Tunisian honeycomb stitch pattern

emeraldspring

Question

I'm having trouble with a tunisian crochet pattern. It's a paid pattern so there's no video how-to. (There is, but not what I need). Without going into detail, I'm teaching myself tunisian crochet; and I'm having trouble. This pattern is done in a honeycomb stitch pattern. It took me HOURS to get the foundation row stitch count correct. I put a stitch marker on the right-hand edge of the correct row so I know not to frog that! 

Row 2 - I had been 5 stitches short. Now I'm only 2 stitches short. I'm supposed to have 150 stitches. 

How do I find out where I'm going wrong? Is there a website or video anyone can point me to?

Thank you for reading, even if you can't help!

Gwynn

2 answers to this question

Hi and Welcome

Kim Guzman, known as Tunisian Kim is the absolute pro in Tunisian crochet.  You have the right idea with the stitch marker.  Here is a video on honeycomb Tunisian.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/194428908892690818/   If the link doesn't work, then copy and paste.

Youtube Kim Guzman and she will give you videos of every Tunisian stitch.

Good for you, self learning this beautiful art.  Hopefully you post your finished product in our show and tell.

I am not really into Tunisian Crochet (have only played with a little entrelac and TSS), however I know that Kim Guzman is an expert on the subject and has written a few books on the subject.  This is her website, and she has a stitch library (menu at the top of the page), there are 2 honeycomb stitches listed, a 'plain' one, and one with a Japanese purl.

The main page also has videos on 'learn Tunisian crochet.'  I can't help much beyond that, sorry, hopefully others who do it can chime in. (edit, as I'm typing Lacycrochet made the same recommendation to check out Kim's site).

I recall what tripped me up a little was dealing with the edge at the end of the first pass/before the start of the second pass (chain, or not, or?  I can't recall now), and I'd have to do a complete how-to review if I wanted to start another Tunisian project tomorrow.  I'm thinking if you aren't dealing with that end correctly, it can cause a stitch mis-count which could accumulate like you are seeing.  I see Lacycrochet has recommended Kim's site as well.

• Like 1