Comfortghan request - best friend's house burnt down!

b1jah2

On Thanksgiving day, my best friend was across the street at her fiance's parent's house cooking dinner. She said she looked up across to her house and the whole one side was up in flames. They lost everything. She lost her wedding ring, all of her photo albums (which were actually scrapbooks she had invested many, many hours in), and all the rest of her possessions. They were only able to grab a couple pairs of pants and her purse from the very inside door next to the laundry room. My friend and her fiance are living with his parents now because of the fire. They just bought land to build their first house together and are planning to get married in May, but with this disaster, they are not sure if these things will be able to go on. I was hoping to send her something really special and I think a loving made comfortghan would do the trick. I was thinking maybe squares in tan/cream/white/etc.

I was thinking 12" squares! If you would like to contribute (which would be greatly appreciated!) please PM me so I can send you my mailing address! Thanks so much!!!

Am so sorry to hear your friend had the fire, thankfully they are all right. I hope they had insurance? Also, how nice to have the parents right across the street and a place to live and keep an eye on things as the rebuilding or whatever starts.

Now for the really dumb question, (just joined this forum before work so am not really up to speed yet on some of the terms you all are using. Is a Comfortghan, just an afghan made by people who care for people in need?

Sorry for the double post, this thought just entered my head after I made the other post. Noticed you live in Wisconsin so therefore, thats where your best friends lives? It's cold in Wisconsin, would scarfs for she and the boyfriend, or hats be something they might both be in need of?

You are exactly right on the comfortghan....at least that is how I look at them! Yep, we are all from Wisconsin. Currently it is 11 degrees!!!! Scarves and hats would be very useful, I'm sure, as they did lose everything! If you would like to send some squares for the ghan, or anything, PM me for my mailing address! I will be posting thank yous and pictures of the wonderful gifts for my friends on my blog!

Thanks to everyone who has been so willing to help out! I can't wait to send the package! They are going to be so grateful to you all!!!

Am so sorry to hear your friend had the fire, thankfully they are all right. I hope they had insurance? Also, how nice to have the parents right across the street and a place to live and keep an eye on things as the rebuilding or whatever starts.

Now for the really dumb question, (just joined this forum before work so am not really up to speed yet on some of the terms you all are using. Is a Comfortghan, just an afghan made by people who care for people in need?

Here's my regular email, schcrochet@aol.com please send me your address. I would be happy to send items to help. I think I already have a scarf made that doesn't have anyone's name on that I'd be happy to forward, and some can probably fine some yarn in my bag the right colors for 12 inch squares. I will also ask a couple of my fellow stitchers at work if they'd like to make a square or two.

I have sent you an e-mail!

Here's my regular email, schcrochet@aol.com please send me your address. I would be happy to send items to help. I think I already have a scarf made that doesn't have anyone's name on that I'd be happy to forward, and some can probably fine some yarn in my bag the right colors for 12 inch squares. I will also ask a couple of my fellow stitchers at work if they'd like to make a square or two.

i would like to help too! I don't know how many i can make, but I'm sure it would be fun! I've never made an afgan with squares before, ... this is a dumb question, but should they be fancy? I can do the basic stitches, and I can read patterns. I even made a baby sweater just the other day, and it actually looks like a sweater! (Can you tell I've recently learned to crochet?) If someone knows a good square afgan pattern, send it my way and I'll make some for you!

Here's a link for a ton of 12" square patterns. You get to choose which one you like best:) If you would like to help out on the comfortghan for my friend who had her house burn down, pm me and I will send you my mailing addy!

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/12in_squares.php

i would like to help too! I don't know how many i can make, but I'm sure it would be fun! I've never made an afgan with squares before, ... this is a dumb question, but should they be fancy? I can do the basic stitches, and I can read patterns. I even made a baby sweater just the other day, and it actually looks like a sweater! (Can you tell I've recently learned to crochet?) If someone knows a good square afgan pattern, send it my way and I'll make some for you!

You are exactly right on the comfortghan....at least that is how I look at them! Yep, we are all from Wisconsin. Currently it is 11 degrees!!!! Scarves and hats would be very useful, I'm sure, as they did lose everything! If you would like to send some squares for the ghan, or anything, PM me for my mailing address! I will be posting thank yous and pictures of the wonderful gifts for my friends on my blog!

Thanks to everyone who has been so willing to help out! I can't wait to send the package! They are going to be so grateful to you all!!!

--------

I'm PMing you, ditz here click the wrong button and deleted your message before I could read it. :eek

A thank you goes out to yarnaholic! :ty I received the white square you sent for the comfortghan. It is beautiful! Once I finish my squares for it, I will be posting pictures of the comfortghan on my blog!

Thanks again!

No prob at all, Jennifer! Just glad I could help. I used the super easy super nova square design that I found online. If you're short a few squares, just let me know and I can whip up a couple more! :hook

How big do you plan to make it? 3 strips of 4 squares? Larger, smaller?

I am waiting to see how many squares I receive and can make! My original thoughts were around 5 squares by 4 squares, but my hopes are to have this done by the new year, so it might have to be smaller! We will see though! Any extra squares would definitely be appreciated! With school and work, I have had time to make only four squares! I have a long way to go!!!!

Enough said. I just got some cream/aran colored yarn at a sale. I'll crochet another white and one aran/cream square and mail 'em off to you Monday morning. I know how school is, I'm a grad student myself. Just glad I can help you. I'll send it priority mail to help you have enough squares to finish it up for the new year. Happy Holidays! :yay

Thank you so much! I love this place, everyone is so kind! Another special thank you goes out to Paula (busybee) I received your squares today! Thanks so much, they are beautiful as well!

Jennifer,

Sounds like the squares are piling up! :clap Another batch of squares (the two I promised) went out on Monday afternoon. I hope you get them before the week is out and you're more than welcome. I agree, this place is full of warm and very helpful women! :hug

Thank you once again to Anna and also to Celest Young. I received your squares today. I was gone all last week back home for my grandfather's funeral, so I apologize for the delay in thanks and also this short of a reply. Once my life calms down again, I will be putting the afghan together and will be posting pictures on my blog.

Sorry to be so long, time and me aren't the best of friends right now, However, just addressed the box and will be heading to post office shortly. I've including a scarf I completed that didn't have a name attached, pretty red crocheted one, hope it's of help and a off white/ecru ?? granny square. Hope I'm not to late to help.

Also sorry to hear about your family's death, my condolences to you.:hug

Crochetville Crochet Alongs...

63 squares crochet along...working only 42 of the squares... (3 squares left!)

35 squares crochet along...will start as soon as the 42 squares are complete!

I'm confused, can someone explain to me the 63, 42, 35. Are we working on more than one afghan here and are more squares needed? I knew about the house burning and we're doing 12 inch squares for that afghan, but am confused what else is referenced above.

**in a general note, the 12 inches squares are almost too big to use up left overs, wondered if in the future we might be ahead to make 5 or 6 inches squares? Would folks be more inclinded to do those because they take less time and use less yarn. I found the 12 inch one really required a new skein, not complaining, just asking.

Archived