Row 14 Doesn’t Add Up??

Kenzie723

Question

In this pattern, everything up to row 14 was working perfectly. All the stitches in each row made sense and added up correctly. However, in row 14 the pattern says I’m supposed to have 42st at the end, but every time I add things up I end up with 49st. Am I somehow reading this wrong? I’m so frustrated and at a total loss.

I’m assuming the “1 cs in next 6 st” is a typo and meant to be “1 sc in next 6 st”. At the end of row 13 you have 48st.

Row 14 is as follows:

”1cs in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 3st, switch to white, 1sc in next 3 st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 5st, switch to orange, 1sc in next st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec (42)”

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville.

OK, you had the correct # of sts at the end of row 13, which was 48.  Row 14 is supposed to end in 42 sts,  therefore, there should be 6 sts removed by decreases or skipped stitches in row 14 (stating the obvious, but I'm just illustrating how I go about trouble-shooting my own situations like this to see if the pattern goofed, or I did).

Pasting so I don't have to scroll: ”1cs in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 3st, switch to white, 1sc in next 3 st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec, 1sc in next 5st, switch to orange, 1sc in next st, dec, 1sc in next 6st, dec (42)”

There are 7 decreases in row 14 not 6, so (1) the pattern goofed in the final stitch count and it should really be 41, (2) one of the 'dec' should have been 'dc ' to bring the count to 43 or (3) you read 'dec' as 'dc' (I've done this on occasion), which would have added 9 to get you to 49.  I suspect the last 2 scenarios are correct - you misread and the pattern count goofed.  Since the stitch pattern in this row seems to be *6 sc, dc, repeat, you are a better judge based on the pattern in this row versus prior ones, but my guess is the last 'dec' should be 'dc'.

So these are the instructions for row 14

”1cs in next 6st.        6 made 6 used

dec,                             1 made 2 used

1sc in next 3st,           3 made 3 used

1sc in next 3 st,           3 made 3 used

dec,                                1 made 2 used

1sc in next 6st.             6 made 6 used

1sc in next 6st,             6 made 6 used

dec,                                 1 made 2 used

1sc in next 6st,             6 made 6 used

1sc in next 5st,             5 made 5 used

1sc in next st,               1 made 1 used

dec,                                1made 2 used

1sc in next 6st,           6 made 6 used

dec.                               1 made 2 used

49 made.  56 used 

Things definitely do not add up so there is a problem with the pattern.  Sometimes you can figure out what went wrong by studying photos supplied with pattern and by how the next row is supposed to fit into this one.