Pattern problem

Sophie123

Question

Hi there, hope you can help, I’m making a sloth using a pattern and quite stuck on a row it says:

‘rejoin yarn with standing dc to stitch 22 and work 15dc’ (16sts) 

can anyone please explain this? I understand the rejoin and standing dc part but what does stitch 22 and work 15 dc mean? 

thank you appreciate any help with making this sloth for my daughter 🙂 

sophie xx

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Have you marked the position of the first stitch of the round you are in?  (this is really important to keep you oriented anywhere, but especially in a toy animal so you don't rearrange it's anatomy accident not 'knowing where you are' in the pattern.)  By marking the first stitch, there are stitch markers you can buy for this, but you could use a short piece of yarn for example and stick it thru the first stitch of the round, or a safety pin, or I like  to use a bobby pin.  When you work around and come back to the marker, you take it out, make the first stitch of the next round where the marker was, and put the marker back in the new first stitch.

So your round has more than 22 stitches I assume.  If you had marked the first stitch of the round, you would count that stitch as 'one' and then 21 stitches beyond that in the direction you were working is the 22nd stitch.

'Work 15 DCs' is the standard way of saying to put 1 DC into each of the following 15 stitches.  (16 DCs) is a sanity check to tell you how many stitches you have in that  round, which sounds like it is not a round any more because you didn't work all the way around.

Sorry to say this, but you may have to rip and start over if you don't know where you are in the pattern.   Also s a general rule, it is a good idea to read through a pattern to make sure you understand how it is constructed, especially something like a toy or a wearable to understand how 'where you are now' relates to the other parts, to avoid being hopelessly lost.  I've been crocheting for decades and use stitch markers all the time, if I put something down for a week I know just where I am with relation to the beginning of a round or whatever the relevant position I marked was.

Edited by Granny Square
removed redundant word
  • Like 1

I agree with Granny Square, stitch markers will be your new best friend.  I also use them, they keep me from the frustration of getting lost and ripping out my work.

On 1/7/2023 at 4:49 PM, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

Have you marked the position of the first stitch of the round you are in?  (this is really important to keep you oriented anywhere, but especially in a toy animal so you don't rearrange it's anatomy accident not 'knowing where you are' in the pattern.)  By marking the first stitch, there are stitch markers you can buy for this, but you could use a short piece of yarn for example and stick it thru the first stitch of the round, or a safety pin, or I like  to use a bobby pin.  When you work around and come back to the marker, you take it out, make the first stitch of the next round where the marker was, and put the marker back in the new first stitch.

So your round has more than 22 stitches I assume.  If you had marked the first stitch of the round, you would count that stitch as 'one' and then 21 stitches beyond that in the direction you were working is the 22nd stitch.

'Work 15 DCs' is the standard way of saying to put 1 DC into each of the following 15 stitches.  (16 DCs) is a sanity check to tell you how many stitches you have in that  round, which sounds like it is not a round any more because you didn't work all the way around.

Sorry to say this, but you may have to rip and start over if you don't know where you are in the pattern.   Also s a general rule, it is a good idea to read through a pattern to make sure you understand how it is constructed, especially something like a toy or a wearable to understand how 'where you are now' relates to the other parts, to avoid being hopelessly lost.  I've been crocheting for decades and use stitch markers all the time, if I put something down for a week I know just where I am with relation to the beginning of a round or whatever the relevant position I marked was.

Thank you!! You have totally made me realise what I’ve done wrong!! All the advice is much appreciated and I’ve ordered my markers from Amazon right now! 

I will be taking apart a couple of rows but nothing that can’t be fixed! 😃 what a great forum thanks again Sophie 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 5:37 PM, Lacycrochet said:

I agree with Granny Square, stitch markers will be your new best friend.  I also use them, they keep me from the frustration of getting lost and ripping out my work.

Great advice, much appreciated and I will be pulling out a few rows but lesson learned 

thanks again Sophie (Scotland) 

• Like 1