and not even trying to get the hook in the right spot, just in the space.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? How so many people make so many things so fast.

First Thing:

Stars for an afghan. I knitted :knit the afghan for a veteran friend of mine, but could not find a way to knit stars that looked good and were small enough to complete it, so I had to teach myself to crochet in order to finish the project.

Strangest Place:

My DH's deer stand. I went hunting with him, but got bored and pulled out the crochet to pass the time. No deer that day. :rud

Fave Thing:

Right now that would be granny square baby bibs. Have had to make several shower gifts, these are quick and easy, but come out so cute.

Charity Stuff:

I have done hats and scarves for the homeless shelter, prayer shawls and comfort blankets for church and nursing homes, and stuffed animals/baby dolls :teddy and slippers for the women's shelter.

Fave Yarn:

Hmmm... that is a tough one, I like it all, as one could tell by my stash! :yarn

Fave Hook:

Size-I find myself using a G an aweful lot (it is my grandmothers old aluminum hook-they don't make them like that anymore)/Brand-Boye (cheap, durable and readily available)

Hardest:

A Baby Bullion Stitch granny square. It was the first granny square I had ever made, and without looking at the difficulty level (difficult) I began. UGH!!! I had to frog :frog everything several times, but was determined to learn how to do it, and I finally did! :woo

Stump:

Nothing yet, but don't be suprised should I come asking for :help.

Edit for spelling

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? An afghan for my daughter

Strangest place you have crocheted? I guess on the freeway I was driving and was stuck in a traffic jam.

Fave thing to make? Doilies and wearables

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Yes! Baby items and cold weather items

Fave yarn? Woolease

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? My Addi turbos

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? ??? can't think of anything

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? not anymore lol

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? baby afaghan

Strangest place you have crocheted? while working at a call center

Fave thing to make? depends on my mood

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Baby things for NICU

Fave yarn? Depends on the project

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? Cant remember off the top of my head

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Just take it one stitch at a time and I seem to do ok..now knitting..that whoth things stumps me..LOL

Answer these questions:

A little aqua dress for a little mermaid McDonalds toy I got back in 1989. It even had a little button to tighten the dress when worn. I was so impressed with my stupid novice self.

At the mall.

Fave thing to make?

Afghans

Yeah, I'm donating some afghans to the needy, hats and chemo scarves to chemo patients, and hats/mittens/scarves for the needy.

Fave yarn?

For afghans it's Red Heart SS, for other stuff ...idk?

Bates. Boye has that weird pointy oval tip that I hate. Bates has the tubey tip. As for fav size, i guess I used a J for almost everything for a long time, now I stick with the H for everything.

IDK. I seem to think crochet is easy and blah because I feel I've mastered it. Only knitting things stump me now (but they are running out of things to stump me with)

How to properly end off the yarn. I tie knots, and I think it's great, but it is frowned upon, right?

First thing you ever crocheted? well, i started a blanket when i was 10, but i never finished it because it got lost and i suppose somehow got thrown away. The first thing i finished was an afghan i made for my grandma

Strangest place you have crocheted? My sister's tennis match

Fave thing to make? afghans

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? Kinda, I'm making squares and such for some people to put together.

Fave yarn? red heart plush at the moment

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Boye size I

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? reading patterns in general lol. I'm not very good at it.

oops, I put my answers inside the quote. better next time!!

Answer these questions:

A square that became an oval....I was in 4th grade and didn't want to count, and knew that you could skip stitches...I just somehow forgot to add chains for the skips....!!! Wonder if I could still find that.:think

When I got back to it in college, 10 years ago, I started with an afghan:lol

I've taken it camping....in the van...

Fave thing to make?

Whatever I'm in the mood for. But it has to be cute!

Yes. Preemie outfits, not just the hats...

Fave yarn?

Sport weight. I really enjoy one called Pitter Patter, by Yarn Bee (a made for Hobby Lobby yarn). It is incredibly soft, and washes remarkably well. (the top I made for me still looks new, and it's two summers old)

Bamboo. All sizes. (Steel, 6-8) Boye, all the way. I'd love to get my hands on some hand carved, or rosewood though.

A poorly written felted slipper pattern. I had to rewrite the whole thing to make sense of it. (not a self-published on line one, but in a LYS)

Not yet. There's stuff I haven't tried, or don't like how it's looked when I tried...like bullion st. I think I generally qualify as experienced, though.

edited 2-22-2005 to clarify post title

So, who's next:manyheart

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? An oval placemat-type thing from "rags" that my grandma had. Learned double-crochet (American defn), how to increase, how to go around the end -> all in one project. My mom still has it, on the back of one of her kitchen chairs!

Strangest place you have crocheted? Mostly regular places - car, appointments, watching soccer games (indoors was most comfy!), watching tv, on balcony in mornings, etc. However, am banned by DS from taking crochet bag into movies.

Fave thing to make? Anything that will actually get used.

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? I'd like to, especially if I can find one nearby. So, have started some caps for the WUA group, and seriously considered the Vests for Afghan Kids.

Fave yarn? Whatever works for the project at hand. Least favorite -> plastic bag yarn (although maybe was using wrong size hook).

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? Aluminum 4.00mm (for yarn) or 2mm (for thread - okay, I'm partial to sz 10 rather than the smaller stuff, mostly 'caue it's cheaper and readily available!). Several of my older/favourite hooks are Tailorform (haven't seen these many places recently) and the small ones might be Millward/Disc. The ones purchased most recently were Boye (can never seem to have too many 4.00/G hooks!) and there's not much choice for bigger than 6mm around here.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? the tablecloth that I started while we were waiting for our first house (it was two weeks late), 'way back in 1988. It was so hard I put it away a loonngg time ago. It was a kit from Woolco, and it looked like there wouldn't be enough thread to finish it. Still hiding out at the bottom of the UFO pile.

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? Now that I've gotten to being okay with doing things without a written pattern, not too much. More like what isn't my favourite part of a project - i.e. assembling pieces...

A single crochet scarf.

At a baseball game (Stitch and Pitch night at the Seattle Mariner's game)

Fave thing to make?

Bags, also kid's clothing because it can be so fun and more outrageous than something an adult can wear

I am currently working on baby hats for Caps to the Capital

Fave yarn?

Too many, right now it would have to be baby alpaca, and Malabrigo

Wonderful Wood hook in size L from Shangri-La Crafts, also Clover Soft Touch Hooks

baby sweater in a super fine yarn and had to change colors every 5 stitches. It is still a WIP.

Still trying to figure out the bullion stitch, but haven't really been practicing. I have yet to complete one successfully

Stormy

A whisk broom cover made of Aunt Lydia's blue rug yarn (circa 1965). I loved to help mom clean house by using with that little broom! :lol

At a football game. It was a brand new stadium and the lighting was great. I could see as if it were daylight (although it was night). People were fascinated by it.

Fave thing to make?

I like quick and easy things (short attention span, I guess) but I also really like doilies.

I did chemo caps last October for Breast Cancer Awareness month and Warm Up America squares.

Fave yarn?

I like Lion Brand Microspun for its yummy colors, great drape and feel, and I like cotton.

As we used to say, "I'm a Boye girl". :D My favorite size is an H.

I made a lovely doily one time that had Irish crochet roses in the center, with openwork surrounding, then pleating and more openwork and an intricate border. I did it in three colors, rose, sage and cream. It was very challenging, but it is so beautiful. I won a best of show on it in our county fair.

I cannot do bullion stitches. I'm also not too good at the math necessary to begin a project from scratch or when using a sample stitch from the stitch dictionary.

Answer these questions:

I'll start with my recent endevors and not the stuff I tried to make as a kid. The first FO was a granny square lap quilt.

I don't venture out the house with my crochet, so no strange places.

Fave thing to make?

I like making afghans but they take a while.

I just started with the charities. So far the majority of the stuff on my list are scarves. There is one afghan.

Fave yarn?

I am partial to Utopia WW.

Bates all the way. I really don't like Boye. I like size H for most things.

I haven't challenged myself yet. I think my upcoming Fat Bottom bag will be the hardest thing.

There is a lot that stumps me. Many of the advanced stitches.

Answer these questions:

First thing you ever crocheted? a mesh vest

Strangest place you have crocheted? church: while most of the church was in Sunday school I would find an unoccupied corner and crochet there.

Fave thing to make? I prefer afghans; I like to build roses

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? my WILD ROSE afghan will be donated to PROJECT LINUS.

Fave yarn? not much experience here but I have pretty good luck with Red Heart and Caron's simply soft.

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? I keep a Bates "H" hook in the pencil pocket of my overalls most of the time.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? I made(designed) an afghan from six inch hexagons. I built several different flowers on some of the hexagons. it was big enough to cover the top of a "california king" sized water bed. (it is somewhere in Texas)

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? one must be VERY carful when reading patterns. while I enjoy the challenge, there is definately a difference in style in the writing of various patterns. this doesn't necessarily "completely stump" me but it does slow me down and I have built items in the wrong pattern becuse of my mis-understanding. no real damage done.

paah-paah

A blanket for my infant daughter (she is almost 7 now and still sleeps with it :) )

Only crochet at home or in the car on long trips

Fave thing to make?

Anything for my children or husband

Just recently started with charities...mostly scarves and baby blankets

Fave yarn?

Anything soft

Bates...use H for most projects

A hat for my son..was the first one i did and took me 3 tries to get it right

Not yet..just starting to learn the more detailed stitches

A scarf for myself

I crochet everywhere. I drive my family crazy. We went to an amusement park late last spring and I wasn't feeling well and couldn't ride the rides so when my family was waiting in lines, I would go off to a bench and crochet. They were completely embarrassed. LOL

Fave thing to make?

I like making cotton kitchen towels and anything that can be crocheted quickly. I made a little purse a week ago and that is my current favorite item I crocheted.

Yes, I started a crochet club for the girls I teach and our first project was to raise money for a local children's hospital by making kitchen towels which we then sold.

Fave yarn?

I love cotton. I really love the Bernat Cottontots. It's so soft. I hate the feel of traditional old fashion acrylics like Red Heart. I like blends or really soft acrylics that you wouldn't guess they are acrylic.

I just stumbled onto Red Heart Plastic hooks. I never thought I would like them but I love that that slide so much better than my Boye aluminum hooks.

I started a Hexagonal "granny square" throw back in June that I am still working on. It's not so much hard as it is time consuming and I'm a perfectionist.

At times, I'm completely stumped by certain patterns but I keep working and usually after WIPing it many times figure it out.

Hmmm, the first thing I ever crochet was a potholder. I wanted to learn the basic stitches but still make something I could USE. I wanted some red & green potholders to hang in the kitchen during Christmas, so I held two strands of kitchen cotton together and used a K hook. They were ugly but functional!

I don't know if any place I've crochet could be considered "strange," but I definitely crochet everywhere -- at home, in the car, at work, while waiting at the doctor's office, at the movies (once I got the hang of crocheting in the dark), at the beach, on planes, the list goes on and on...

Fave thing to make?

I LOVE finding new patterns, so may favorite thing is something new to experiment!! I think what I make most often are baby sweater/hat/bootie sets. I have fun experimenting with various color combinations for the baby sets.

I'm involved with an online charity group called All Crafts 4 Charity that chooses a different charity each month to work with. I've done everything from making helmet liners for the troops to slippers for elders on reservations to preemie sized burial layettes for hospitals across the country. Our current charity is Teddies for Tragedies, and we are making knit and crochet teddy bears that are sent to children in orphanages, refugee camps, etc. around the world. I would say 90% of my crocheting is for charity, and I LOVE it!

Fave yarn?

I love Caron Simply Soft just because it's so soft, comes in a wide array of beautiful colors, and is inexpensive enough to make my charity crafting possible. I've been terribly allergic to wool my entire life, but over the past year the sensitivity has completely gone away! I don't know why, but I'm certainly enjoying the fun of trying out wonderful wool yarn for a change!

I love my 6-pack of Bates aluminum hooks. I think my H hook gets the most use!

Hmmm, I usually pick pretty simple projects. I know the project that took me the LONGEST was an afghan that I made for an elderly gentleman that is one of my husband's "regular" patients. It wasn't all that hard, just very time consuming!

I'm not one for "fancy" stitches. I have to read a pattern two or three times to do much more than a basic shell or V-stitch.

First thing you ever crocheted? A wild yak-yak hand puppet :yes:laughroll:rofl But I was learning on that so I could make a baby sacque and booties for my baby when I was pregnant (back then, you couldn't find out whether it was boy or girl). Made it in white baby yarn.

Strangest place you have crocheted? not very strange, but public transit

Fave thing to make? filet crochet

Do you do charity stuff? If so, what? No, but I'll be looking into it.

Fave yarn? knit cro-sheen and anything pretty

Fave hook? Size? Boye or Bates? whatever is required for project I want to make. Boye or Bates? I have both but couldn't tell you which one is which.

Hardest thing you ever crocheted? an angel I'm working on now

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? haven't found anything yet

Thanks for the chance to tell you more about me! We all love to talk about ourselves! I'll be looking to learn about you, too!

Hm, I dont' remember exactly what I crocheted when I was little, but when I picked it up again I crocheted afghans.

In my car while waiting in traffic for our local swing bridge to open and close!

Fave thing to make?

New clothing to wear

Not yet!

Fave yarn?

Paton's Grace

Don't have a favorite!

So far the only hard things for me involve poorly written patterns - or things that take forever - I'm impatient!

Is there anything about crochet that completely stumps you? I haven't gotten the hang of tunisian crochet, hairpin lace, or freeform crochet yet. But I'm determined to play with these more until I can get them!

I had made a little granny square

In a bathroom away from everyone so I could concentrate on what I was doing!

Fave thing to make?

afghans

little hats

Fave yarn?

Red heart or Carron

Fave hook? Size? Boyles or Bates?

Bates size G or H

a cabbage patch kid gown

Some patterns that are suppose to be easy and they are not easy at all! :(

Archived