Crochet terminology

Tracyhm73

Question

2 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Tracyhm73 said:

What does [dc in next ch] twice mean? Do I put two double crochet in one chain or one double crochet in the next two chains?

Welcome to Crochetville

I would take that as one dc in the next two chains.

Lacycrochet, I agree, but just for a tiny bit of extra clarity for the OP I'm going to add 1 word--one dc in each of the next 2 chains.

Welcome Tracy HM73, a version of your question is probably in the top 5 questions that come up in the Help forum.    Throwing out another common way to say the same thing that confuses beginners, 'DC 2 or '2 DC' for example; if a pattern says  a number of a (whatever) stitch, and does not say where to put them, it always means 1 (whatever stitch) into the following (whatever number), so 2 DC (or DC 2) = 1 DC into each of the next 2 stitches for example.

If it wanted you to put 2 sts into 1 stitch, it would have said so.  And if it wanted you to do a decrease (turn 2 DCs into 1), it would have said so.  The best way to interpret any pattern instruction is to read it as literally as possible, and your instruction "[dc in next ch] twice" literally means 'Dc in next stitch once, then do that very same thing again", where the next stitch is now a different next stitch, because you have moved along the row.

• Like 1