New to crocheting, what does this mean?

KMBlack

Question

9 answers to this question

Agree with Bgs, but to add a tiny bit of detail - you made a ring, and as she said probably chained 3 right after making that ring- the chain 3 is called a 'turning chain', which is more accurately described as 'chain that gets the yarn up to the level of the next row or round of stitches' (but 'turning chain' is easier to type!).  For US DC (UK treble), the turning chain is 3 and typically counts as a stitch.  So at the end, when you chained 3 and made 23 trebles, you have made what counts as 24 trebles.  You are done working into the initial ring, and will make the next round into the stitches you just made.  I'm guessing future rounds will be made in a similar way.

You are working in joined rounds.  This typically starts a new round by slip stitching into the first stitch of the round you are finishing to join it, making a turning chain of the height of the the stitch you are making (so  3 for this pattern); and then you proceed with the rest of the new round as instructed.

A comment: what are you making?  Your stitches are very loose; not criticizing, just a comment as you said you were a new crocheter, and I want to help you have a happy ending with your project; when I was new I made ridiculously tight stitches, and it took a fair bit of practice to retrain myself to loosen up to a close to average gauge. The loops of your stitches should be the size of the shaft of the hook, the part where the yarn is on the hook in your photo.  

Most patterns will give a stitch gauge, for example X stitches and Y rows make a Z" square with a specific hook size.  For some things gauge doesn't matter much, but you should be aware of this to recognize if your fabric is going to work or not for the intended purpose, example for a hat that needs to fit, or a stuffed toy whose stitches should be tight enough to hide the stuffing.  

• Like 1

Thank you both for your interest in my dilemma!  Your answers are pretty much what I thought it would be.  My stitches unfortunately are not quite right, I get better every time I redo it, planning on redoing it again.  When I made them tighter, it made the edges curl up, I don't think it supposed to be doing that as it is supposed to be a lacy blanket pattern.  I will keep practising!! 

Ohhh....this pattern is doing something unusual, like you'd be more likely to see in a doily than a blanket.  It's beautiful!

It looks like this is made of many large squares sewn or crocheted together.  (that is not the unusual thing)  The unusual thing is the way the petals of the center flower are made.  Good news, it's not difficult, just different.

It is a little hard to see because of the folds of the piece, but the flowers appear to start with a center circle as we were talking about above, but after that it looks like a round of loooooooong chain loops made around the center circle (the loops form the base of each petal), then a round of tall stitches (guessing US DCs/UK trebles) made 1 to each chain of each of the long loops, possibly more than 1 stitch in each chain at the petal tips.  

After all the petals are done, a long chain between each petal tip, followed by the rounds that finish off the square.

I'm going to offer a word of advice, or  comment, which I'm not sure I would have heeded when I was a new crocheter and fearless teenager.    Patterns back then didn't give a warning that they were beginner, intermediate, etc., so I just dug in and tried to figure them out (this was way before the internet and I didn't have anyone handy to ask, beyond the first lesson of how to make basic stitches).  I mostly did figure them out, but not without some trial and error and studying the pattern photo. 

This is not a beginner pattern.  I can see 'where this is going', or make an educated guess, because I've run into similar-ish things before, and I like making lace doilies where all sorts of weird design things can happen.  It may be frustrating, and I would hate for a new crocheter sour on crochet altogether because of a difficult first project.  

Don't get me wrong, if you want to stick with it we will try to help and cheer you on, I just want you to know what you are in for.  And after the first square, actually after the flower of the first square, the rest of the square is more straightforward.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh, you read my mind, I’m a pretty seasoned knitter so after a few google lessons I figured I would give it a go but definitely am realizing it’s a bit difficult.  The kit was a gift, I’m sure if I stick with it I can get it, I already can see what you are talking about with regards to the pattern, I just hate to keep having to stop and ask questions.  Thank you so much for the feedback.  

Glad to help, also glad you are a knitter so the construction concepts make sense if not all the details yet. I knit too but so far not lace like this, mostly sox and sweaters.  

Don't worry about coming back to ask more questions if more come up.  I mostly crochet doilies nowadays, and most crocheters haven't run into a lot of the odd transactions that doilies can have; they can be very non-linear.

• Like 1