Introducing myself. Barb from Central Illinois

I have been crocheting since I was a little girl.  My grandmother taught me to embroider with a very small crochet technique on hankies.  Since those very first lessons I became interested in crocheting and have been crocheting ever since.  Mostly self taught with a lot of help.  Most recently have been experimenting on Tunisian Crochet top down raglan sweater, which is giving me some headaches, to say the least.  The name of my pattern is Tunisian Star Stitch Pullover.  I am so confused with Rows 4-9 which refers to increases, which I understand, but the stitch count by row confuses me.  I am crocheting an XL and could use some explanation as to the count for each row.  The instruction says 148 its (including 28 its for each sleeve, 44 its for front and back, not counting first st and marked sts) at the end of Row 9.  My count for row 4 is always around 103, which is not correct.  When counting that row do I just count all the stitches in that row or do I not count the first st and the marked stitches in row 4.  Please Help!! I have been at this pattern for a long time and I'm determined to figure this pattern out.

Welcome to the 'ville!  My grandmother taught me to embroider with needle and thread when I was about 6, but I was a teenager before learning to knit and crochet.

Linking what sounds like your pattern (on Yarnspirations) , it's lovely!

https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-tunisian-star-stitch-pullover/RHC0129-018573M.html

Unfortunately I do very little Tunisian (a little entrelac in TSS); however I have knit a bunch of similar pullovers style-wise (raglan sleeves), bottom up and top down, so I 'get' the concept of raglan construction--the stitch is irrelevant to the way it works--there's a front, a sleeve, a back, a sleeve; increases happen between each piece working top down, decreases happen between each piece working bottom up.  The details can a little different, decorative or plain, but that's how the raglan shape works.

In my experience, in general you would count all the stitches in the row/round, so front, raglan increase 'line', sleeve, raglan increase 'line', back, raglan increase 'line', other sleeve, raglan increase 'line'--including marked stitches. 

At the end of row 3 it says you work until you have this stitch count "92 (100, 100, 100, 108) sts", XL is the 3rd number which I highlighted.  You are having issues with row 4 and beyond, I'm just double checking that row 3 came out right - did it? 

Then it says in the notes which subset of that total is for the sleeves, which are for the front and back.  It is saying 8 increases are worked in each row; there are 4 increase lines, so each of the 4 pieces increase 1 stitch on each side, each round.  I'm pointing this to hopefully help you see where you you went wrong, and maybe why, and if nothing else to help you figure out where to rip back to, to make it right.

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks so much for your help.  I double and triple checked my row 3 to make sure that my count was correct, and it was correct.   It seems that starting to work on the tunisian part, picking up stitches and starting to increase in the row is where I start to run into problems.  I particularly was very careful when doing my increases and marking them.  It is so frustrating when you think you are doing everything right and according to the instructions, then to find out your count stitch is off.  My question is how do they figure 148 stitches which includes the sleeves and front and back? Does that mean the 148 stitches are for each row or does that mean that's the total for row 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.  I can't image that 148 stitches are for just one row.  With all the increases included and at the beginning and end of the row I usually end up with 106 stitches.  That's what so confusing.  I am determined to understand this.   And yes your reply makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.