Base ch question

SarahKg

Question

The pattern says ch1 then 2dc in chain at base of ch1. It’s confusing me. Below is the section of the pattern and I’m talking about rnd 2. 

Rnd 1: ch76[76,88,100,112,124], join with sl st in first ch
Rnd 2: ch1, but pull it longer than normal ch, 2dc in ch at the base of ch1, dc in each of next 18[18,21,24,27,30]ch, *(2dc,ch2,2dc) in next ch, dc in each of next 18[18,21,24,27,30]ch*, repeat from * 2 more times, 2dc in same st as first 2dc, ch2, join with sl st in first dc 96[96,108,120,132,144]sts

2 answers to this question

That is an unusual instruction.  All I can think of is that the designer doesn't like turning chains, and is treating the loop as a turning chain that does not count as a stitch - notice the pattern does not address the loop when you come back around to the beginning of the round, and instead says 'join in the first DC'.  And if that is the case, the 'base of the chain 1' is the same spot you inserted the hook to pull up the loop for the long chain.

I'm not confident that my guess is  correct, hopefully some one else will see this and come up with a better theory.  Does the pattern have a 'special stitches' section, where it hopefully might say that this is how turning chains are treated in this pattern?

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

That is an unusual instruction.  All I can think of is that the designer doesn't like turning chains, and is treating the loop as a turning chain that does not count as a stitch - notice the pattern does not address the loop when you come back around to the beginning of the round, and instead says 'join in the first DC'.  And if that is the case, the 'base of the chain 1' is the same spot you inserted the hook to pull up the loop for the long chain.

I'm not confident that my guess is  correct, hopefully some one else will see this and come up with a better theory.  Does the pattern have a 'special stitches' section, where it hopefully might say that this is how turning chains are treated in this pattern?

My thoughts were the same as yours.