Howdie from NE Washington State

jimbo

Years ago my sis and I lived on a ranch up in the mountains of northern Washington State. We both loved the place dearly and were heart broken when our dad became ill and the place had to be sold. Since then it's been my life's dream to get the place back. Dreams do come true, and a few years back I was able to buy 30 acres of the ranch back.

What's that to do with crochet? Well back in the olden days my sis and I used to play around an old apple tree on a slope behind our cabin. Now years later, the cabin is gone but the tree is still there. Also, my sis lives in California and isn't really well enough to come back home much, so on birthdays and other occasions that warrant a gift, I try to make her something that originated from the ranch. I've done picture frames from shingles salvaged from the cabin, tealight candle holders from small aspens that grow on the ranch, and finally, crochet hooks from dead branches donated by the old apple tree.

Well, the crochet hooks turned out to be really special because every time she uses them, she's holding a sacred little piece of the ranch, in addition to something I made with my hands. But it has turned out to be more than just a nostalgic sort of thing... the hooks really work well. So I made more and found that other folks (who aren't quite so biased) marvel at their feel.

I was drawn to this forum by a nice person in the Craigslist craft forum who suggested that i join here.

So, here i am. I would really appreciate any suggestions you experienced crochetiers might have to forward my craft and will enjoy reading and seeing what you are doing.

I'm pretty much a computer dummy and have yet to figure out how to post pictures of my hooks, but if someone can teach me how; i'll gladly show you my wares.

Thanks Crochetville for the opportunity to be a part of your community.

Jim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very interested in seeing your wares! I'm not the best person to direct you through the process of posting pictures, but there are a few people around here who can! You should definitely find some people interested in your hooks here, too - you may find you don't have enough wood to supply them all, lol.

Welcome to Crochetville! :)

I'm really excited about this place! EVERYONE (but me) crochets!! In Cragslist there are crochetiers, but lots of others are into many other things....and although i have made a few knitting needles, my favorite avocation right now is hooks. I'm hooked on hooks. Although i can't figure out how to post pics here yet, i can refer you to Craigslist Crafts forum where i've posted a few pictures of my hooks, some buttons i made, and the ranch where it all got started. Just go to craigslist.org. Under discussion forums click "crafts"

and search my handle "Patman". You'll have to navigate through lots of my posts to see the pictures, but if you've patience, they're there.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

:waving Jim, :welcome From Texas here, So glad you came to join us. Im so happy for you to be able to be back where you were raised. TO have all those wonderful memories around you. Im like faith I do post pic, but not sure I could explain it so you could do it. I wondered around so much it too me forever and I still have problems. But Im sure someone with a little more smarts than me will come around and help you soon. Sure hope so for our sake. I want to see those hooks too. You are very talented to as I can tell, without seeing them. From a tree tells me you are talented. Keep up the good work.:cheer

You folks amaze me. I gave a couple hooks to my brother-in-law's wife over the holiday. She can crochet a 3" square patch in, oh, about 10 seconds or so it seems. And carry on a conversation at the same time!

Now THATS talent. Heck it takes me all of an hour or more to make a hook and i can't talk or even hum while i'm doing it (i can listen to the radio though).

So, nah not so talented but persistent and i do really love making them.

:welcome Hi Jim and welcome from Illinois! As the previous posters, I'm not good

at posting either, but I do hope someone comes to your assistance soon as I would love to see your hooks. I love wood hooks; that's all I ever use. :hook You may be sorry that you told this place about your making them .... your 30 acres may soon

be bare of trees :heehee

Hi! I also am from a farm in Washington that my brothers and I loved dearly. I still live in Washington, but havn't been back to that farm in years. Last time I went I was saddened to see how much it had changed :( I like to remember things the way they were when I was a care free kid. :D

I am so glad you are back home, though. I would just love to acquire some of that old property that I used to explore and restore things a bit. :U

Welcome to crochetville, where you will meet the nicest bunch of people on the Earth!! :wink

Thanks Crochetcrazy and Dee. You gotta tell me where in Washington? My place is up in Ferry county, just about 30 miles south of the Canadian border. Oh i love it there. Its been my life's dream to get the place back. I'm still pinching myself.

So anyway, i registered in photobucket and here's my first attempt. Hope the link works. I'm sooooo new!

The photos show my very first hooks. I've learned some since then, and don't leave so much bark on, and make them a little straighter.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c332/deadmancrickjimbo/crochethooks.png

th_crochethooks.png

Hi Jim, Yes your pic post works, I just got back from scrolling like a mad women trying to find them.............:lol But it was well worth it as I got to see some of your other work too. Christmas light necklace, Hair sticks. SO GOOD. Your so Talented. :cheer:clap

sorry to take you through the CL maze. I know it wasn't easy cause i tried it myself and couldn't even come up with what you did. Hopefully now i can continue with the photobucket thingie and make it alot easier. I've been thinking of doing some shawl pins kind of like the hairsticks, but not sure about size or shapes.

anyway thanks for your patience and kind words.

I LOVE the hooks you made!!:manyheart I feel the need to have one of them:D

You are a very talented person!

The area I grew up in was just outside the town of Toledo. Thats about halfway between Seattle and Portland. Toledo is along the I-5 Corridor.

Ever been there?

I LOVE the hooks you made!!:manyheart I feel the need to have one of them:D

You are a very talented person!

The area I grew up in was just outside the town of Toledo. Thats about halfway between Seattle and Portland. Toledo is along the I-5 Corridor.

Ever been there?

Thanks Crochetcrazy/Rachel!

I don't recall going through Toledo but i know that's a beautiful area. Lots of really nice timber down that way. My ranch (actually its not a ranch unless you count the free range chipmunks i feed) is North of Colville. Its another purty area, but most of the time i'm stuck here in Spokane. Shoveled the driveway twice today and once at my motherinlaw's.... but its a small price to pay.

:welcome to Crochetville! I'm in SE Washington in Kennewick.

Hi Colyak! Kennewick eh? Not far away from Spokane (where i live when i'm not up on the ranch). I see you're an aluminum hooker. You ever try wood? I'd be interested in your opinion on the differences. I'd consider making aluminum (might not be so messy with all the sawdust you get with wood), but i just can't get over the beauty of wood grain. Every hook is different and its pretty exciting to see how they turn out.

Welcome to the board! :hug

Hi Kimberlina, and thanks. I bet you have some knockout hardwood branch stock down there in Tennessee! I once made a couple of hooks from branch wood i gathered in Tahoe. I'm hoping to make some from everywhere we vacation. Too bad i wasn't making hooks when we vacationed in Hawaii.. they have some interesting trees there too.

Welcome from another Washingtonian. I am in Seattle now but lived in Colville and Yakima. My brother is in the hills above Addy and nephew is on down the road at Rice. I know some of the area where the ranch is and it is beautiful country. I have not been over there for about 5 years now but not much changes in that laid back part of the country. Good luck with those hooks and you do beautiful work. Oh, and I got my start on live radio at the Colville station back in the 50's. Great little station.

Hi Jim! :hi Welcome to Crochetville!! :welcome

Those are gorgeous hooks, thanks for sharing. I fixed the links for you so they would show up, and you can read here about using Photobucket to show your pictures. :U

Archived