help with pattern

riy.bee

Question

i'm having trouble understanding this pattern, could anyone explain what i'm supposed to do? thank you!!

it's supposed to make the start of a head, so i assume it should become circular, but i'm not sure what the 'last stitch' means, or where to do the 4sc

ch 6, crochet around the ch, start in the 2nd ch from hook.
Rnd 1: inc, 3 sc, 3 sc in last stitch, 4 sc

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, bgs said:

You are crocheting an oval shape working on both sides of your chain.

https://www.ehow.com/how_2093630_crochet-basic-oval-shape.html

thanks, that's very helpful!

i don't completely understand the last part '4sc'. i assume i do this after turning, on the other side of the chain? if so, will 4 stitches be enough, considering it's a 6 stitch chain? thanks again 😊

Edited by qwerty

Do what it says step at a time.  Dont over think it.  I pulled out a hook and yarn to check because it makes more sense as I do it.   You chained 6 but you start working in second chain from hook.

ch 6, crochet around the ch,  This is telling you to work on both sides of your chains

start in the 2nd ch from hook

Rnd 1: inc, 3 sc, 3 sc in last stitch, 4 sc------inc means make 2 stitches, make them in second ch from your hook, make 1 sc in each of the next 3 ch, make 3 sc into last ch, rotate your work.  Now you will be working into other side of your ch.  Make 1 sc in each of the 4 ch (the 4th one is made into same ch as your first 2 sitches to complete the oval.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

I agree with Bgs, but just to be crystal clear I want to point out one word she chose - rotate your work, not turn your work. 

This is a weird concept the first time you do it - with the chain facing you, work into 1 or 2 loops of the chain on the first pass, when you run out of chain, rotate it, same side facing you as before, so the stitches you just made are under the chain now, and the loop or loops you didn't use in the first pass are at the top, ready to be worked into.  Do not use the back bump only for one of the passes, it pulls the chain to tight.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Granny Square said:

I agree with Bgs, but just to be crystal clear I want to point out one word she chose - rotate your work, not turn your work. 

This is a weird concept the first time you do it - with the chain facing you, work into 1 or 2 loops of the chain on the first pass, when you run out of chain, rotate it, same side facing you as before, so the stitches you just made are under the chain now, and the loop or loops you didn't use in the first pass are at the top, ready to be worked into.  Do not use the back bump only for one of the passes, it pulls the chain to tight.

thanks for the help, i managed to do it!!