Hi, I’m stuck in a pattern

LaurenS

Question

Hi, I can’t work out what these instructions are telling me to do. 
It’s to make a a tail for hedwig (harry potter) 

round 1: ch 14 

round 2: ch1 + dc 13 + 3 dc in the next stitch + dc 12 + 2 dc in the next stitch (30) 

i can’t see how I can get all that in 14 chains? Or am I missing something? 

thank you for any help! 
lauren 

2 answers to this question

You are going to be working along both sides of the chain.  (this technique is in the top 5 of questions we get in the help section, it is a little disorienting the first time you do this).  I'm  going to split up your instruction to 2 lines, my comments in red:

round 2: ch1 + dc 13 + 3 dc in the next stitch this is worked across the chain in the normal way, the 3 dc in the last stitch in this part is to turn the corner, because

+ dc 12 + 2 dc in the next stitch (30) this part is worked using the loop or loops that you didn't use on the first pass across the chain.  You will arrive back where you started

I'm guessing since you are at the tail, these will form feathers, one end attached to the bird and the other forming an inverted U shape where the corner turning happened.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Granny Square said:

You are going to be working along both sides of the chain.  (this technique is in the top 5 of questions we get in the help section, it is a little disorienting the first time you do this).  I'm  going to split up your instruction to 2 lines, my comments in red:

round 2: ch1 + dc 13 + 3 dc in the next stitch this is worked across the chain in the normal way, the 3 dc in the last stitch in this part is to turn the corner, because

+ dc 12 + 2 dc in the next stitch (30) this part is worked using the loop or loops that you didn't use on the first pass across the chain.  You will arrive back where you started

I'm guessing since you are at the tail, these will form feathers, one end attached to the bird and the other forming an inverted U shape where the corner turning happened.

That’s amazing! Thank you so much for your help