Pattern question

GG22

Question

I’m hoping someone can help me understand this pattern.   I get thru the first row just fine but row 2 makes no sense to me.  Row 1 ends with 8 dc.  3 in the last stitch and 5 in the second to last.  In row 2 you sc, then dc in the next two sts.  That gets you past the last 3 dc from the first row.  Then the instructions say to skip a stitch and sc in ch-3 space.  Problem is there are 5 dc and a sc before the ch 3 space.   What am I missing.   Do these instructions make sense to anyone?

Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in first sc, *sk 2 sts, sc in next sc, ch 3, sk 2 sts, sc in next sc, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next sc; rep from * to last sc, 3 dc in last sc, turn.

Row 2: Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, sk 1 st, sc in ch-3 sp, *sk 1 st, dc in next 2 dc, ch 3, sc in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, sk 1 st, sc in ch-3 sp; rep from * to last 3 dc, dc in next 2 dc, ch 3, ending with sc in top of t-ch, turn.

2 answers to this question

You may not be missing anything.  What happens when you work it exactly as written? Sometimes patterns tell you to do what seems like a strange thing and sometimes it might even look a little weird until you have worked more of the pattern.  Can you tell anything from studying the pattern photos?  Sometimes patterns do have errors.  If the pattern is free and on the internet you can share the link, if not sometimes with the name of the pattern and designer name we can find info to help.

I pulled out my hook and yarn and was going to see what happened but row 1 is worked into some other part of the pattern which I have no idea as to what it is.

Edited by bgs

I diagrammed your instructions for 1 repeat and they work; in my diagram I ignored the row below except for the stitch count and just allowed for spaces (dashed lines) if stiches were skipped, in other words as Bgs said I can't tell if the pattern named the wrong sort of stitch you were to make the next stitch into, but the count works.  My diagram is a little messy at the end  as the last 3 DCs in row 2 row are out of proportion because I'm a lousy artist/diagrammer, but I hope this makes sense.   

edited to add :

o= chain

vertical-ish line = DC

horizontal line = skipped stitches from from below

x=SC

scan0006.jpg

Edited by Granny Square