Is Knitting Good For Depression?

Joyce Lynn

Question

3 answers to this question

I didn't read the article because the site tried to load all sorts of files on my computer so I left after a few seconds.

That's an interesting idea, I suppose knitting or crochet (I do both) keep your mind on your pattern not your troubles, and in the end you get a completed 'thing' to admire and use, so it's a positive thing.  I am a senior citizen and like to make doilies, because thread is cheap and they're pretty, but I also think they are good for keeping my mind sharp because they are more complicated than most other things (not difficult, but you have to memorize a new pattern each round).  Plus I tend to redesign some of them a little.

• Like 2

I didn't read the article either.

I am actually teaching a woman how to crochet that suffers from depression.  She said it is helping her because it helps her get out of her own head.  She can focus on something that isn't negative and she feels good about herself when she completes a project.  When I was working in the health care field I use to advise patients to get out into nature and take up a hobby that requires some focus like knitting and crochet.  Knitting and crochet also help with stress because again, it takes your focus off what it is that is bothering you.  This is just my opinion but I do believe it helps.

• Like 2