Help with Bernat Boa yarn

Peterpan

Question

Hi,

I am working no a poncho using Bernat Boa yarn as one row and alternating with another yarn. I'm having a really tough time finding my stitches with the boa yarn. Should I be using another yarn with the boa? and what should I use? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks and happy crocheting!

Carolyn

5 answers to this question

Boa is evil, evil stuff. A few tips for working with eyelash/"fun fur" yarn in general:

1) It will be easier once you're not working in the foundation chain anymore. Really.

2) You might have better luck finding the loops of the previous row by feel than by sight.

3) If you have a gooseneck desk lamp or a table lamp you can take the shade off, put it on the floor between your feet. Shining a light on the piece from the back helps make the holes a little more obvious.

It's not evil, it's fun! You just have to get used to it. One more thing to add to Cathy W's list -- I always work in between the stitches of the previous row, instead of in the tops. It's much easier to feel and see each stitch that way, but yes, I almost crochet by braille with those yarns! Also, use big hooks. It makes seeing each stitch much easier.

I have such a hard time seeing the stitches that I almost always use it while stitching with contrasting WW yarn. This also helps if any frogging is needed. If I don't stitch it with regular yarn, it's almost impossible to rip out stitches...

Yes, frogging is a bit of a pain with eyelash yarns. I've gotten pretty good at it (hmmm....too many mistakes!) and here are a few tips:

1. Go SLOW. Fast frogging, like you would with worsted weight yarn only causes it to tangle.

2. Wiggle, wiggle. When it gets stuck (and it will, even if you're doing everything right!) wiggle gently back and forth. This is sometimes enough to release the stuck lashes.

3. Keep one of those small diameter blunt metal yarn needles handy. They are great for sliding underneath the tangled lashes and pulling them free.

4. The direction that you pull the thread can be important. It varies a little depending on what stitch you use, but experiment with different angles (pulling up and away from your work, down and toward, etc.)

Don't give up on eyelash yarns, they're way fun!

Boa is evil, evil stuff. A few tips for working with eyelash/"fun fur" yarn in general:

1) It will be easier once you're not working in the foundation chain anymore. Really.

2) You might have better luck finding the loops of the previous row by feel than by sight.

3) If you have a gooseneck desk lamp or a table lamp you can take the shade off, put it on the floor between your feet. Shining a light on the piece from the back helps make the holes a little more obvious.

:yay

I have avoided any type of "difficult" yarn to crochet with since I started a year ago. But I ADORE all the fluffy, soft, unusual yarns. I am trying to make a really cute poncho for my grand baby with Patons "Be Mine". It is so soft you can hardly feel it. But I was having trouble working with it. I am trying the lamp technique, along with the "braille" technique with much more success than before. THANKS!!!:clap

Archived