Big crochet in 2023

I wasn't sure about posting this here, but it's kind of exciting and I wanted to share it because you are all so kind and supportive.

I recently got an email from the Guinness Book of World Records that my application for a record breaking attempt has been approved.

The record?

Longest crocheted scarf by an individual.

The current record set in 2021 is 646 feet.

I'm going to try for 700.

There are a lot of rules to follow, and I have to record and upload a lot of evidence of the entire process. But I want to try this, because it's a wild and crazy idea and I've never done anything like this before.

I'm terrified.

Bring on 2023.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I was just wondering--is there any way to make it where it could be taken apart into sections that would be usable scarves when it's all done?

My plan is to cut it/break it up to donate the yarn to some charities that make warm things. There is one local here to me that collects things all year round for different places.

• Like 2

That's a great plan. I can't even imagine how much yarn it will take. Although it kind of "hurts your feelings" to put that much work into it and then unravel it.

Looking forward to pictures of your progress. What is the start date?

21 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

That's a great plan. I can't even imagine how much yarn it will take. Although it kind of "hurts your feelings" to put that much work into it and then unravel it.

Looking forward to pictures of your progress. What is the start date?

I'm starting on January 1st.  It's hard to wait though, but I still have Christmas presents to work on.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:07 PM, Ellie 13 said:

Does it have to be continuous, or can it be sections sewn together :think ? 5-foot scarves could be taken apart later. I saw something about the world's biggest granny square once.  Good luck. 

Ellie 13

It has to either be continuous or the squares can't have a significant gap. And if I am using a bigger hook even the solid granny would have too many holes. :(  Because I thought about making squares.

That's interesting. I hadn't really thought about hook or yarn size. Are you using worsted weight or larger? I would guess there's a minimum for the width of the scarf, too. Do you have a plan for handling the bulk of the scarf? Turning each row will get to be cumbersome for sure.

13 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

That's interesting. I hadn't really thought about hook or yarn size. Are you using worsted weight or larger? I would guess there's a minimum for the width of the scarf, too. Do you have a plan for handling the bulk of the scarf? Turning each row will get to be cumbersome for sure.

Going to be using worsted, because it's what is in most of my stash and also easy to buy/thrift.   The minimum width is 7 inches.  I hadn't thought too far ahead in terms of turning as I go. I may have to enlist the spouses help.

Later today I'm going to make a solid granny with a J hook, and ask the official people if that would be acceptable. Because for so many reasons making squares and sewing them together would make this easier. :)

9 minutes ago, Ellie 13 said:

Maybe you could make 7 in. X 5 ft. and sew them together end to end. Afterwards they could be taken apart and given away.

Ellie 13

That's the plan! :)  This way it's easier to handle and split up when it's over. I just have to wait for someone to get back to me to make sure the "holes" in the square are okay. There are a lot of rules I have to be careful with or else the whole project would be rejected.

Maybe you can find a pattern that's "solid" like dc's, shells, post sts , ect. in rows. If each 5 (6?) foot section is different, I'll keep you from getting bored. Also, use as many colors as possible (people might be willing to donate :yarn). Good luck.

Ellie 13

• Like 1

So after a lot of thought and discussion I have decided that I'm not going to make this attempt.  The requirements are a little insane and I'm having concerns about it messing with my day to day. Not trying to ruin relationships and such over this.

Thank you everyone for being so supportive and interested in the idea. ❤️

• Sad 2

That is too bad but you know, you are creative and talented so you will come up with another amazing idea again.  Best to relax and enjoy your craft and not put too much pressure on yourself.  I Can't wait to see what else you create.

• Like 1