Dc/rf

mysterricash

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I'm old too, but have never heard of DCRF.  Basket weave patterns usually involve front post and back DC post stitches.  They usually don't lean, but you never know - perhaps the designer made up a shorthand for 'DC Right Front', for a front post right leaning DC.  I have seen stranger things in this help section, actually that one makes a lot of sense.  But, I'm guessing.

Is this a free pattern on the 'net that you could link to?  One thing that helps me when I can't decipher an instruction is to peer closely at the pattern photo at the spot I'm at, to try to figure out what it is trying to say.  Does the pattern have a 'special stitches' section?  If it's in a book or magazine, it may be on it's own page at the back or front.

This pattern

https://makeanddocrew.com/crochet-basket-weave-blanket-free-pattern/

says

"dc/rf – raised double crochet at the front of the fabric: Wrap yarn around hook, insert hook from in front and from right to left (or left to right for left handed crocheters) around the post of appropriate stitch and complete the stitch as usual."

Wow, good sleuthing to find the pattern Bgs!.  Raised, so front post DC, (normally abbreviated FPDC) , but the designer made up their own name.  And DCRB for a BPDC (back post DC) and TCH for turning chain (which usually doesn't have a name, but rather something like chain x, turn).

Misterricash, I often tell crocheters to read through a pattern before starting so they understand how an item is constructed, (sometimes clothing items can be convoluted), but also in this case it is especially important to read the special stitches/abbreviation section because the author didn't use conventional terms.  Self published patterns can be well written, but they can also be nonsense - I won't call this one nonsense as the designer DID provide stitch definitions that were clear, they just used unconventional abbreviations.  Unfortunately because of the wrong names, you couldn't go to youtube if you needed help seeing how the stitch was made if you had never run into post stitches before, and were unsure how to make them.