Crochet Me December 05 Swirl Sweater Wrap

KristinOmdahl

Hi everyone,

Crochet Me is publishing a pattern of mine in their December 2005 publication. It will be called the Swirl Sweater Wrap. I cannot share pictures with you yet, as Crochet Me needs to debut the pattern and pictures, first.

I made it in all natural, alpaca yarn from Peru. I used four different colors (all natural, no dyes) in complimentary shades of cream, tan, taupe and grey. The yarn kit will be available from my website once the pattern is published at Crochet Me.

Looking forward to your comments!

Best regards,

Kristin

Thank you all for your support. I posted a sneak preview photo on my website tonight. It can be seen here:

http://www.styledbykristin.com/whatsnew/2005/11/25/sneak-preview.html

Hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving weekend. Here in Michigan it is below freezing (day and night) and very snowy! Good crocheting and knitting weather for me!

Kristin

must make the sweater, it is gorgeous. can you give my some alternate yarn choices? and how big is large xlarge? 14/16? I will shop for the yarn tomorrow.

you did an amazing job. If that is you in the photo, your quite beautiful!

marlo

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/

Thank you, Marlo. Use a yarn that you feel comfortable using with the given hook size. A light worsted weight or dk would work fine. You want the stitches to be "not too tight". That is what will give you the beautiful drape. There is a gauge stated, too.

I think the sweater shown would fit a range of sizes from 10 - 14 or so. The smaller version could fit a range of sizes, too. If you wanted to go bigger or smaller than the sizes given, just add or subtract a few rounds/rows from the swirl and wedges.

I would love to see your version when its finished. Please share photos!

Kristin

I went out and found a bunch of possible (cheap) subsititutions for the yarn - most of closest were baby yarns, but if you want the alpaca, my sister just got a fabulous deal on some superfine alpaca on ebay that seems to be the same size as the yarn called for - just search for 'superfine alpaca.'

Anyway, when substituting it's good to get as close in size to the yarn you're subbing for as possible, but you can go a little thicker or thinner by adjusting your gauge.

Here's the list of possibles:

Bernat Candyland

Bernat Softee Baby

TLC Baby

Red Heart Soft Baby

Wool-ease Sport Weight

Personally, if I was to go with any from that list, I'd try the Wool-ease sport weight. It comes in colors other than pastels. :lol

Hope this helps you!

I absolutely have to make that sweater! It's beautiful. Free form crocheting is a term I'm not familiar with. The yarn you use is also one I'm unfamiliar with, is it heavy or light weight? I see the note about baby yarn, but thats soooooooooo light it confused me. Looking at the picture it looks heavy, or maybe not heavy, but regular weight, like normal knitted worsted?

I love your swirl sweater, but I would substitute the yarn too, I'm too afraid of washing those fancy wools and ending up with a sweater that felted when I didn't want it to.:eek

I would probably use a worsted weight yarn with the larger size hook, I just hope it wouldn't end up being too big, yours looks roomy through the front.

I don't have any sport weight yarn, I never use it.

In one of my previous posts, I recommended a light worsted weight yarn. I did not recommend the baby yarn. That was someone else. Besides, this yarn is alpaca, which is a luxurious, soft, natural fiber. Its gorgeous and drapes beautifully.

I hope my description has helped you. If you have any questions, please just ask.

Best regards,

Kristin

In one of my previous posts, I recommended a light worsted weight yarn. I did not recommend the baby yarn. That was someone else. Besides, this yarn is alpaca, which is a luxurious, soft, natural fiber. Its gorgeous and drapes beautifully.

I hope my description has helped you. If you have any questions, please just ask.

Best regards,

Kristin

I do see the mention of sportweight woolease type yarn, but wondered whether you thought regular woolease would be too heavy? I've also seen some very pretty plymouth brand wool yarns, which I think are a bit pricey but perhaps a bit softer to the touch than woolease??

Personal preference is a good place to start. Take a look at the gauge, and keep in mind that my yarn choice was a light worsted weight. I think that a mohair could make a beautiful lacy look. Or use a light worsted weight for a solid fabric like my sample. You could use a ribbon/tape yarn for a different effect. Or use a cotton yarn for a different look. A combination of fibers in similar shades would offer a textural design element.

Again, personal preference is key. I hope this helps.

Best of luck,

Kristin

This is my first project after Xmas! It will be a REAL stretch for me - I am more of an afghan type crocheter (mistakes don't show up as much on big, busy stuff! LOL) , but I am going to sit down and make this sweater FOR ME. I have never crocheted anything for myself and this sweater is just so gorgeous, I MUST have it!

Archived