Graphcan error fix?

Eileen from Durham

Question

I just finished crocheting a 200 row graphcan in Tunisian crochet.  But just when I finished it off, I found an error in about row 100!  In that row, rather than change over the the off white background color, I continued for 2 extra stitches in red.  It is very noticeable given the contrast of the colors and that fact that the graphcan is of sailboats - and now the sail does not make an even triangle upward!.  Suggestions on how to fix without taking 100 rows out?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

In my opinion there is no easy fix and anything you did do would most likely draw more attention to it.  I guess you could crochet an applique of a bird and stitch it over the area.  I have been in similar situations and wound up pulling them apart and redoing them because I just would not be satisfied with it.

• Like 1

I would have written exactly the same thing as Bgs if she hadn't already beat me to it, except I have a suggestion that might make ripping out 'plan B'.

However there is a 'thing' in knitting called a 'duplicate stitch' (which is embroidery over knit fabric).  Knit stockinette stitches look more or less like a 'V' on the front side, and duplicate stitch is used not only to fix mistakes like yours, but to create colorwork; example I made a sort of Salish-style hat that was off-white with a circle of dark brown whales around it, and duplicate stitched the whales to avoid stranding which I was afraid might have affected the stretch of the hat.  So where I'm going with this knitting analogy, is you could try carefully embroidering over the errant red stitches in off-white first, and try your best to make the strands of your embroidery look like the form of the adjacent stitches.  It might work better if you 'de-plied' the strands of yarn for the embroidery and use 2 strands instead of 4 to add less bulk.  If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then I'm afraid ripping and re-doing is in order.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I would have written exactly the same thing as Bgs if she hadn't already beat me to it, except I have a suggestion that might make ripping out 'plan B'.

However there is a 'thing' in knitting called a 'duplicate stitch' (which is embroidery over knit fabric).  Knit stockinette stitches look more or less like a 'V' on the front side, and duplicate stitch is used not only to fix mistakes like yours, but to create colorwork; example I made a sort of Salish-style hat that was off-white with a circle of dark brown whales around it, and duplicate stitched the whales to avoid stranding which I was afraid might have affected the stretch of the hat.  So where I'm going with this knitting analogy, is you could try carefully embroidering over the errant red stitches in off-white first, and try your best to make the strands of your embroidery look like the form of the adjacent stitches.  It might work better if you 'de-plied' the strands of yarn for the embroidery and use 2 strands instead of 4 to add less bulk.  If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then I'm afraid ripping and re-doing is in order.

I was wondering about doing this but was afraid that in order to cover the red it would add enough bulk to the area that it would bother me more than doing nothing.

That occurred to me as well which is why I suggested using half the plies and seeing how it looked (if it didn't work, it could be picked out, or it could be tried on a swatch).  You'd also have to be careful about the back side's appearance and weave in the ends invisibly.  It worked with my whales because all the whales were identically raised slightly from the background stitches which made some sort of design sense (I hope).

I just had a brainstorm and did some googling; Tunisian is sort of a knit/crochet hybrid and in knitting  you can 'undo' a column of stitches to fix an error x rows below.  Apparently this works with Tunisian as well (I've done a bit of entrelac but I'm no Tunisian expert), this link might help.  Hopefully it works with colorwork without causing tension issues.  If I were the OP I'd try it on a swatch first tho...

https://yarnandy.com/how-to-fix-mistakes-in-tunisian-crochet/