Iron On Patch on a Crochet item

Roy

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome Roy

I myself haven't had a lot of luck with crocheted oven mitts unless I have done it in a thick thermal stitch.  What kind of iron on material are you thinking about?  I am not aware of anything iron on that would hold up to the heat or washing it for that matter.  This is just my opinion.  Hopefully one of the many pro crocheters will be by soon to help you with something they might be familiar with or a technique that they have experience with.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Roy, welcome to the 'ville.  I would judge this to likely be a really bad idea.  The patch is adhered to the mitt with stuff that is designed to MELT with heat.  Then you want to subject it to more heat from the oven or the casserole dish in the palm of your mitt while you use it?  The adhesive might re-melt and slip off in the oven and possibly start a fire, or burn you--the exact opposite of heat resistant.  If you want more heat resistance, make the glove double-thick.

'Iron on' works better with tightly woven fabric (like a man's cotton dress shirt, for example), than lumpy crochet stitches where it's not going to have as much contact area, but it's still an inferior solution to sewing on, in my opinion.  I used to sew a lot of my own clothes, and gave up on iron-on interfacing or hem tape, it didn't hold up well.  

Edit, I see Lacycrochet and I posted at the same time with the same thought.  I hadn't thought about the thermal stitch, that's not a bad idea to try.  I know my double thick knit and crochet potholders work great, I never was a mitt person...

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1