Pattern Help!

MissingLinks62

Question

Hi! I'm new here, and I hope you can help me. I am working on a large blanket for my son using Bernat Blanket yarn, variegated in color. I put the project aside for a few months, and have now forgotten the pattern. I thought I had saved it (I usually print them off and put them in a binder), but for some reason I did not do that for this one. I know it's a fairly simple pattern, but I just can't seem to be able to re-create it. I believe I was doing something like a single, skip a stitch, then a single and a double in the next stitch. I believe each row began with the double single/half double, and each row ended with a single. This doesn't seem to be correct, however, and I just can't seem to be able to figure it out. Any ideas on how I can figure it out? I will attach a couple of photos, the first of how it SHOULD look, and the second of my struggle to re-create it. If needed, I can unravel it to the point of where I knew what I was doing and make a video of me unraveling it to see whether seeing how the stitches come apart might help. 

Blanket - 1.jpg

Blanket - 2.jpg

16 answers to this question

Some of those combo stitches are hard to identify from photos  and its even more difficult when the yarn is fuzzy and the color changes going on. Some of those combo stitches have multiple names.  Then I am not very good at name that stitch.  I would have to pull it out to the good part and pull out some of the good part stitch at a time.  

Even if you figure out the right combo you most likely will need to go ahead and pull it apart back to where you forgot the stitch.  There is a good chance that section will be noticeable.  That being said between the fuzzy yarn and multicolors in the photos I cant spot the difference between your right and wrong parts.  I might pick up on it if I saw it in person but then maybe not.  I think you might have to be very careful in unraveling because some yarns (fuzzy, chanel, etc) damage when you pull stitches apart.

Do you remember anything at all about where you saw the pattern?  Was it on a yarn company web site?  Someone's blog?  What colors was the afghan in the photo?  What kind of props were in the photo?

Sadly, no. I remember having the general instructions on my iPad, but it was such an easy pattern that I only referred to it as I started. I know I skipped a stitch between stitches, and I mentally would say "Single, Double" as I moved from stitch to stitch. I also have a vague recollection of doing two stitches into the "double" stitch (inserting my hook into the same stitch twice), but I am not 100 percent certain of that. I'm sure I was researching patterns that were easy to do with the heavy Bernat blanket yarn. It was the same stitch pattern for every row, so I didn't have to keep track of single or double rows. I also know each row ended on a "single," then I would chain one and turn. I THINK the beginning of the row started with a "double," but again, not 100 percent positive...This was really stupid of me, I know. I haven't been crocheting that long, but this was turning out so nicely until I put it aside. :(

I think many of us have done that or something similar. There are many of those stitch combos and often one combo will go by many names.  Most just repeat the send row.  There arr a couple I use frequently for prayer shawls.  One called Jamie is repeat rows of (2 double crochet, chain 2, 1 single crochet) in next chain.  Another is drunken granny with repeats of (4dc, ch3, dc ) in next space.

You are remembering quite a bit.  You might try pulling out some regular yarn and hook and work a short swatch to see what of your memories feel like is working.

Brenda -- Thanks so much for trying to help. I can't believe I can't remember such a simple pattern. I do know I didn't chain between stitches. I will pull out one of my skeins and see if I can replicate what I have so far. I'm four skeins into an 8 skein blanket. :(

OK - I'm going to attach a link to a video of me unraveling the correct part of the blanket. An added complication is that I crochet left-handed, so I'm hoping this isn't too much of a problem. I definitely skip a stitch between the singe and "double" stitch. Would it make sense that I was putting a single and double (or half double) into that "double" stitch? I vaguely remember it being an odd number in rows, which means I started with the "double" and ended with a single on each row. If a closer video would be helpful, let me know and I can unravel more. :(  

Good sleuthing guys, I'm terrible at "what's this stitch" and the yarn style and variegation made it tough.  I do own a phone and a tablet but am glad I stick to paper patterns that I can scribble on and keep with my project (plus I figure I'm using fewer resources, I don't have to re-charge my paper every so often).