Good Australian online yarn stores?

perigrine

hi folks,

In my [thus far, fruitless] quest to find 8 ply red and green Christmas cotton I decided to check out online Australian stores.

I found one or two that had 8 ply, none had 'Christmas' cotton though. One had good Australia Post postage rates. (Thanks to Ebay I now know just how much it costs to post things using the pre-paid satchels, so its harder to be ripped off)

Does anyone know of good Aussie places?

Or, failing that, can anyone explain exactly how Paypal works? (though, if I never find out, I won't be able to import hooks..cotton...yarn...pattens... which won't be such a bad thing) :eek

hi folks,

Or, failing that, can anyone explain exactly how Paypal works? (though, if I never find out, I won't be able to import hooks..cotton...yarn...pattens... which won't be such a bad thing) :eek

To my knowledge there are three ways you can pay with paypal. The first and easiest is, if the seller has a paypal account, you can indicate that you wish to pay using a credit/debit card or bank account with paypal. You then enter the amount that you wish to send and it is deducted from your credit card or bank account. (You would specify who to send the money to, by the seller's Paypal user id, usually an email address.) The seller can also issue an invoice with the exact total required that you would then pay with your credit/debit card or bank account.

You can also sign up for an account and deposit money into your paypal account which will then be used for your purchases.

All of these are super secure ways to send money and they do handle currency conversion and such and I looked, they accept the Australian Dollar?. Your credit/debit card number is never given to the seller, so it is a fairly secure way to send your payment.

When I first started using Paypal, you did not even need to setup an account with Paypal in order to send payment. I do not know if this has changed or not, but signing up isn't a major deal either. They just want your billing address and email and general contact information. You can store a preferred credit card, but you don't have to.

IMHO Paypal is the way of the future and makes life easy.

The first and easiest is, if the seller has a paypal account, you can indicate that you wish to pay using a credit/debit card or bank account with paypal. You then enter the amount that you wish to send and it is deducted from your credit card or bank account.

You can also sign up for an account and deposit money into your paypal account which will then be used for your purchases.

I may just have to try this one day when I have a few spare $. It would be a huge buzz to get something [like Lion Brand Yarn] from 'overseas.' :hook

Hi Peregrine, guess what, you can buy Lionbrand yarn and yummy fiesta here: www.knittingloft.com

and some other sites with interesting yarns:

www.threadsandmore.com.au

www.yarnbarn.com.au

www.cottonfields.net.au

www.woolbaa.com.au

www.wondoflex.com.au

www.prestigeyarns.com

prestige have lots of cotton yarn

regards

barbara j

Sorry, I must be doing something wrong as the www. don't link with the sites, although I did copy the email link instructions?

barbara j

One has to type (or paste) the word they wish to link, like Crochetville, then look on the little pictures on the compose box for the picture of the earth, with the chains - InsertHyperlinkButton.gif - highlight the word (or block of text) you wish to link - click the piccy, and in the box that pops up, paste the full URL of the page you want to link to (it helps if you have the URL on your clipboard when you start). Click 'ok' and it should work. Check if it does with the "preview post' button. If not, try again.

Sorry, I must be doing something wrong as the www. don't link with the sites,

although I did copy the email link instructions?

barbara j

In order for the links to be clickable, the full url needs to be included, including the "http" part at the beginning of it. Easiest way to make sure you have the whole thing is to bring the site up on your screen, then highlight the address as displayed in your address field and copy it (either by right-clicking the mouse or using the Ctrl and C buttons on your keyboard). Then you can paste it into your message and it will be clickable automatically. Or you can give it a name and follow peregrine's instructions to embed the addy in the name (useful when it's a very long string of characters), like this:

Yarn Barn

If you hover your mouse pointer over the above, you will see the addy along the bottom of your browser screen. Do make sure, though, that there is only ONE "http" in the addy, or it will not work. The popup box for embedding links includes that by default and you will have to overwrite it if you've already got the full url copied.

That all sounded a lot more complicated than it really is, lol! Hope I haven't confused you more! There is an area on the forum where you can go and test these things out until you get it right, though. It's toward the bottom of the list on the main page and is called the Scratch Pad.

HTH

Archived