A few felting questions...

Kymberlina

I'm making some felted coin purses for my friends which calls for a specific size metal frame. I have went ahead and made one as a tester before I make the whole batch. I've already ran it thru one wash. I would like it to be a little more felted but I do not need it to shrink anymore b/c if it does it will not fit the frame. I came up with a theory that maybe if I run it thru half a wash cylcle in hot water only, I would get the aggitation I need but no shrinkage. Would this work??

Also, another question...once I get the coin purses made, would it be better to put them all in one pillowcase or should I do them each individually?

This is just my 2c, I'm not really an expert though...

About agitation only, I think it would still shrink, because when you are felting it, you are getting the pretty felted-togetherness but it shrinks at the same time. The bags will stretch a certain amount though so could you go a little smaller, and stretch it while blocking?

Are your coin purses the same colour or different colours? Fibres will felt any which way, so if thay are different colours I'd put them all in different bags to save fibres felting onto other bags and messing them up. If they are all the same, I'd put them in the same bag because there's be no contamintion in colour.

Thanks for the info guys!

I think I might wait till the purse dries and try brushing it alittle and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I might try to make the purses with a larger hook so I can run it thru the wash a few times and just hope for the best. I don't want to take a chance on it shrinking anymore b/c it's already border-line too small.

BTW, I plan on making the purses the same color. I was curious if I should throw them all in one sack because I didn't know if this would hinder the felting process or not. Thanks again. :hook

Archived