Heart Stitch

Bea V

Question

Trouble making top of heart pattern. Have 29 stitches and need to divide equally. Pattern says to sc first 14 chain one and turn problem when I turn and finish the 14  the curve in the middle of the heart does not turn out

1 answer to this question

Is this pattern free on the internet, so we can see the instructions?  Or at least a photo of the finished item?  A picture is truly worth 1000 words for this sort of thing.

With an odd number of stitches, you can't divide it exactly equally. But you can divide it so it has a middle stitch, and the same # on each side.  So 29 stitches would be 14, 1, 14.

Since you said top of the heart, I'm guessing the middle 1 stitch may not be worked, and what the pattern is telling you to make is1 lobe across 14 stitches in the first row, and continue in subsequent rows just across the 1 lobe, and the # of stitches will be reduced on either side it to form the narrowed shape.  Then finish off, and reattach the yarn to make the lobe on the other side.  I'm picturing something like this /\./\ (sort of, best I can  do with keyboard characters), so you make the whole blue lobe, then the whole red lobe, or vice versa but either way you stop working all the way across the bottom part of the heart when you get to the lobes.

Edited to add - the pattern might avoid cutting the yarn by (example, still guessing), finishing the blue lobe for example, and slip stitching down the side facing the center stitch between the lobes, and across that center stitch, and starting the second lobe.  This sort of thing happens a lot in lace patterns.  (this is a guess, and how I'd design it, because it reduces the # of ends to weave in).

Edited by Granny Square
edited for clarity