Big Nosed Birthday Gronk

Tampa Doll

I am not sure if I consider this a toy or a doll.  Well, anyway DH's Birthday is at the end of the month and he loves these Big Nosed Gronks, (as he calls them).  So I found this on Annie's Attic and could not resist.

I think he is cute and can be made in many colors.  Thinking of making a pink one for me.

Birthday Gronk (1).JPG

Birthday Gronk (5).JPG

• Like 5

He's adorable! My DD1 is obsessed with them. She researches info on the legends of "Gonks" from all over the world. If you peruse Pinterest, here's a link with pics to give you some theme ideas. Really cute ones too.

• Like 1

I have a slew of patterns, including one for Adam and Eve from Hooked on Patterns.

Like I said DH loves them and he calls them Gronk.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Thank you all.  He loves it.  It is sitting in the back room in a place of honor next to his comupter.

Yeah, Y.Marie, everyone has a name for them.  This is what my husband calls them.

Hi Tampa Doll,

Yes everyone has a name for them I know.  I been meaning to ask you how big are they?

I was thinking about buying the pattern and also did you use the yarn they (Annie's Attic ) suggest?

I have never seen colors suggested in strips like that. I know there is variegated yarn, is that what it is?

Thank you,

Y Marie :cheer

On 1/16/2023 at 9:59 AM, Y.Marie said:

Hi Tampa Doll,

Yes everyone has a name for them I know.  I been meaning to ask you how big are they?

I was thinking about buying the pattern and also did you use the yarn they (Annie's Attic ) suggest?

I have never seen colors suggested in strips like that. I know there is variegated yarn, is that what it is?

Thank you,

Y Marie :cheer

The Gronk is about 10" tall and the cake is 5" tall.  I used what yarn I had here at home which is DK Premier Ever Soft Yarn.  You change colors, it is not the variegated yarn, but I am sure you can use it instead of changing colors.

As for the doily it is a 12" square called Wings of Hope by Sherry Welch.  I got it as a free pattern, from craftfreely.com if you would like it, PM me and I will send it to you.  They no longer show the pattern.

Thank you all for the compliments.  He is fun to make.

3 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

The Gronk is about 10" tall and the cake is 5" tall.  I used what yarn I had here at home which is DK Premier Ever Soft Yarn.  You change colors, it is not the variegated yarn, but I am sure you can use it instead of changing colors.

As for the doily it is a 12" square called Wings of Hope by Sherry Welch.  I got it as a free pattern, from craftfreely.com if you would like it, PM me and I will send it to you.  They no longer show the pattern.

Thank you all for the compliments.  He is fun to make.

Hi Tampa Doll,

Thank you for all the answer to my questions. I did buy the pattern and will try to make it. I think For me I might go down to a crochet hook size E crochet hook ? He might come out a bit bigger but we'll see I don't think I can go down to a C crochet hook. I like your idea for the yarn, I usually use Red Heart yarn.

Thank you on your doily suggestion and everything else.

Have a nice day,

Y Marie

• 3 weeks later...