Pattern

C Wiser

Question

Can anyone tell me how this pattern was made with the different colored "feathers"?  It doesn't appear that the "feathers" were made ahead of time and then attached.  I'd love to make this but have no idea how to switch colors in the middle of the pattern.  HELP!!

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 12.49.08 PM.png

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

I make a lot of doilies, and I'm 100% sure that this pattern came up before with the same question not too long ago, with lots of suggestions..   edit - I found the other thread here:

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/169385-royal-pineapple-doily-pattern-7275/#comment-2806587

Edited by Granny Square

Hi again,

We all talked about this with your original posted question on this pattern awhile ago.  I think the consensuses was to use some form of bobbin to tie in the different colours.  If I was to do this pattern I would wind different colour thread on a bobbin in order to pick up that colour with each row.  It is a pain, not easy and if you are not familiar with how to work this technique then I would just stick to doing this pattern with just one colour.

I just realized I referred you to your OWN post, sorry I didn't catch that.  

A helpful hint for using this forum - if you can't remember if or where you posted a question or other topic, click on your avatar (in your case, the big pink C by your name above), or click the search button (scroll up, it's at the top right corner) and enter a relevant search term (peacock doily for example).

Meanwhile, back to your question - Changing color in any sort of crochet project crochet is major pain in the rear as it requires a lot of ends to weave in, eventually, even with bobbins; but in solid fabric you can work over unused colors to mitigate this somewhat.  

In studying this again, I think the green would not require bobbins (you could just work from the ball), since in the 'non-green' areas it looks you could crochet over the green tapestry-style.  Actually that wouldn't be much of a pain at all, you'd only have 11 bobbins of 1 color plus a ball of green.  

Edit, Lacycrochet replied as I was typing.  Bobbins, a necessary evil in colorwork but better than the alternative.

Edit 2 - with bobbins, you will have to turn the doily over each round, so the bobbin is waiting for you in the right spot to proceed

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

You know after looking at this pattern over and over, I don't think I would venture into multiple colours.  It is appealing but quite frankly, I think it will be a pain.  It isn't worth it to me but anyone who wants to take this one on, good on you and hopefully you can persevere.  Would love to see your finished project if you want to post it in our show and tell section.

• Like 1