Blanket

blanket

Question

I was given a crochet pattern that is 376 chains and then you dbl crochet. 8 then chain 8 and repeat these til the end.  I made this probably 30 years ago and l can't remember how to draw the 8 chains up and add the border.  What is this pattern called or any help is appreciated.  Beautiful blanket but a handful to hold on to.

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  This sounds like a "Jacob's Ladder" pattern.  The action that you do to draw up the chains to make the decorative raised pattern (using a crochert hook, or your finger) is the same way you fix a dropped stitch in knitting (often using a crochet hook)--and before you do that, the open area caused by the dropped stitch is called a 'ladder'.

Here is a search on Ravelry for free blanket patterns like this, both from the center out and worked in rows as you described; I think the last 2 (by Coats & Clark, and Monica Ballinger) used the name, but is not that technique.

Edited by Granny Square
to word the knitting comparison more clearly
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, came back and realized my link wasn't there, here are the patterns, trying again -- 

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&availability=free&pc=blanket&query=Jacob's ladder&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1

The one from Bev's Country cottage is cool, The only difference is the 'ladders' are laced up in opposite directions, alternating top to bottom, bottom to top.

Edited by Granny Square

I didn't look at the video, but the photo looks like there is a row of DC and a row of SC.  So it makes sense you'd need a longer chain since it's spanning a little more distance in this case.  And I think the SCs are a good idea, it would keep the fabric tighter--the loops come out of the DCs, and the SCs 'close' the DCs together behind the gappy loop.