Howdie from NE Washington State

jimbo

Welcome Jim from Oregon, I love the looks of your hooks and your story. So nice to make something with your memories isn't it. As others have posted I would be interested in seeing more of your hooks.

Mary

Thanks! I hope to make lots more. In fact i'm thinking of doing a macro (if my camera will cooperate) of the hook head style I do, and seek comments and suggestions for improvements.

I met a crochetier on Craigslist who lives in Portland. She also makes custome clothing and is VERY knowledgable about yarns and such. You might like to check out her site... http://www.carlyjayne.com

She has some of my hooks and has been just incredible in her support and encouragement to keep making them.

Thanks again for being so nice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi and welcome from Australia! I would love to buy one of your hooks its obviously a lot of love people can feel in them by the sounds of it.

Wow!! Clear from Australia! I'm awstruck!

And i'd love to sell you a hook! (can't seem go get away from exclamation marks... but i'm so dang impressed!..oops there i go again. And you're right, i have a fondness for trees and the wood i work with. Its just amazing stuff; not that i don't cut them down now and then, and i love a wood fire, but there's such nobility there. Wierd huh.

Anyway, thanks for writing, and email me would you please?

Ha!! Thats EXACTLY what i do... hold the stick and decide which way lays best. But its best to know if you're a pencil holder (overhand) or a toothbrush holder (underhand). I'm told by the venerable MissieJ (we GOTTA get her to register here) that the overhand is the old style and underhand is the modern style. I'd like to take a poll here to see how the crochetiers here hold theirs. In my experience so far its about 50-50. How do you hold YOURS? I need to know you know.

That's a good point Jimbo. (It's hard not to write Patman. :P) Put me down as an overhander. I'm all for doing whatever is most comfortable for you when crocheting but underhand always looks so awkward to me.

That's interesting about what MissieJ said. Tell her I said she should register here. If that worked on you then maybe it'll work on her too. I'll even add, "Pretty please with sugar on top" just for her. :D

Cheers!

Hello Jim!! :welcome to Crochetville from an American living in Belgium! Glad to have you join us!! :ghug Must say that your hooks look awesome! I'd offer to send you some wood from here, but I must confess that I don't even know what kind of trees we have here! :blush

Hi, Welcome from Newfoundland! I am new here too!

Hi Newfie! I'm sorry i didn't write back earlier... i fully intended to especially because you are from one of the most beautiful places in the world. And that we are able to make contact like this, me here in Spokane Washington, and you in Newfoundland just blows me away. I'd love to see some of your work and your surroundings. Its not too hard to post pictures here.. i use photobucket and its fairly easy to use, especially with Julie's little tutorial.

Man this place is so incredible!

Hello Jim!! :welcome to Crochetville from an American living in Belgium! Glad to have you join us!! :ghug Must say that your hooks look awesome! I'd offer to send you some wood from here, but I must confess that I don't even know what kind of trees we have here! :blush

Hi Kimberlee

This is jus so amazing to me; writing to folks from all over the world. Boy would i love to get some sticks from Europe. One species that i think would be terrific hook material is Beech. Beech is used for lots of tools, like wooden hand planes and such. I bet it would make fantastic hooks, and the branch wood of almost any tree seems to be just a little more ductile than the trunk, i suppose that's because branches are tested in winds, rain and snowfall more so than the trunks.

Tell you what. You send me some beech sticks, and i'll make you a hook. Good trade?

And thank you for the warm welcome!

:welcomeWelcome from Ga - Ning

Hi Ning!

From Georgia! I actually have a hook owner in Georgia. Jessica Pierce (spidercamp.com).... i wonder if you might know her. She's a crochetier and a wonderful writer.

Thanks for the welcome Ning... i like your innovative style and hope you're doing well as a pro!

Love your sister's rug. I know it means alot to you. Let her know she did a great job, well im sure you already have..:cheer Sorry taking me so long in getting back to you. The list of christmas things still to make have me a little busy here. :hook

Love your sister's rug. I know it means alot to you. Let her know she did a great job, well im sure you already have..:cheer Sorry taking me so long in getting back to you. The list of christmas things still to make have me a little busy here. :hook

Me too Busybee... i like to make as many gifts as i can, and i'm running out of ideas. But then i decided to do some accent mirrors, in a kind of craftsman style. Hope they're appreciated. And, of course hooks.

Hello and Welcome from Maine:yay

Thanks for the welcome Mseavy. And you....You've got to be a saint, especially with a 13 year old in the house.

I was reading your ideas on different hooks for how you crochet. This is very interesting. I tend to hold mylike a knife, overhand I guess, and tend to grip fairly tight( I really get into it, lol). This causes a cramping in my forearm and some hand pain. Any ideas on what type of hook would be best for me? I LOVE your hooks btw!

I was reading your ideas on different hooks for how you crochet. This is very interesting. I tend to hold mylike a knife, overhand I guess, and tend to grip fairly tight( I really get into it, lol). This causes a cramping in my forearm and some hand pain. Any ideas on what type of hook would be best for me? I LOVE your hooks btw!

Very interesting you should ask, Cruella. I was just talking with a customer last night, who holds the hook i sold her just like you do, with forefinger forward (like holding a steak knife) but with the bowl facing down. The hook i made her (wish i had a photo) has a bend, and a little depression for the pad of her forefinger. She absolutely loves it that way. And what's amazing to me is that i didn't know she held her hooks with the bowl facing down, so I carved the hook with the bend in the opposite direction. So I learned that a little bit of an elbow or "dog's leg" in a hook can be a very good ergonomic thing, depending of course on the individual grip. I also learned that simply asking folks if they grip overhand or underhand might not be enough. It would be best, i think, if i could get one or more pictures of the customer's hand holding a hook, to best "fit" the stick shape to the grip, even before i start whittling.

Care to post a picture of your hand gripping a hook?

And thanks for your interest!!

• 5 years later...

Archived