Crocheting a Tortie Cat Issue

fluffyneko

Question

I've been asked to make a amigurumi style cat for a friend. However, this cat is a tortie and has variations of black and tans throughout. Does anyone have any suggestions for recreating the fur? The colors need to be switched often and erratically, and I'm not quite sure how to do this. Thanks!

Edited by fluffyneko
Misspelling

2 answers to this question

My GS has a Tortoiseshell cat. GS calls her Ophelia, I call her Crazy! LOL. I understand how difficult it might be to crochet the coat. One suggestion is to find a camo yarn with brown, beige/cream and black. My only other suggestion, use yarn bobbins like used with graphghans, making color changes at random since this type of cat's coat doesn't have any pattern. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion as I've never done this before. 

Edited by ReniC
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the 'ville!  I would probably create bobbins of different colors and switch the colors around as needed.

A bobbin could be as simple as a piece of scrap paper folded over a few times, with a couple of yards of yarn wrapped around it, and the bobbins not in use secured with a paper clip.  You would 'strand' the colors across the back, as the strands would be on the inside of the cat (don't pull them too tight, or make them too loose).  Totally not a cat, but here is a photo of red yarn bobbins in use on a colorwork hat a while back (the hat was done in the back loop, the light blue sample was made changing colors the same way, but using both loops)....and Reni just replied suggesting bobbins too.  

I'm not a fan of variegated yarn, the thing with that is it's too hard to control.

1531805477_NevaHatInProcess.thumb.JPG.c1e3321848953156d2320ee15b1b728f.JPG

• Thanks 1