How can i mirror this part?

YvonneN

Question

Hi all,

I am now working on a phoenix, i made the part as per below picture, but now i also need to make one mirrored. The creature's description however doesn't tell me how to do that? Is anyone able to tell me how i can mirror the stitches on this part? (or any other part for that matter)

Thanks in advance!IMG-20230512-WA0005.thumb.jpg.164597ae7afacd1c849a5640ac93c7ec.jpg

1 answer to this question

This looks like ribbing done as rows of SC done in the back loop; the rows get longer (add stitches) toward the wing tips.  It also looks like this is 2 pieces, maybe crocheted together on the left side in pink (it's very cool looking, by the way!)

This sort of ribbing is reversible typically, except something is going on to make the wing tips curl up, so you can't just make another and flip it over.

To make a mirror image of the shape-- If, for example, you started the first wing with the row on the short end which was 8 stitches, and the rows gradually increased to 16 stitches (I didn't count, just making up numbers), I'd make the next wing starting with 16 stitches and work the pattern down to 8 stitches.

If you also want the variegated color to be reversible - the only thing I can think of is to rewind the skein and start the other wing from the other end, at the same color your current wing ended with.

edited to add, if you rewind the skein to start at the other end, you may have to sacrifice some yarn so you start the color sequence in the right place.  I have to do this with socks in self-striping (not variegated) yarn; altho I don't have to start the second sock at the other end of the skein since I'm making both socks to match not mirrored, I sometimes have to cut off some yarn so both socks start at the same spot in the color transition.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1