How to stitch this best?

Millish

Question

Hi,

I’m extremely new to knitting and crochet but have made a confident start and learned a lot in a short space of time. Recently an old threadbare blanket has emerged that was made for me by my grandmother an awfully long time ago. I thought it would be a nice idea to try and replicate it as much as possible - one for new memories and two I think it’s a good exercise. 
From my limited experience I’m confident it’s a fairly simple project. Looks to me like single crochet (in a spiral?!). I can’t work out how she did the corners though and can’t find an example anywhere that uses sc like this.

Basically, starting is my problem! I forgot to mention, the blanket is in another country so I’m relying on photographs as well!

Any help and advice gladly received.

thanks in advance.

IMG_6533.thumb.jpeg.dab45810d7b2a344ee92edcd6b3318e7.jpeg

69402486777__43D0BCEA-0D20-479A-A4D4-294534D32381.thumb.jpeg.585e65819c25d602ec392facc64ff192.jpeg

69402472029__5C2B2487-CD4A-40CD-912D-A55DC80995B3.thumb.jpeg.53118cc3cf95896340957b670211d051.jpeg

69402467826__BB1D3922-DCDF-4804-9002-F3A7A6AB9F63.thumb.jpeg.2a283b6d60b8e83249c505d0b6f5156d.jpeg

IMG_7180.thumb.jpeg.2ededf90fc0d8e125bd19e9ac7370bde.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I believe your guess is mostly correct, it looks like SC but not worked in a spiral; if it was a spiral, you'd see a 'jog' where the colors joined.  I believe it was worked same side facing, but when came around to the last stitch of the round, you'd change the yarn to the next color (first color of the next round, in other words), complete the stitch, slip stitch to the first stitch of that round chain 1, and continue with the next round.  This makes a clean transition when changing colors in most any situation.

The center was started as a chain, and worked as a center - out rectangle.  There are a lot of 'hits' if you google 'how to crochet a rectangle center out blanket'. You start with a chain, work across the chain as usual, then at the last stitch put more than 1 stitch to turn the corner, and work back the way you came using the free loops of the underside of the chain, that you didn't use the first time.  When you come back to where you started, you make a few extra stitches like before to turn that corner. 

The trick to achieve a rectangle of the proportion you want, is the length of the center chain.  The chain is the center 'spine', and will grow at the same distance on each side of the chain, as well as outward from each end of the chain.  Example, if you make a chain 24" long, your blanket will end up 2' longer than  wide, however many rounds you make.

This pattern would probably work https://itsallinanutshell.com/2016/12/07/merry-go-round-free-crochet-blanket-pattern/

Edited to add, I just realized the pattern I linked is in UK terms, not US - not a  big deal to 'translate', it is in US SC which is the same as UK DC, and Foundation SC instead of foundation DC; the rest of the terms are the same.  If you would rather start with a foundation chain, you can substitute a foundation chain and a row of SC. 

Edited by Granny Square

Instructions for a sc granny square found here.  You just keep going around to make it larger adding stitches where needed.  It should be obvious after a few rounds how this is done.  

Now the thing is the afghan pictured is not a square but a rectangle so you start that with chains.  Cant tell exactly from photo but it looks like about 11 chains. You sc in the chains but when you get to the end you are going to put extra stitches into the last chain.  You turn it and are now working on the other side of your chain much like this

https://rajiscrafthobby.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-crochet-single-crochet-rectangle.html?m=1